Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Have to agree with several others here, the writing is garbage tier reddit/tumblr fan fiction. I am -forcing- myself to play through now that I'm at Monarch but so far this is my experience:

1) Nearly every NPC of importance is a stronk independent wahmen. I mean every single one. Chief of Police Edgewater, Head of Security Groundbreaker, Chief Juliel, Sublight chief, etc. etc. it skews at least about 2/3 to 1/3 Female-to-male I'd say.

2) Related, almost every one of these women are the same personality cloned over & over again because it is the only thing these fucking lefty robots know how to write being that they see the world through their one dimensional prism. Snarky, sarcastic, and so hip and in on the joke at all times. The very thing that drives most men away from them IRL too because it gets so incredibly tiresome so fast. Other than Parvati there hasn't been a single somewhat feminine female in the game, I guess at least they throw you a bone early on even if she has no interest in a bone or anything else. *shrug*

3) The game should be called the Outer Fedex Processing Center. "Go get me this doodad, hey! can you go fetch this flimflam, do you have time to retrieve my fidget spinner?" 75% of the quests are of this variety, particularly the side quests. Again, we are churning out NPC Robots by the truckload at indoctrination centers universities who are trained to not have an original thought in their tiny manipulable brains. This comes out hugely in the quest design & particularly the writing.

Anyone carrying water for this game that it is even remotely in the league of even Fallout 4 much less NV has clearly heavily hit the crack pipe just prior to playing. It is shit tier writing, especially after the wonderful graphic novel (pseudo RPG) Disco Elysium.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well...
they kept the males frozen in Hope.
That's your motivation.
That explains the plot clearly why it's a male who saved you.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
didnt read pages in here, im probably repeating some points

it doesnt feel like rpg

1. there are skills but they dont matter. Similar to pathfinder -> its not hard to cover every skill check. New case in here is how easy those checks are -> you can start your game covering all the skills at 10 pts or so. This gives you more xp so you lvl up faster so you can rise all the skills up evenly. As such there is no impact on choices you make in game due to char build/progression.
2. You can use and wield anything. There is no skill/attribute requirement. My below avg str guy can carry machine gun fine. It appears that you can obtain most of weapons early, rest are unique versions with some improvements. Power comes from incremental tinkering which is limited by your lvl.
3. player skill vs character build: melee appears to be fine - you need to lvl up defense, and get crucial skill driven perks to unlock important stuff. If you stick to guns however... not so much. Better handling? whatever. If you are good at fps games you stay untouchable while dropping headshots left and right. In fact I didn't put anything into combat/defense yet. Im almost done with 3rd area and I have yet to improve my combat capabilities. I have 4 lvls of skill points unassigned as I couldnt decide what I need. Apparently nothing for now. Not that you need to be good at shooting or something. There is so much ammo everywhere that I assume one can just spray and pray(from behind the cover)

One can't stop himself from comparing it to fallout 4. Its basically same as boring numerical/percentage increases got replaced with in theory complicated system that doesnt matter with how easy game is.
Fallout 4 actually felt more interesting as a shooter and gun tinkering was more fun. So far, there was no gun to attach silencer to. Also ammo/parts/food/meds were hard to come by at the beginning.

Which doesnt mean I dont like the story or setting, that even though its high capitalism it feels like communism. Too bad gameplay pulls me away. Im not sure I will finish it.

Probably worst offender is that sneaking isnt fun. I have a feeling I would enjoy it more if I respec and force myself to melee only. There is a possibility that game was designed around that

The game suffers from the same problemn after level 20 or so in New Vegas too much skills points but as the game is much shorter , its becomes much apparent early than was New Vegas.

We need a J.Sawyer mod soon.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
You like men eh. Lots of men in the video games. A masculine narrative. Traditional virile values. The phallus is omnipotent, but gentle at the same time. It must come from within, but also express itself outwards. And so, women want to take over the world, and the video game. A fatal mistake. God is absolute. The Phallus eternally erect. It must come from within, but also express itself outwards. As I walk through the valley of death, the masculine virtues eject sperm all over the maternal stratosphere. There can be only one. Power is Unity. Unity is the Phallus. These fools think to emasculate us, but I write on an rpg internet forum. I am beyond contemporary feminist culture. Nothing stops men from taking what they want. And what they want is the phallus. You know you want this fucking dick bonzo. It's coming out for you. It must come from within, but also express itself outwards.

Drowed

Arcane
Which doesnt mean I dont like the story or setting, that even though its high capitalism it feels like communism.

Yeah, that's because of authoritarianism. Historically, most extreme left-wing governments tend to authoritarianism rather than libertarianism (not to be confused with liberalism). So when we talk about authoritarian entities, our first thought always tends to be communist governments. Capitalism can also perfectly lead to the same extreme given the appropriate context, but the irony is to see that many people put the idea of authoritarian capitalism in the future defend a position that has already shown itself as authoritarian in the past (and present).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
didnt read pages in here, im probably repeating some points

it doesnt feel like rpg

1. there are skills but they dont matter. Similar to pathfinder -> its not hard to cover every skill check. New case in here is how easy those checks are -> you can start your game covering all the skills at 10 pts or so. This gives you more xp so you lvl up faster so you can rise all the skills up evenly. As such there is no impact on choices you make in game due to char build/progression.
2. You can use and wield anything. There is no skill/attribute requirement. My below avg str guy can carry machine gun fine. It appears that you can obtain most of weapons early, rest are unique versions with some improvements. Power comes from incremental tinkering which is limited by your lvl.
3. player skill vs character build: melee appears to be fine - you need to lvl up defense, and get crucial skill driven perks to unlock important stuff. If you stick to guns however... not so much. Better handling? whatever. If you are good at fps games you stay untouchable while dropping headshots left and right. In fact I didn't put anything into combat/defense yet. Im almost done with 3rd area and I have yet to improve my combat capabilities. I have 4 lvls of skill points unassigned as I couldnt decide what I need. Apparently nothing for now. Not that you need to be good at shooting or something. There is so much ammo everywhere that I assume one can just spray and pray(from behind the cover)

One can't stop himself from comparing it to fallout 4. Its basically same as boring numerical/percentage increases got replaced with in theory complicated system that doesnt matter with how easy game is.
Fallout 4 actually felt more interesting as a shooter and gun tinkering was more fun. So far, there was no gun to attach silencer to. Also ammo/parts/food/meds were hard to come by at the beginning.

Which doesnt mean I dont like the story or setting, that even though its high capitalism it feels like communism. Too bad gameplay pulls me away. Im not sure I will finish it.

Probably worst offender is that sneaking isnt fun. I have a feeling I would enjoy it more if I respec and force myself to melee only. There is a possibility that game was designed around that

If you take the Leadership skill to enable Companion skill - they can basically knockdown 2 targets for you at the start of the fight.
Then you just rush in with a time dilation shot to knockdown and proceed to pop their moles with your melee.
And yeah, don't sneak. Combat sneaking is just vanilla.
And the game keeps throwing generic loot at you over n over.
It comes to the point where I had only 2 guns equipped and armor set...and I'm still at 40 carry weight due to the consumables that I never had any need to consume. That's just bad balancing overall. Not to mention Tinkering (Science 20) makes your damage progression way too easy. All you need is broken down crap gear and bits.

Vatnik Wumao
Having obtained the game through unfathomable means, I am ready to embark upon this arduous journey for the good of the Codex and the proper roasting of Soy Worlds.

22Oz1GG.jpg

See you around, space cowboys.

Yosharian

Arcane
chinese are the evil ones at the moment. they need to update.
russians turn is in 2020 when they start hacking and rigging again

Fucking LOL @ thinking ANY mass media product is going to portray China in any kind of negative light.
Does almost every western news agency counts as media product? Because all they do is spewing negative made up bullshit about China.
The media is full of shit, but what exactly is this 'negative, made-up bullshit' that is supposedly being said about China?

The most recent one includes police in Hong Kong are brutally attacking the "peace loving protester who only wants freedom". In reality the protesters are throwing Molotov cocktail and robbing stores. Oh and the government are taking their freedom away, when in reality they have more freedom comparing to the days they were ruled by the UK.
The protestor one I'm not familiar with, so I'll grant you that one. However, isn't it a fact that the Chinese government literally doesn't let its citizens talk about historical events openly? I'm not sure I buy that such a government allows more freedoms than Chinese citizens had historically under UK rule.

But, even if I do buy that, how is that a positive thing, ultimately? It's 2019, favourable comparisons against British Empire-era restrictions on personal freedoms should be a given, not something deserving of congratulation and praise.

Frahnk

Novice
This is a pretty good microcosm of the problem. The last few Obsidian games have felt like they were written by a bunch of people who had no life experience outside of the East/West coast upper-middle class. Every character has either felt like a stereotype, "based on a friend of mine from university :)", or both.

True for Dollarhyde (born and grew up in crazy-expensive San Francisco) and Patel (same in Houston, also appears to come from affluence), but Starks is slightly different. She grew up middle-class in a large North Carolina town, so still cushioned but a bit more grounded than the others.

Interesting. This Starks chick seems like someone to keep an eye on, especially in tandem with the cheesy romance novel shit. Bioware was beginning to crack the code of "Cheesy romance novel with C&C". Whoever is the first one to figure out how to make a dating sim for chicks is going to swimming in cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

jf8350143

Liturgist
chinese are the evil ones at the moment. they need to update.
russians turn is in 2020 when they start hacking and rigging again

Fucking LOL @ thinking ANY mass media product is going to portray China in any kind of negative light.
Does almost every western news agency counts as media product? Because all they do is spewing negative made up bullshit about China.
The media is full of shit, but what exactly is this 'negative, made-up bullshit' that is supposedly being said about China?

The most recent one includes police in Hong Kong are brutally attacking the "peace loving protester who only wants freedom". In reality the protesters are throwing Molotov cocktail and robbing stores. Oh and the government are taking their freedom away, when in reality they have more freedom comparing to the days they were ruled by the UK.
The protestor one I'm not familiar with, so I'll grant you that one. However, isn't it a fact that the Chinese government literally doesn't let its citizens talk about historical events openly? I'm not sure I buy that such a government allows more freedoms than Chinese citizens had historically under UK rule.

But, even if I do buy that, how is that a positive thing, ultimately? It's 2019, favourable comparisons against British Empire-era restrictions on personal freedoms should be a given, not something deserving of congratulation and praise.
The irony is, the protesters want to go back under the rule of UK, and claiming that they have more freedom back in the day(before 1997, not 1897, so not really the British Empire era). When in reality they don't have the right to vote or protest back then in the first place.

The government only stops people talking about some certain events in the mainland, not in HK. And the reason this event was not to be talked about is much more complicated than "freedom of speech is bad".

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The irony is, the protesters want to go back under the rule of UK, and claiming that they have more freedom back in the day(before 1997, not 1897, so not really the British Empire era). When in reality they don't have the right to vote or protest back then in the first place.

The government only stops people talking about some certain events in the mainland, not in HK. And the reason this event was not to be talked about is much more complicated than "freedom of speech is bad".

Hong Kong had the right to protest since the late 60s, IIRC, and the British gradually expanded the number of seats in the legislative council that were chosen by direct election in the 80s and 90s. By the time of the handover, half the Hong Kong legislature was chosen democratically. After the handover, China appointed an entirely unelected legislative council. In the next election/selection, only 1/3rd of the members were chosen by direct election, the rest were government appointees or selected by small groups of officials. They’ve slightly raised the number of seats chosen by direct election since then, but it’s still less than half. Hong Kong did, indeed, have more democracy under the UK, at least in the nineties.

Also worth noting, the British wanted to give Hong Kong home rule. Starting in the 50s they made a number of attempts to democratize HK, but every time they attempted to introduce more direct elections Beijing would have a shitfit and get all bellicose until the Brits backed down.

zhab

Novice
Actually logging in to the Codex after so many years to thank everyone for confirming what I already intrinsically knew: game company rides their dogged old legacy of association with classic titles to spew out yet another uninspired, degenerate slurry of filth and shit. Does this ever not happen anymore? Is "incline" even real?
Fuck this gay Earth.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
30 pages since yesterday, good thing you guys don't like the game or I would never be able to catch up.

Fuller list of banned names here: https://pastebin.com/jTDiYsAy

1. corna
  2. cornas
  3. corno
  4. cornos
  5. cornuda
  6. cornudas
  7. cornudo
  8. cornudos
  9. xifruda
  10. xifrudo
  11. xifrudos

8 11 variations of "cuck" in portuguese

:abyssgazer:

edit: lmao, they included the BR equivalent of "black" but forgot to include "nigger".
edit: found more instances of "cuck", this time allowing for bad spelling.
They bothered into discovering the 11 different words for cuck in portuguese, prohibited of you using the name of your character that probably only you will see but didn't bothered into making a good game?:lol::lol: Those priorities are gold.

I can't call my character "Corno Manso, xifrudo rei de 2019.", what a shame. Alright, Obsidian, you are truly dead to me.

You cannot use improper words because it is offensive... in a game where you can happily kill people.

It reminds me something...

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Whoever unironically says TOW is peak ass-jew-eee because it has colourful shorthaired potatofaces (that's because Obsidians 3d artists are known to be unprofessional, lets face it, and fucked up with physics engine so they can't have animated hair) and women on higher positions (they are there because corpo beneficiaries would rather have loyal mediocrity instead of professional free thinker and man of character with actual spine who can overthrow them, based Tim&Leonard does it again), needs to pick up and play Call of Dooty Modern Warfare 2019 ASAP to witness the real SJW influence with zero self-awareness.
What sjw stuff is in MW 2019. It's war so I wonder how are they going to sjw it up, aside from the blaming a war crime on Russia. What other sjw shit have they added into the game? I don't play CoD last one I played was Black Ops 1.

Zerginfestor

Learned
man, the gore is such a letdown, to the point I miss Fallout NV's gore system, loved the bloody mulch and floor being soaked from the squirting, or if you got too close, your screen would form a sharp red hue before toning back to normal to signify blood splattering on your face. It's like a constant downgrade.
FNV/F3>F4>TOW.
The folks stating this game has 'interesting combat' or 'tactics' is clearly talking out of their asses or really that fucking sad. Nothing's interesting with watching enemies make a congo line for you, or shooting out in the open. The Debuff system with TTD (the slow time ability) is so fucking short, it provides nothing more than a temporary stun so you can burst enemies down. It's funny as fuck to realize that FNV did a far better job to make combat entertaining as hell and provide a limb system that works IN OR OUT of VATS, having this shit all stuck in TTD is absolutely garbage.
I found the gunslinger playstyle to be boring, Heavy Weapons was more enjoyable, most likely from my monkey cave man brain getting excited with rapid dakka, and actual 2 second neuron thinking of how to manage my bits in spending on ammo or saving. Melee was probably the best for me, mainly because you finally have to use enough energy in your brain to learn how to block and just do 'parries' to fuck everything up...or just get the right perks and steam roll anyhow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom