Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Doktor Best

Arcane
It has been said several times in this thread: If you want to criticize the game, do it properly. So far the Codex has been doing a very poor job at that imho.
Or you will summon critic police?

Channel-4-News-calls-in-security-after-Cathy-Newman-is-subject-to-a-torrent-of-misogynistic-abuse.jpg
wat

I'll translate: You are strawmanning.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Just one more container." "Just one more sidequest." "Just one more firefight." The core gameplay loop is solid

Sure it is. "Bury players in busywork so mind numbing they completely forget they're bored out of their skull" is a true and tested tactic. Been there, done that, learned a lesson, became a better man.

Doktor Best

Arcane
It has been said several times in this thread: If you want to criticize the game, do it properly. So far the Codex has been doing a very poor job at that imho.
Or you will summon critic police?

Channel-4-News-calls-in-security-after-Cathy-Newman-is-subject-to-a-torrent-of-misogynistic-abuse.jpg
So what you're saying is that TOW is not garbage?

From what ive gathered so far it is no new New Vegas, but its also not garbage. I will post my thoughts when ive had time to play more.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
That's the saddest thing about it. People keep recommending TOW not because of it's merit, but because it hasn't been stuffed with symptomatic AAA trash like microtransactions and DLCs :negative:

How many times in the last 10 years we've been telling ourselves that "mods will fix it" or to "wait a year for patches?"

A $60 game that doesn't launch in beta-state, is actually polished and finished on launch and doesn't try to sell you horse armor for 50 dolla is practically a unicorn nowadays. Of course TOW gets praise for that, as it should.

I'm sure DLCs will come eventually, but planet-hopping structure is well-suited for that. Downloadable content should expand on TOW's world nicely, unlike most other games where DLCs always feel like cheap money grab.

+10000 xp
LEVEL UP
LEVEL UP
LEVEL UP

Failed a Volition check I guess.

Also I'm thinking that if I manage to finish this I might write a review and tell you lot wot I REALLY think. Don't hold your breath though.

Edit: also what Shadenuat said. The core gameplay loop is solid, and this is dead easy. "Just one more container." "Just one more sidequest." "Just one more firefight." The evil ape is not a learning animal

Yep. Tim Cain certainly picked up a few tricks during his time making MMOs.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
She's introduced late and isn't very interesting. She really doesn't have a personality to speak of and feels like another victim of multiple writers pulling in different directions.

I got her into the party pretty early, not long after I got onto Groundbreaker. You're right about lacking a personality, but ... well, no more than the others really.

I finished Parvati's love-quest and man... really, whoever wrote that shit has no inner life. At all. It was just utterly vapid from start to finish. I was hoping there would be some kind of twist but nah. Go drinking, introduce them, buy soap, get casserole, get pie, buy something nice to wear, arrange date, it went well, everybody's happy, the end. Like... how much more vapid can you get?

None. None more vapid.
It's a shame because she's otherwise pretty well written. Her quest doesn't mesh with her character at all.

Isn't it pretty banal tho? Searching for her mother would be much more logical, dramatic and potentially more interesting in the gameplay department as well.

Reinhardt

Arcane

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
She's introduced late and isn't very interesting. She really doesn't have a personality to speak of and feels like another victim of multiple writers pulling in different directions.

I got her into the party pretty early, not long after I got onto Groundbreaker. You're right about lacking a personality, but ... well, no more than the others really.

I finished Parvati's love-quest and man... really, whoever wrote that shit has no inner life. At all. It was just utterly vapid from start to finish. I was hoping there would be some kind of twist but nah. Go drinking, introduce them, buy soap, get casserole, get pie, buy something nice to wear, arrange date, it went well, everybody's happy, the end. Like... how much more vapid can you get?

None. None more vapid.

What is the meaning of vapid? :)

Prime Junta

What is the meaning of vapid? :)

Dictionary sez "offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging; bland." I'll go with that.

Edit: it's a shame the game doesn't let you name your party, or even the ship, could go with Vapid Response Force.

I think this might be my favourite rpg ever…like ever (maybe even ever more than Deadfire and Horizon Zero Dawn and Bloodlines) it’s like Obsidian released the most amazing Netflix series over the weekend
g0gRYio.png
I’m still only in Emerald Vale but the writing and the characters are amazing the world is IG filtered so good and the ships AI is voiced by Damsel!!!! To go from high cult lewks like Deadfire and glow up to the Outer Worlds and have everyone online and irl talking about it….Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain are like Cher and Dionne they are that fierce at makeovers!
Yes, you are right. I am sorry for ever criticizing TOW. GotY 2019 for sure.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I finished Parvati's love-quest and man...
Remember them saying in development it would have no romances, which was good to hear. Felt like there was focus driving the writers to break out of the Bioware mould. Can't be done, writers need to shove a romance in by proxy
rating_lulz.gif

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
parvati isnt the most attractive character in the game, it's just a preschool best friend experimentation thing, she'll come around

Paul_cz

Arcane
Parvati bugged on me so my quest with her is botched because she "died" eventhough she is chilling right besides me walking around. Pretty annoying little bugfucker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom