Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Name of the Rose game would be extremely cool. All 53 people who'd buy and play it would enjoy it tremendously.

Sign me up.

Go nuts. I've only played a bit, but it's actually pretty cool. In fact, if you'll permit the comparison, it's similar in certain ways to Disco Elysium, minus the RPG elements.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
've worked in a company with 90%+ women and it was like playing a rpg. you had different factions and they all tried to persuade you to join their side you could befriend or made enemies based on who you talked to or do quests for(helped them)
i went true neutral playthrough which in the end was a mistake coz nobody liked me

Should've completed quests for all factions and then killed them all to maximize XP.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
One could make an observation that vapid and uninteresting Parvati must be doing something right it she causes 50 pages of furious discussion and encourages people to emotionally debate politics of China, differences between man and woman, nuances of Californian lifestyle and meaning of life itself.

It almost seems that some of our esteemed posters have developed an obsession with a cute girl from a vidya game. And when nobody is looking, they stare dreamy-eyed at the sky, imaging a perfect TOW sequel where they get to finally play house with their asexual lesbian waifu.

:martini:
And i can smell your obsession with getting re-owned and those MS millions. I don't blame you mate,i too would have shilled this garbage if a few millions were at stake.

Trashos

Arcane
  1. If you are designing a character or a faction, make sure that you could pass an “ideological Turing test” for both the character and the opposite point of view and their view of the character/faction; otherwise you won’t be able to create interesting situations/challenges/conflicts for that character/faction and the resulting narrative will be unengaging. In other words, make sure you understand the point of view of whatever you are writing about and the opposing point of view.
You are expecting the writer, a valley girl, to have enough self-awareness to pass a Turing test. That itself is folly my friend.

I wonder what there reasoning is here. "Let's save money by hiring brainlets for our most important department, that is the only reason we still are in business"?

I have not played TOW, so I am judging from previous efforts [/disclaimer]. Your post was absolutely on point, Riddler. What I personally have trouble understanding is that important members of the current writing team were hired while MCA was still there. It is really-really hard for me to understand how he let that happen.

Father Foreskin

Learned
What a sad piece of old grannys shit. Obviosly I have never played TOW but I watched random lets plays. I bet somebody at Microsoft is looking at the game thinking why the fuck we bought this studio for. Cant wait for sawyers Dance Dance Kinect Name of a Rose.

Ultimately you just have to admit that the older you get the more stale you go. People past 40 dont make anything that isnt shit. FO76, TOW, Cyberpunk etc. Its like Metallica the game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
By the way, you do know that there are women untainted by the SJW plague, right? The problem may lie then in recruiting questionable artists such as Amber Scott or this Megan Starks, whom haven't produced anything of worth before this job, nor will produce it later.
Such women are taking care of their kids and helping at the farm or at house. They are not running around screeching about muh my writing skillz,waving their useless diploma.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
this forum is full of repressed homosexuals,24/7 crying of not enough phaluses in dem games.
Reported for
fedora.png
harvesting.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
  1. If you are designing a character or a faction, make sure that you could pass an “ideological Turing test” for both the character and the opposite point of view and their view of the character/faction; otherwise you won’t be able to create interesting situations/challenges/conflicts for that character/faction and the resulting narrative will be unengaging. In other words, make sure you understand the point of view of whatever you are writing about and the opposing point of view.
You are expecting the writer, a valley girl, to have enough self-awareness to pass a Turing test. That itself is folly my friend.

I wonder what there reasoning is here. "Let's save money by hiring brainlets for our most important department, that is the only reason we still are in business"?

I have not played TOW, so I am judging from previous efforts [/disclaimer]. Your post was absolutely on point, Riddler. What I personally have trouble understanding is that important members of the current writing team were hired while MCA was still there. It is really-really hard for me to understand how he let that happen.

I thought Fenstermaker was the one with control over hiring decisions. Care to weigh in Roguey ?

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My sense is that the developers who perform tasks associated with "area design" in the past would have also done the writing for those areas. Professional game development have evolved towards separating and specializing those roles.
It is more of a devolution and waste of corporate resources. The games are becoming more a industrial conveyor product and the devs are becoming more of a factory workers. The time of passion and desire to show your imagination and skills is gone,now it is time of professional workers doing for the money and delivering soulless bland products.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Seniority analysis - what's the earliest Obsidian game each worked on?

Leads

Tim Cain: South Park (Black Isle & Troika veteran)
Leonard Boyarsky: The Outer Worlds (Black Isle & Troika veteran)
Charles Staples: Alpha Protocol & Fallout New Vegas
Tyson Christensen: Alpha Protocol

Area Design

Jesse Farrell: Neverwinter Nights 2
Constant Gaw: Neverwinter Nights 2
Scott Hafner: Tyranny
Brian Heins: Neverwinter Nights 2
Denise McMurry: Fallout New Vegas
Marc Soskin: The Outer Worlds
Olivia Veras: Pillars of Eternity
Sydney Wolfram: Fallout New Vegas

Jonathan Lee: Pillars of Eternity 2

Robert Lee: Alpha Protocol & Fallout New Vegas
John Cotto: Pillars of Eternity 2
Connor Richards: Pillars of Eternity
Ryan Torres: Pillars of Eternity

Narrative Design

Kate Dollaryhyde: Pillars of Eternity 2
Paul Kirsch: Pillars of Eternity
Chris L'etoile: The Outer Worlds (BioWare veteran)
Daniel McPhee: Armored Warfare
Carrie Patel: Pillars of Eternity
Nitai Poddar: Pillars of Eternity 2
Megan Starks: Tyranny

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
I'm like 10 pages behind but I find it hilarious that 'Gogol' which is an actual name can't be used because it means... uhh... something in some language?

frajaq

Erudite
ehhhh he still makes some good videos about this shithole gaming industry so I'll give him a pass on this one even if he's wrong, no one needs to have 100% perfect opinions all the time

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd argue that Planescape: Torment goes far beyond well executed craft. Unless you meant Numa-Numa.

Well some here would claim TOW writing is well executed craft. That's not what I mean. I have much higher standards.
Plus if you really wanna further highlight one of those highlights it'd be Witcher 3, not Torment.

Sorry, but IMO Witcher 3 is just that - a well executed craft. Its map design perhaps goes further, but writing? I don't think so.

Comparing PST and TW3 does not look favorable for the latter.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
So Obsidian is the new Bethesda and the Outer Worlds is "bloody brilliant" !

Jim is such strange dude. He made some legit good videos then he brain fart then pull this shit..

This game is nothing like a Bethesda game and people delusional if one bad Bethesda and good Obsidian game gonna change anything. Btw I bet Jim himself gonna suck Elders Scrolls 6's dick when comes out.

Kate Dollaryhyde: Pillars of Eternity 2
Paul Kirsch: Pillars of Eternity
Chris L'etoile: The Outer Worlds (BioWare veteran)
Daniel McPhee: Armored Warfare
Carrie Patel: Pillars of Eternity
Nitai Poddar: Pillars of Eternity 2
Megan Starks: Tyranny
No FNV or MotB vets among the writers. Explains a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom