Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds Released

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Outer Worlds is available for purchase for $60 on the Epic Store and the Microsoft Store. However, if you have Windows 10, we recommend that you instead rent the game via Xbox Game Pass for PC, which costs just $1 for the first month. They're practically handing it out for free. If you ask me Epic got ripped off here.

I paid the $1. I've been, for the last 2 hours, trying to download the game but the microsoft store is giving me one new error for each time I try to download the game. Thank you Infinitron, I really appreciate the advice.
Well it's 1 dollar for a reason. :D

Menacer

Novice
I paid the one dollar if I'd paid 60$ for this game I would be pissed. The main story sucks balls, the companions are all trash, and the combat is horrible. The only saving grace is the dialog options are better than Fallout 4 I guess. The game will be nowhere near as moddable as the Bethesda games and my guess is nobody will be playing this game in a month.

I really liked Obsidian's last few games Pillars of Eternity 1, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity 2, I know it's not the same development team or type of game but this game is very underwhelming.

Foamhead

Educated
I love it how people are piling on on this game, while loving Fallout New Vegas at the same time. While they are basically the same style of game, same "quality" writing and just better gameplay.

When I first came here many years ago Baldur's Gate and KotOR were slagged relentlessly, now they are held up as the good ol' days by most. I gurantee you most of the people shitting on The Outer Worlds have not played it. The way it works at RPG codex is all new games suck unless they look like Ultima IV and require making maps on graph paper.

Foamhead

Educated
That's the same bullshit argument as used for piracy. Yeah, we will just "try" it, and then if we like it, we will pay. Who is being naive now?

A. This is a trial period for the subscription, which will go to full price after a month.
B. Not only does point A apply, but also consider the fact that it was the developers parent company who is choosing this promotion. So it’s not the same as piracy.
C. Companies put their games on sale or bundle it in deals all the time. Are you saying you never take advantage of sales? You never buy in a bundle?

I’m not being obtuse. You’re purposefully being dumb because you’re a fan of the studio and want others to help support it.

Newsflash: Just because studio fanboys want to give Feargus or other Obsidian execs bonuses doesn’t mean the rest of us have to stop acting like consumers.

What’s next? You start triple folding your toilet paper to go through rolls faster because you love the feel of Charmin Extra Soft TP and you want the parent company to do super well so “we can ensure our great toilet paper company can thrive”?

You're not a consumer when you steal. Period. Just because 7-11 sometimes has candy bars half price does not make it okay to just pick one up and walk out the door with it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Years ago Baldur's Gate and KotOR were slagged relentlessly, now they are held up as the good ol' days by most.

Cause the standard is getting worse, duh.

When something becomes progressively shittier, even that which was shit (at the time) becomes acceptable. The same thing can be observed in the movie industry.

I gurantee you most of the people shitting on The Outer Worlds have not played it.

But once you play it... everything changes!

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Years ago Baldur's Gate and KotOR were slagged relentlessly, now they are held up as the good ol' days by most.

Cause the standard is getting worse, duh.

When something becomes progressively shittier, even that which was shit (at the time) becomes acceptable. The same thing can be observed in the movie industry.

I gurantee you most of the people shitting on The Outer Worlds have not played it.

But once you play it... everything changes!

And don't forget music (hiphop, dead rock, endless celeb musicals), food (melamine, corn syrup, fluoride and MSG are good for you!), books (I only read game of thrones, Oprah novels on top 10 lists, etc), and sports (everything). Games are just another unfortunate passenger on this highway to hell.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Can't even write the title correctly. Pathetic. Also, you ousted yourself as being Polish.

I remember shouting at my 6th grade English teacher. I insisted that Maus would make for a better book report than any crap her other students read, despite being a graphic novel. This was back when everyone let me skip class to paint flowers, thinking someday they could make a quick buck off my fame. Well, I showed them!!!! I swore to never again be good at anything out of pure spite! HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

They never made a penny....

Foamhead

Educated
You're not a consumer when you steal. Period

Who said anything about stealing?

Your response to:

That's the same bullshit argument as used for piracy. Yeah, we will just "try" it, and then if we like it, we will pay. Who is being naive now?

Again, I don't know if Outer Worlds is good or bad yet (will try to play it tonight), but if you want certain types of games developed (other than Bethesda/Bioware crap), put your money where your mouth is.

Was:

Dummy, they already got their money via an Epic games handout. Stop being obtuse.

If you're going to insult people you should try having a memory longer than a goldfish, dummy. I have problems.

The only area where PorkyThePaladin is incorrect is condemning those who take advantage of Microsoft's 1$ offer. If they choose to offer the game under those terms and people choose to take advantage of it, the customer is perfectly entitled to do so and has done nothing unethical.

Last edited:

Mustawd

If you're going to insult people you should try having a memory longer than a goldfish, dummy.

Maybe you should invest some points into reading comprehension. The post was in reply to his whining about the developers not getting financially rewarded for the game, and that buying the $1 subscription was somehow costing them the ability to keep on making more games like The Outer Worlds.

Seeing that EPIC already paid them a generous amount if it’s in line with other payouts, I don’t think they’re exactly hurting if you simply choose to purchase the $1 subscription trial. Also, as someone else pointed out, increasing the number of subscription users is actually a positive for The Outer Worlds.

Foamhead

Educated
Maybe you should invest some points into reading comprehension. The post was in reply to his whining about the developers not getting financially rewarded for the game, and that buying the $1 subscription was somehow costing them the ability to keep on making more games like The Outer Worlds.

Seeing that EPIC already paid them a generous amount if it’s in line with other payouts, I don’t think they’re exactly hurting if you simply choose to purchase the $1 subscription trial. Also, as someone else pointed out, increasing the number of subscription users is actually a positive for The Outer Worlds.

Well fuck a duck, you are correct. I misread his comments.

I would invest points in reading comprehension, but I already spent them to make my dick shoot confetti on a critical success.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Sailor Woedica .....will you marry me?

proposal-photographer-pictours-paris-photography-16.jpg

ravenshrike

Novice
Dummy, they already got their money via an Epic games handout. Stop being obtuse.
Citation fucking needed. Any evidence at all that Obsidian saw a dime of Epic's advance to Private Division?

Companions are very bland and their main utility in combat is distracting the enemy. I haven't looked it up, but I'm willing to bet the first companion is written by Stark, since she seems to have trouble imagining the thought process of someone who isn't a California hipster. The companion in question is a pajeet woman who has trouble expressing her feelings towards her lesbian crush.
I'm 80% certain that whoever did the writing for Pavarti's emotes and Edgewater content was a different person than who did the writing for her companion quest.

selkin

Liturgist
Did Boyarsky or Tim Cain wrote any part of conversations in the game? How about NPCs?
I did not follow the news of development closely.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did Boyarsky or Tim Cain wrote any part of conversations in the game? How about NPCs?
I did not follow the news of development closely.
Cain has sworn to never write again after ToEE. Boyarsky got the title of narrative lead and has apparently written some stuff, but it appears as though the bulk of the writing and the management of the team was done by Starks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Infinitron https://www.fictivate.com/game-design.html
Senior Narrative Designer (Team Lead)
  • managed a team of game designers and writers to implement core features such as:
    • the critical path/main storyline content
    • companions
    • player ship
    • Phineas' orbital lab
    • voice sets
  • designed and wrote
    • companions
    • iconic, main characters
    • area content and regional storylines
    • quests, computer terminals, examinables / journals, items, and decor descriptions

aris

Arcane
I love it how people are piling on on this game, while loving Fallout New Vegas at the same time. While they are basically the same style of game, same "quality" writing and just better gameplay.
It's the hive mind in action. No brain, just go with whatever the consensus is based on some arbitrary shit. Usually edgyness and tryhard "all games made after 1995 suck" attitude by newfags, or as seems to be the case here: Superstition when it comes to publishers.

I just started playing it, and I'm liking it so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom