Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Is there an equivalent to fighting cazadores solo at low level here? Maybe there is a way to make the combat more fun with metagaming

There's the primals. They can be dificulty, especialy if you get by their N.Rays rocks that they throw at you.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This game's combat is very easy due to how much resources they sprinkled for you to take.
Ammo stops being a concern after the first planet. Same with healing consumable.
Companions are durable and able to wield upgraded weapons - they also provide skill boost so you can overcome skill checks without needing to invest on the actual skill.
Supernova tries to address this by making enemies hit harder, but that ended up making you abuse long range options more since you get a guaranteed hit from long range - the only downside is your companion can go perma-squish when not being babysit.

Ok so companions are out then. Even in FNV they made fighting too easy. It's not like we have MCA doing the writing here so I assume companions are probably not that worth taking anyway. What about solo fights though? Is there an equivalent to fighting cazadores solo at low level here? Maybe there is a way to make the combat more fun with metagaming.

You can go to a high level planet right after you finished the first planet.
Solo perk is available but you will probably have to struggle a bit with the incoming damage and having to juggle carry capacity while solo.

UI is a mess - I marked a consumable as 'junk' thinking it'd be automatically be marked as 'junk' on future collection so I can auto-vendor them away. Turns out this a one-time deal only and you have to re-do the steps again when you pick the items up. That's just dumb.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Thing with the wokenet is that it's mostly populated by white straight cis middle-class twentysomethings falling over each other to be inclusive.
This guy from Finland talks like one of the woke-brigade from California.
What it doesn't justify is that everybody in that post-racial world acts, thinks, and even talks completely wonderbread*
I don't get how you're from Finland.

Prime Junta

(No fatties though, apparently body positivity is not a thing in The Outer Worlds. Surprised nobody's complained about it yet.)
That's probably because of limited body models though.

They were able to design and animate a mantiqueen, I don't think a simple mesh transform would have been outside the capability of their technology. There's no fatties there because they didn't want them there. Same reason there's no children.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Parvati's quest would've been more touching if it wasn't about "btw I need to get laid lol" but rather something about her mother, instead. Looking for her, finding her (or her tomb), make a proper burial and pay respects after such a long journey to find her and close a chapter in her book.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
One could make an observation that vapid and uninteresting Parvati must be doing something right it she causes 50 pages of furious discussion and encourages people to emotionally debate politics of China, differences between man and woman, nuances of Californian lifestyle and meaning of life itself.

It almost seems that some of our esteemed posters have developed an obsession with a cute girl from a vidya game. And when nobody is looking, they stare dreamy-eyed at the sky, imaging a perfect TOW sequel where they get to finally play house with their asexual lesbian waifu.

:martini:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Doing groundbreaker and the more i play the more bored i am.
This is Pillars of Eternity writing all over again, sterile and boring.
The company angle seeping through every dialog are completely killing any sense of character characters have.

It is like playing looong boring office meeting.
That game theme should be quest for some place or planet not whole fucking game.

It is fascinating how complete newbs like Owlcat can completely outpace and leave Obsidian in dust in therms of writing.

Redirect power to Edgewater or the Deserters, what did you choose?

To edgewater and then removed head of edgewater.
Such a amazing choice "rolls eyes"

hiciacit

Liturgist
whats ace wlw
More importantly, I found this interesting and posted about it in the other thread:
kMjQvtA.jpg

Someone extracted a word list of words supposedly "banned"/filtered by the game: https://pastebin.com/jTDiYsAy

I'm not putting this shit on my HDD, can anyone check if this is accurate and words like
"Beaner", "Bimbo", "Cunt", "Darkie", "Dyke", "Faggot", "Feminazi", "Gays", "Gringo", "Hitler", "Homo", "Kaffir", "Lesbo", "Mongol", "Muslim", "Nazi", "Prostitute", "Queer", "Rape", "Retard", "Tranny", "Transexual", "Transgender"
etc. are also "unavailable"?

And if true, what does Obsidian have against the "Gays", "Muslim", "Queer" and "Transgender" anyway?

I see that "Queef" is still available. Just about what this game sounds like too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This. You become a writer by living, not by reading. You live a lot, and then, if you had it in you, you will be a writer. But the problem of graphomania has been around forever.

By his own admission, Chris Avellone was a fat meganerd when he wrote Torment.

You are expecting the writer, a valley girl, to have enough self-awareness to pass a Turing test. That itself is folly my friend.

Though Starks led the team, Boyarsky was the official narrative lead and they've indicated he wasn't phoning it in, unlike Sawyer on Deadfire. The buck stops there.

Wtf is a Southern Baptist? Don't expect everyone to know American muggle culture(?)...

Christians who started out pro-slavery but became pozzed in the late 20th and early 21st centuries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Baptist_Convention#Recent_history

it's that there are no non-white people in the entire game, just whites inhabiting a broad range of character models.

Outer Worlds is actually based..?!

Prime Junta

By his own admission, Chris Avellone was a fat meganerd when he wrote Torment.

To create anything of value, you need an inner life. It doesn't matter how you get it. If you're a turbonerd you can get it by devouring masses of culture, preferably of higher than shit-tier quality. If you're a Hemingway you can get it by drinking shittons of whiskey, traveling the far corners of the earth, meeting lots of people, fucking some of them, and beating up some others.

But you do not get it if you stay in a safe middle-class bubble subsisting on safe pre-chewed popular culture and the twittersphere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not that Parvati is a coconut, it's that there are no non-white people in the entire game, just whites inhabiting a broad range of character models. (No fatties though, apparently body positivity is not a thing in The Outer Worlds. Surprised nobody's complained about it yet.)

I am not past first planet, but are there Asians in-game? I do not remember seeing any on screens and videos.

Having someone vaguely Chinese/Korean-looking sprouting slogans would be a bit... interesting I guess.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It's not that Parvati is a coconut, it's that there are no non-white people in the entire game, just whites inhabiting a broad range of character models. (No fatties though, apparently body positivity is not a thing in The Outer Worlds. Surprised nobody's complained about it yet.)

I am not past first planet, but are there Asians in-game? I do not remember seeing any on screens and videos.

Having someone vaguely Chinese/Korean-looking sprouting slogans would be a bit... interesting I guess.
Grundbreaker captain is quite clearly ethnic Chinese. There's also an Asian vendor there. Conversly though, the whole place is depicted as the last oasis of free will.

Longshanks

Augur
Best recent actiony-close-to-RPG I've played is RDR2 and this game looks nowhere near that level.

Eh what?
Ok not close for some RPG definitions (including mine for the overall game), but at times it felt more like one than many openworld action RPGs. Mostly due to world building and emergent or emergent-seeming gameplay. if it makes you more comfortable let's say best recent actiony-game-with-rpg-elements. What it seems to have over TOW is better writing and a far better realised world. It could have been truly great if R* had decided to advance their game design and also lean further into a more serious sim.

The only decisionmaking RDR2 has is absolute windowdressing. Missiondesign is so painfully linear that you literally fail the mission if you run 5 meters in the wrong direction. Yes it has some crafting and some barebone stats system, but so does every other AAA production nowadays.

You cant put that game on the same level as TOW in terms of roleplay mechanics. TOW may be a bit more surface level compared to classic rpgs, but there are almost always several ways to solve missions and the amount of C&C even in one quest surpasses that of the entirety of RDR2.

It has been said several times in this thread: If you want to criticize the game, do it properly. So far the Codex has been doing a very poor job at that imho.
Of course you're correct, it's why I said RDR2 is only "close" to an RPG and as I later clarified only in parts and those parts certainly do not include the main story (I already alluded to this - "could have been truly great if R* had decided to advance their game design").

I gave the specific aspects I consider RDR2 to do better than TOW. They do not include reactivity and RPG elements. As I said in my first post, TOW's attempt at these is the reason I might consider playing it. The world building and writing don't seem too enticing to me, whereas these were the aspects that drew me to RDR2 despite other design weaknesses, hence the contrast.

I'm not looking to trash TOW, simply stating the reasons I may or may not play it and referencing a game I have played recently (one of the few). Unless I do decide to play I won't be posting about it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom