Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Anyone found a dead guy named Frey while doing the quest in GB-23 ? Pretty strange story about whispers in his head. Neat story tho.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Does the game ever establish that you knew anyone on Hope?

When you talk with the Vicar Max , you can say why are doing this. Then you say thats for your family, friends, because it's the right thing to do or "I don't know." There's a few dialogues that let you create your own motives.

Seethe

Arbiter
World kinda keeps me in, writing isn't that bad. Anyone who says otherwise is an ANCAP retard who gets triggered over how Ancapistan is portrayed. The gameplay/shooting however, is pure ass. I'd rather play FNV again from that perspective.
I mean if your vision of ancapistan is taken from ancap ball memes(botched and unfunny ones) then yes, indeed.

Ancap is a childish ideology, and a retarded meme in of itself. That's why memes are the first thing that come to your mind when you hear of it. Literally wherever I look on the internet and someone says "bad writing", it's because some kiddie diddling libertarian is ironically seething at the sight of his ideology being paraodized, instead of properly reviewing the writing. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, if it wouldn't happen so often, but it gets frustratingly predictable at this point, because I tell myself "maybe this time, the reviewer won't get triggered at capitalism being mocked" only to be proven wrong almost every single time.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am the law.

Vicar Max has the best ultimate ability lines and I have no problem using his over and over to see him posing with his boomstick and quipping like Ashley Williams.

I'LL TAKE YOUR CONFESSION NOW! *BOOM*

MAY THE LAW HAVE MERCY ON YOU! I WON'T *BOOM*

NEVER ANGER A MAN OF THE CLOTH! *BOOM*

THE STRONG SURVIVE AND THE WEAK PERISH :obviously: *BOOM*

Groovy

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Vicar Max has the best ultimate ability lines and I have no problem using his over and over to see him posing with his boomstick and quipping like Ashley Williams.

Yeah , he's pretty badass. I glad that they made the pro corporation companion so likeable. Also his quest and backstory are the best so far. Hacker Priest , best Priest.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/9
Basic UE4 .ini tweaks, mainly disabling unwanted gfx effects and mouse smoothing, settings which can not be disabled individually ingame. No additional files or reshades.

https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/8
Optionally Patches Saving anywhere, Fast Travel anywhere, and forces a particular difficulty

https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/5
Removes the awful chromatic aberration effect from the game

https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/1
A simple guide to unlocking the UE4 developer console - mess with developer commands, cvars and more!

BTW, you can go to your USERNAME/AppData/Local/Indiana/WindowsNoConfig folder and edit the default Unreal Engine 4 ini files; you can look up UE4 engine cvars here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

I haven't done it yet but one tweak you can try out is increasing the Render Distance scale to 2.0 and above (default would normally be 1.0, I assume; it's that way in Dragon Quest 11 which is the most recent UE4 game I've done this with) and see if that helps with the constant asset LoD popin.

The above tweak needs to be a cvar added to the Engine.ini file, btw, NOT the GameUserSettings.ini. After adding it to the Engine.ini make it read-only.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of my Dragon Quest 11 Engine.ini, and I assume you can just do the same with the one for TOW, they're just default UE4 commands:
UE4tweak.png

I used to use 0.5 distancescale before upgrading my GPU, but now I leave it at 1.0 in that game. The "DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing" set to '2' turns on UE4's Temporal anti-aliasing, which is not normally available in DQ11, if you set it to '1' then it switches to FXAA. Motion blur cvar is self-explenatory. Outer Worlds uses TAA by default so I suppose adding that cvar with a value of '1' would switch it to FXAA, I guess. A value of '0' turns it off, obviously.

EDIT 2: Another cvar related to view distance and asset pop-in is this one
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.35 ;game's default max setting is 0.25,

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Saltuna huh, trenchant.

Why do I get the feeling however that whoever wrote this erudite piece on the nutritional merits of processed foods was unironically eating gob fulls of edible insects and washing it down with bottles of soy.

CuckMasher

Novice
I just started it and the hilarity of the freaks you can make with random char gen is well worth $1

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Amazed at people saying they finished this in 18 hours or whatever. I'm at over 15 and just got to my second zone after the big ship. Not usually the type to say "you rushed through" but jesus...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
if you think this thread is bad, wait until BG3 releases...

:dance:
First comes bloodline 2 :)

Some are already priming themselves for disappointment with that while others already think it is shit. BG3 still has an air of mystery and hope because of Larian as well as the lofty expectations of cargo cultists.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think somebody already mentioned this, but UI options are pretty cool in this. Quest markers can be turned off, skill checks can be switched to only show if you're close enough in the given attribute. Highlighting containers can be turned off, same for the flying damage prompts. Dialogue window can be also speed up. And some other useful stuff that you rarely see.

BinaryForest

Novice

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom