Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Prime Junta

Having finished the game, I think the it merely makes fun of rightoid-inspired prejudice, but is actually seriously harsh on "communism". What it's really critical of is not one ideology or another, but of human nature and the human propensity for self-delusion and dividing into "tribes", two things which go hand in hand with fervently subscribing to a totalitarian ideology.

I'll let you in on a dirty communist secret.

The story of Communism as it really existed is grand tragedy worthy of Euripides. From the fiery Manifesto, through the Paris Commune, to the victorious revolutionaries making love in the Winter Palace, through the dark and brutal days of War Communism, NEP, Stalin's cult of personality and purges, the terrifying brutality of the Great Patriotic War and the impossible victory over the Wehrmacht, the glorious days when it looked like actual, real Communism like Marx envisioned it was almost within reach: all of it, with the withering away of the state, plenty and leisure for everyone and a universal flowering of the human spirit. And then stagnation, decline, defeat by the forces of neoliberalism or worse than that, transformation into a travesty of what it was supposed to be.

We almost made it. The human cost was horrifying, but we almost made it. Or maybe we didn't and for a while there it just looked like it. And in the end, we ended up with nothing. Failure. A neoliberal, proto-fascist dystopia worse than in the countries that never attempted it. The closest approximations to it are the lukewarm strong-public-sector-with-free-markets Nordic countries and they're not only showing no interest in further progress but are declining further.

Every communist has to deal with this. It's a lot of baggage. We can claim the triumphs, yes, but we also have to face up to and own the horrors and the tragedies. Pol Pot's killing fields, Lubyanka, the famine of 1932, Bukharin in his cell writing a constitution for Stalin while waiting for execution, Lenin's liquidation quotas for class enemies, that's all ours too. It's a lot of cognitive dissonance to deal with and each of us deals with it in their own way, from STALIN DID NOTHING WRONG to TANKIES AREN'T REAL COMMUNISTS.

One of the things that really moved me about Disco Elysium is that it takes this cognitive dissonance and looks at it straight in the eye, and doesn't flinch. It is especially hard on Communists and communism because this is the place it comes from. We really need to do better next time. And we really do need to look really hard at the history we claim, and how we, as individuals and as Communists, relate to it.

Apologies for the sincerity. I'll go back to our regular programming presently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Having finished the game, I think the it merely makes fun of rightoid-inspired prejudice, but is actually seriously harsh on "communism". What it's really critical of is not one ideology or another, but of human nature and the human propensity for self-delusion and dividing into "tribes", two things which go hand in hand with fervently subscribing to a totalitarian ideology.

The story of Communism as it really existed is grand tragedy worthy of Euripides. From the fiery Manifesto, through the Paris Commune, to the victorious revolutionaries making love in the Winter Palace, through the dark and brutal days of War Communism, NEP, Stalin's cult of personality and purges, the terrifying brutality of the Great Patriotic War and the impossible victory over the Wehrmacht, the glorious days when it looked like actual, real Communism like Marx envisioned it was almost within reach: all of it, with the withering away of the state, plenty and leisure for everyone and a universal flowering of the human spirit. And then stagnation, decline, defeat by the forces of neoliberalism or worse than that, transformation into a travesty of what it was supposed to be.

We almost made it. The human cost was horrifying, but we almost made it. Or maybe we didn't and for a while there it just looked like it. An in the end, we ended up with nothing. Failure. A neoliberal, proto-fascist dystopia worse than in the countries that never attempted it. The closest approximations to it are the lukewarm strong-public-sector-with-free-markets Nordic countries and they're not only showing no interest in further progress but are declining further.

Every communist has to deal with this. It's a lot of baggage. We can claim the triumphs, yes, but we also have to face up to and own the horrors and the tragedies. Pol Pot's killing fields, Lubyanka, the famine of 1932, Bukharin in his cell writing a constitution for Stalin while waiting for execution, Lenin's liquidation quotas for class enemies, that's all ours too. It's a lot of cognitive dissonance to deal with and each of us deals with it in their own way, from STALIN DID NOTHING WRONG to TANKIES AREN'T REAL COMMUNISTS.

One of the things that really moved me about Disco Elysium is that it takes this cognitive dissonance and looks at it straight in the eye, and doesn't flinch. It is especially hard on Communists and communism because this is the place it comes from. We really need to better next time. And we really do need to look really hard at the history we claim, and how we, as individuals and as Communists, relate to it.

attachment.php

Have you forgotten Pražské jaro?

MasPingon

Arcane
We really need to better next time. And we really do need to look really hard at the history we claim, and how we, as individuals and as Communists, relate to it.

Sorry dude, but you will have to kill a lot of people again, including me, for this to happen. There won't be "next time", fuckers.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
We almost made it.
It was a horrible experiment in the application of a theory in practice, which ultimately proved that we can't escape our human limitations.

I don't know, like, guys, read something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butovo_firing_range

On average, 50 persons were executed per day during the purge. Some days saw no executions, while on others hundreds were shot. Records indicate the busiest day was February 28, 1938 when 562 people were executed

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We almost made it.
It was a horrible experiment in the application of a theory in practice, which ultimately proved that we can't escape our human limitations.

He is presenting the POV of the idealists, who usually comprise the first wave of those purged. Some survive to the second wave, and the more irrelevant of the idealists live long enough to be given a free apartment and a state pension for taking part in establishing the dictatorship, as long as they stay away from active politics or voice any objections to the regime on idealist grounds.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
We almost made it.

He is presenting the POV of the idealists, who usually comprise the first wave of those purged. Some survive to the second wave, and the more irrelevant of the idealists live long enough to be given a free apartment and a state pension for taking part in establishing the dictatorship, as long as they stay away from active politics or voice any objections to the regime on idealist grounds.

I was always impressed, that, for example, Lazar Kaganovich, who helped Stalin to seize power, made it into 1990s (!).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We almost made it.

I was always impressed, that, for example, Lazar Kaganovich, who helped Stalin to seize power, made it into 1990s (!).
So did Molotov. Molotov lived to see the wall fall, if I'm not mistaken.

This means Finland

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
We almost made it.

So did Molotov. Molotov lived to see the wall fall, if I'm not mistaken.

This means Finland

He almost did, died in november 1986, aged 96.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
We can claim the triumphs, yes,

How completely brainwashed you have to be to claim any triumphs for communism. :lol:

There's literally NO triumph. Everything communism touched turned to shit. Everything they did was either destructive or straight out evil.

Communism is just evil at its core. That's all there is to it. It's ideals (lies) made for something else, definitely not humans, but FORCED on humans. By a couple of elites who think they got the final solution. There's no greater evil than that. It's comic-book villain evil. It's amazing how deranged communists can be.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

We almost made it. The human cost was horrifying, but we almost made it. Or maybe we didn't and for a while there it just looked like it. And in the end, we ended up with nothing. Failure. A neoliberal, proto-fascist dystopia worse than in the countries that never attempted it. The closest approximations to it are the lukewarm strong-public-sector-with-free-markets Nordic countries and they're not only showing no interest in further progress but are declining further.

One of the things that really moved me about Disco Elysium is that it takes this cognitive dissonance and looks at it straight in the eye, and doesn't flinch. It is especially hard on Communists and communism because this is the place it comes from. We really need to better next time. And we really do need to look really hard at the history we claim, and how we, as individuals and as Communists, relate to it.

trotsky.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

trotsky.jpg

I also want to remind you that Ramón Mercader, killer of Leon Trotsky (depicted) was awarded with the title of Hero Of The USSR for this murder.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
the withering away of the state
Also imagine thinking that a dictatorship that was established just to profit from the work of the lied to and oppressed people, and be the only ones that ever profit from it would just go let all that go out of the kindess of their heart.
Takes a special kind of retard to be able to believe that.

Van-d-all

Erudite
I'm glad they were conscious enough to depict communism like that, but still I really wished they'd address politics seriously and actually have people take a step back and look at the whole picture, as the sad truth would certainly be unacceptable for the modern revisionist, leftist media.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm glad they were conscious enough to depict communism like that, but still I really wished they'd address politics seriously and actually have people take a step back and look at the whole picture, as the sad truth would certainly be unacceptable for the modern revisionist, leftist media.

Whole picture of what? This is a fictional universe with fictional problems.

Terenty

Liturgist
I wonder how they went about doing soundtrack for the game. I know they commissioned music to an English band British Sea Power, but it just fits so great with the whole tone and atmosphere of the game.

I mean the band never did music for other games before and they are not gamers, but nevertheless the music is just perfect in conveying the whole theme of the game.

On the other hand if you listen to BSP music a lot of it could be used as a soundtrack for Disco. Maybe thats why their were chosen

The only nitpick i can throw at it is that music pieces themselves are a bit short duration wise

Van-d-all

Erudite
Whole picture of what? This is a fictional universe with fictional problems.
The whole picture of rule of masses and social revolutions, for one. I'm sick and tired of hearing either utopian libtard paeans, or brain dead right wing accusations. Modern sociopolitical issues are gravely misrepresented, and pop culture, such as games & neighboring media became one of it's prime carriers.

Got bored and left

I wonder how they went about doing soundtrack for the game. I know they commissioned music to an English band British Sea Power, but it just fits so great with the whole tone and atmosphere of the game.

I mean the band never did music for other games before and they are not gamers, but nevertheless the music is just perfect in conveying the whole theme of the game.

On the other hand if you listen to BSP music a lot of it could be used as a soundtrack for Disco. Maybe thats why their were chosen

Some of their old music is used, straight up (if adjusted to fit a game) - the theme outside Whirling-in-Rags in Martinaise and the theme during dreams are examples. It really is a perfect fit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom