Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Something tells me this is going to fail, but not for the right reasons (being pure, unadulterated cancer). Google has an extremely poor track record with projects that don't immediately take off and make shitloads of money (Nest is the most recent example). i dunno...My money is on them nurturing the tumor for a year or two and then letting it die a slow, agonizing death from capital starvation as they incrementally shift resources away to other, new shiny baubles that have caught the company eye.

Ever since their founders went all Scrooge McDuck with their gazillions, Alphabet/Google have been virtually indistinguishable from any other Big Tech firm in their financial strategy:

1. Throw a bunch of shit at the wall. Note what sticks.
2. Buy out any of your potential competitors. Gut them quietly behind closed doors.
3. When in doubt, SHUT IT DOOOOOWN!

That third one is what will ultimately sink Stadia, methinks.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Diverse/Inclusive means a lot to millennials. They are so depressed they need to hear these sort of words to know that they are being nannied.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I read diverse and inclusive as - "nobody working on this project will give the slightest shit about what they are doing beyond getting their next paycheque".

Which is fair enough I suppose. This is one of the most bland and technologically unambitious projects Google has ever embarked upon.

Diverse/Inclusive means a lot to millennials. They are so depressed they need to hear these sort of words to know that they are being nannied.

It's also a salvo to game journalists and Redditfags to seed the narrative that criticism of Stadia, etc. can be treated as "alt-right", "incel", etc. You know, like they do with everything now.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

It's also a salvo to game journalists and Redditfags to seed the narrative that criticism of Stadia, etc. can be treated as "alt-right", "incel", etc. You know, like they do with everything now.
I don't get it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Something tells me this is going to fail, but not for the right reasons (being pure, unadulterated cancer). Google has an extremely poor track record with projects that don't immediately take off and make shitloads of money (Nest is the most recent example). i dunno...My money is on them nurturing the tumor for a year or two and then letting it die a slow, agonizing death from capital starvation as they incrementally shift resources away to other, new shiny baubles that have caught the company eye.

I think game streaming is the inevitable hell we're all in for, but that doesn't mean Google will be the ones to break out with it.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

I think game streaming is the inevitable hell we're all in for, but that doesn't mean Google will be the ones to break out with it.
Probably. The aristocracy have definitely caught on that the way to put us all back in our places is to push the "rental economy" at every turn.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's a good point that this could easily fail due to Google's track record of shitting out a bunch of half baked ideas that they never pursue and let die. They are the ultimate millennial company in that aspect.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing the huge amount of investment and infrastructure this service needs, I doubt this will be another sideproject which will be abandoned by Google. And this is not just about them, they will have contracts with all the big publishers. Also, if the service will work at least half decently, the mainstream gamers will be standing in line and throwing money at them. Why would they abandon it?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Seeing the huge amount of investment and infrastructure this service needs, I doubt this will be another sideproject which will be abandoned by Google. And this is not just about them, they will have contracts with all the big publishers. Also, if the service will work at least half decently, the mainstream gamers will be standing in line and throwing money at them. Why would they abandon it?

"Codex wants it to fail, therefore it will fail" seems to be the logic in this thread.

They are luddites protesting against mechanized looms. However right they may be, they simply do not understand the forces in motion.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I really want it to fail for legitimate reasons, but I think it will succeed. I think there is a chance it will be like betamax though.

Swigen

Arbiter
I just can not wait to press a button and have it register a full 3 seconds later on my new Google Stadia!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
98.7% of the players pressed "Square" here. You pressed "Triangle".

However, Stadia predicted your death by pressing "Triangle" and pressed "Square" for you instead.

Would you like to disable the Win button prediction?
No.
Yes.

Stadia detected you chose "Yes", this has been corrected to "No" since 99.3% of players chose "No"

Zep--

Tehdagah

Arcane

"Codex wants it to fail, therefore it will fail" seems to be the logic in this thread.

They are luddites protesting against mechanized looms. However right they may be, they simply do not understand the forces in motion.
Gamers aren't very rational. Back when the Wii was released gaming boards were filled with people confused about its popularity and asking why Nintendo abandoned the True Hardcore Gamers™.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guise streaming is coming, like it or not. Complaints about "rental economy" are funny, PC gamers have lived in a rental economy for the past decade at least. Your Steam, Origin, uPlay, Blizzard or Epic libraries are just an illusion of ownership, you can play as long as these corporations exist. Same will be true for Stadia.

If Google's claims about a minimal impact of latency are true this technology will absolutely steamroll all other distribution models in under a decade. Personally I could care less about rental vs. ownership but the extermination of modding will fucking suck so much. A lot of games are only playable for me thanks to various QoL or overhaul mods. Can't even imagine playing vanilla my favs like Don't Starve, Civ5, Witcher 3 and dozens of other classics without mods.

J1M

Arcane
Stadia's first development studio in Montreal: https://canada.googleblog.com/2019/10/game-on-our-first-stadia-studio-is.html

Game on! Our first Stadia studio is coming to Montreal

As a child, I spent countless hours playing video games with my sisters. They transported us to exciting new worlds and took us on captivating adventures. They even taught us valuable life skills—three kids and only two controllers meant we had to learn problem solving and cooperation pretty quickly!

I was also fortunate to live in Montréal, a city with an amazing gaming legacy, having launched dozens of studios, thousands of careers, and countless incredible games. Today I’m thrilled to announce our contribution to that heritage, with the creation of Google’s very first original games studio in Montréal. Stadia Games and Entertainment’s studio will produce exclusive, original content across a diverse portfolio of games in all your favorite genres. Stadia is designed to be one destination for all the ways people play games—and Montréal is where we’re going to start building them.

Just as Stadia intends to change the way games are accessed and experienced by players, we want to change the way games are made. That starts with our culture. Stadia is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace; these diverse perspectives will shape the games we create together. We’re committed to building an environment that will empower the developers who work at Stadia to create new, unique gaming experiences. (P.S. If you’re interested in joining us, check open positions on our jobs site.)

I’ve been making games for a while now, and wouldn’t trade the experiences I’ve had for anything. But we can do better. We can do more. At Stadia, we don’t believe in being “good enough.” We believe in being more: More ambitious. More inclusive. More accessible. More immersive. More engaging. We’re bringing that mentality to Stadia Games and Entertainment, and now with our first studio, we’re looking for the best developers on the planet to join us.

Jade Raymond, VP and Head, Stadia Games & Entertainment
Oops, looks like Ubisoft helped launch our platform so we went and poached a bunch of their employees to thank them in that city that pays a 40% salary subsidy. Good news! They already know how to publish to the Stadia platform. -Google

Last edited:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Complaints about "rental economy" are funny, PC gamers have lived in a rental economy for the past decade at least. Your Steam, Origin, uPlay, Blizzard or Epic libraries are just an illusion of ownership, you can play as long as these corporations exist. Same will be true for Stadia.
Good thing I never went for any of those, then. Sometimes the best solution is just not fucking buying shit from douchebags. Crazy concept, I know.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Stadia is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace; these diverse perspectives will shape the games we create together. We believe in being more: More ambitious. More inclusive. More accessible. More immersive. More engaging.

I don't know what any of these words mean anymore. They are used to describe EVERYTHING these days. Completely meaningless gibberish.

These things are gibberish because they don't mean anything. All companies care about is making money, so basically replace anything after more ... with money and you get it

Dexter

Arcane

Gamers aren't very rational. Back when the Wii was released gaming boards were filled with people confused about its popularity and asking why Nintendo abandoned the True Hardcore Gamers™.
Remind us what happened with Wii Game Sales after the initial Hype of Wii Sports/Fit subsided and especially third parties found out that you can't sell games for consoles sitting unused somewhere in a Nursing home? (And the console generation afterwards)
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendos-profit-falls-52-in-fiscal-half-year-2009-10-29

Tehdagah

Arcane

Remind us what happened with Wii Game Sales after the initial Hype of Wii Sports/Fit subsided and especially third parties found out that you can't sell games for consoles sitting unused somewhere in a Nursing home? (And the console generation afterwards)
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendos-profit-falls-52-in-fiscal-half-year-2009-10-29
It went from excellent sales to good sales. The WiiU didn't have the same audience.

soulburner

Cipher
Guys? Is this thing, like, being openly tested anywhere yet? Are there actual reviews of how this works on users' PCs?

What I was going to say. Wii sold fast and hard to a bunch of boomers based on a gimmick then basically became a non-player throughout the entire second-half of the 7th gen, and it's attach rate was complete shit - around half of what the 360's was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom