Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So I played up until Goliet, and some things that stand out right away.

Game looks very nice. The environment and art are pleasant to look at, as are the weapons and character armor (from what I've seen of it). The combat seems fun and fairly snappy on the first impression. What's really bothering me is the lack of a proper highlight key (unless I missed it). It's like I have to just randomly move my camera around to see if there is anything I can pick up or select. Also, the biggest thing is the framerate. Is there any way to fix this, as it's like the game is running on permanently shit 20 FPS. Any mods?

Other than that, there is just the typical Pirahnna Bytes jank it seems. Damn shame that utter shit games get so much funding when something like this which looks very promising right off the bat doesn't, which in turn hampers the polish and overall playing experience of the game.

The 'highlight' is actually an in-game feature. There's a headgear (glasses) that perma highlights items you can pick up. There's a few different types of glasses that do different things -- highlight machines, highlight organic things, and one that gives a skill that populates your minimap with enemy dots.
It's not just the Glasses that have those effects. You can get them through the skill system. It's pretty useful since you can only wear 1 pair of glasses.

The Sixth Sense skill in the Survival tree populates your map with enemies (red dots).

Berserkers get access to the Sense Life Spell which highlights organic things.

Outlaws can craft and use the Scrap Scanner Chem which highlights regular items.

Clerics can take Technophile which highlights synthetics and high-tech stuff.

Murk

Arcane
True, but those are all temporary (except 6th sense) and some are locked based on which guild/faction you join, where-as with glasses they're always active so it's easier to scan items as you run around; the glasses are also relatively easy to get even in a new game.

Though my point was that the item highlight = in-game skill/ability rather than a hotkey/interface thing.

Also, tangentially related, the hidden armor bonus that glasses give basically makes them better than most helmets except for the poison/radiation resistant gasmask when in those specific areas. Also, maximum swag.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, tangentially related, the hidden armor bonus that glasses give basically makes them better than most helmets except for the poison/radiation resistant gasmask when in those specific areas. Also, maximum swag.

The armour bonus was patched out.

Murk

Arcane

The armour bonus was patched out.

Pretty sure it's still there, since you can see your actual armor value with the cheat tools and I get a larger value than the sum of my armor pieces. Even in a non-modded version of the game.

EDIT: Massive derp on my part, forgot I had the armor-up skill (it apparently gives 5).

JDR13

Arcane
Anyone else starting to get a little nervous about the sequel? I thought we would have heard some news by now.

Jinn

Arcane
Anyone else starting to get a little nervous about the sequel? I thought we would have heard some news by now.

It's extremely odd we haven't heard anything official yet, but I'm hoping they are going to do a big announcement closer to the actual release date. Was hoping for something at Gamescom this year, but no. Chances are we'll get something solid announced in 2020.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah given that it's been in development for years now at this point they must be planning to do one of those Rockstar radio silence then 3 month media blitz leading up to the release campaigns.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I thought we would've gotten some ELEX 2 info a year after 1's release, but taking this long is quite odd. Either they are in some kind of development hell or they are building all new tech for ELEX 2, which would be surprising to me. I expected them to use ELEX 1's engine and tech and just make a sequel that improves on everything with added polish.

Murk

Arcane
There's a ton of open threads in the base game (Baxter, the council, the areas outside of the zones we have access to (Carakis based on the letter in William's shack), and what the Hybrid references in the end with "the new rulers").

Really surprised they have not revisited the Night of the Raven style of add-in since forever, seems like so many of their games would benefit so much from it.

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

How is Baxter a lose thread?
I thought Baxter is just Hector of the Thieves Guild

Morkar Left

There's a ton of open threads in the base game (Baxter, the council, the areas outside of the zones we have access to (some outlaws mention fleeing to another place and name it, but I cannot recall the name right now), and what the Hybrid references in the end with "the new rulers").

Really surprised they have not revisited the Night of the Raven style of add-in since forever, seems like so many of their games would benefit so much from it.

They kind of mentioned that they are not really fans of addons or DLC. DLC mostly because of the backlash they got because people thought it's cutted out from the maingame (Risen series). Addon mostly not because it takes too much time to make in relation to sold numbers. In that time they are already focusing on a new game.

It's extremely odd we haven't heard anything official yet, but I'm hoping they are going to do a big announcement closer to the actual release date. Was hoping for something at Gamescom this year, but no. Chances are we'll get something solid announced in 2020.

I don't know. I didn't have the impression that PB are a lot into marketing their games. Mostly because of time management I think. And was there much marketing over Elex before it got into launch phase? I don't remember that (but the soundtrack from the release trailer was nice).

Jinn

Arcane
And was there much marketing over Elex before it got into launch phase? I don't remember that (but the soundtrack from the release trailer was nice).

There wasn't much, but there were at least interviews and screenshots a couple years before release. Considering their development cycle is usually around 3-4 years per game, it is pretty strange we haven't seen any of that yet.

Murk

Arcane
How is Baxter a lose thread?
I thought Baxter is just Hector of the Thieves Guild

I kind of meant the overall factional power-struggle with the two factions (Baxter still has a bunch of loyalists in Tavar and even in the fort) and also:

The Thieves in the underground move out to other lands, "the other side of the mountains", which could just be a Gothic 3 reference or could mean actually leaving the area.

They kind of mentioned that they are not really fans of addons or DLC. DLC mostly because of the backlash they got because people thought it's cutted out from the maingame (Risen series). Addon mostly not because it takes too much time to make in relation to sold numbers. In that time they are already focusing on a new game.

That's a damn shame; NOTR is still my highest benchmark for "best (style of) expansion to a single player game". I do agree about the DLC part being something that should have been with the main game, but it doesn't _have_ to be that way.

Last edited:

curry

Arcane
I thought we would've gotten some ELEX 2 info a year after 1's release, but taking this long is quite odd. Either they are in some kind of development hell or they are building all new tech for ELEX 2, which would be surprising to me. I expected them to use ELEX 1's engine and tech and just make a sequel that improves on everything with added polish.
Piranha Bytes was purchased by THQ Nordic this summer. Wouldn't be the first time a new owner ruins everything.

Morkar Left

Piranha Bytes was purchased by THQ Nordic this summer. Wouldn't be the first time a new owner ruins everything.

Not really. They stated they can still pretty much do whatever they want. THQ Nordic just acts a s a publisher who is responsible for the marketing and all hat. I guess that's absolutely true as long as PB has the same amount of success than before.

Murk

Arcane
They were already working together anyway, so eh.

Red Panda I am a bit off form doing the thieves' guild quests again, but do you recall

when Hector admits to being Baxter? He has the outlaw captain armor but that could just be cuz he's a literal outlaw. Was trying to recall if you ever get real proof of it or not.

Last edited:

Nah he doesn't actually admit it, but says something like he has influence in the Outlaw camp.
Also Rat says he's still meeting with Baxter and he's in the thieves guild.

Murk

Arcane
Nah he doesn't actually admit it, but says something like he has influence in the Outlaw camp.
Also Rat says he's still meeting with Baxter and he's in the thieves guild.

Ah, I wouldn't take that as absolute proof but fair enough, it's a hint at the least.

It also aligns that
Rat only meets him after he replaces Blake, who had ties to Baxter still.

The last thing i can remember is that there's a document in Dukes bunker in which he assumes that Baxter escaped over the mountains which is the
same plan Hector has.
So there are a few hints but it isn't as obvious as with Cain in VtMB.

Murk

Arcane
The last thing i can remember is that there's a document in Dukes bunker in which he assumes that Baxter escaped over the mountains which is the
same plan Hector has.
So there are a few hints but it isn't as obvious as with Cain in VtMB.

That's in William's shack, he mentions 'Carakis' specifically which is across "the border" -- and after you finish the thieves' quests under he domed city, they all "leave" presumably to beyond the mountains.

https://elex.gamepedia.com/Letter_about_Baxter

Codex Year of the Donut
Checked on the developers from ELEX credits, a significant portion of them have left the company over the past year or so.
Any germans aware of what's going on with PB?

JDR13

Arcane
It'll be a huge shame if we don't get a sequel. I know not everyone liked Elex, but I thought it was one of the most original settings I'd seen in a long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom