Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
One finds out how pretentious he is by the quality of his allies.
5HbGrse.png

tripedal

Augur
https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-has-ruined-the-outer-worlds-for-me/

It's hard to go back from that to "[Persuade] Please let me have more money for the quest I did" straight away. OK, so The Outer Worlds is better written than that, but the function of skill checks in dialogue is largely to get out of fights or get extra cash, and often your choices will have no bearing on conversations at all. Any insight you get will probably be freely offered moments later. Conversations, then, feel like they're on rails, and while you can pretend that your character has a personality and certain traits, it's rare that the game will acknowledge that beyond some throwaway dialogue options. It's like nobody is listening to me—my worst fear, aside from spiders.

Darkzone

Arcane
1) Since I loathe everything with vampires, werewolves or zombies in it I've never played Bloodlines and probably won't play B2 either.
2) Why, is this shaping up as woke garbage too?
1) Monsters are a expression of their times. Vampires have become teen romantic gay shit, because of Anne Rice and this Twilight thing. Werewolfs have still a sence of manace and terror besides the shit that is Twilight and Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Zombies are an expression of mindless nihilism and of an danger by the amorphous group. And Monsters are to be challenged and fought by the Hero, which is to be the protagonist of the story, and not being the protagonist or being played by the player.
2) Because they are seated in California and the sun has cooked there their brain?

Shadenuat

Arcane

It's hard to go back from that to "[Persuade] Please let me have more money for the quest I did" straight away. OK, so The Outer Worlds is better written than that, but the function of skill checks in dialogue is largely to get out of fights or get extra cash, and often your choices will have no bearing on conversations at all. Any insight you get will probably be freely offered moments later. Conversations, then, feel like they're on rails, and while you can pretend that your character has a personality and certain traits, it's rare that the game will acknowledge that beyond some throwaway dialogue options. It's like nobody is listening to me—my worst fear, aside from spiders.
and yet Dialog is still the only skill that actually provides some reactivity and changes events.
sometimes
it changes slides for sure. some of them

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.
Well, whether its capitalism, Marxism or straight up communism, these are all still materialist schools of thought. In my experience strict materialism is not an accurate representation of reality. The failure of all these doctrines is largely due to that. You can't build a house on shaky ground.

Vatnik Wumao

Zerginfestor

Learned
Shrink Ray seems absolutely useless. Finally decided I should fuck around with it, and it can't even keep the effect going after swapping to another weapon for a 'Shrink and Squash' caveman combo. Will probably emit superior DPS once the science perks are nabbed as well as Science being at 100.

Vatnik Wumao
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.
Well, whether its capitalism, Marxism or straight up communism, these are all still materialist schools of thought. In my experience strict materialism is not an accurate representation of reality. The failure of all these doctrines is largely due to that. You can't build a house on shaky ground.
Eh, metaphysics are a coping mechanism for the lack of scientific knowledge. With the advent of evolutionary psychology, man's soul can be slowly peeled off as to stare into the nothingness that'll be revealed at its core.

Darkzone

Arcane
[QUOTE="Prime Junta, post: 6381574, member: 5584"

https://www.marxists.org/glossary/terms/i/d.htm

For an example of idealism, what follows are the beliefs of three prominent idealist philosophers in regards to what is truth. While truth is an abstract, or ideal from reality; idealists understand such abstractions through equating them to other abstractions:

Descartes: "true are those things that are certain."
Husserl: "truth is doubt"
Hegel: "the element in which truth is found is the notion"
The materialist, on the other hand, understands abstractions by equating them to reality.
Marx: truth is known through practice[/QUOTE]
Btw. Did ever Marx stated that he took his chopped and messed up "Truth" definition from empiricism?

Eh, metaphysics are a coping mechanism for the lack of scientific knowledge. With the advent of evolutionary psychology, man's soul can be slowly peeled off as to stare into the nothingness that'll be revealed at its core.
I read quite a bit of that school as well. Mostly work by Buss tbh, but I don't agree with it. To explain a bit, from my own experience with life, the substratum of the material "world", whether its material in the psychic sense or in the chemical sense, supersedes the content. Or rather, the one united reality simultaneously becomes both the subject and object of experience. All evolutionary psychology, or any other theory for that matter, does, is creating psychic phenomena to "copy" or "portray" the actual thing. Only these copies are always faulty and inaccurate. You don't need them to explain things. All the explanations are evident, and you don't even need eyes to see them. All it takes is very sharp awareness without distractions.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Very nice read. I want to play Disco soon just preparing myself mentally because seems like a ride.. I hope all the hyped around is actually true.

That being said TOW for what's try to be is so far, imo , is really good.

Vatnik Wumao
I read quite a bit of that school as well. Mostly work by Buss tbh, but I don't agree with it. To explain a bit, from my own experience with life, the substratum of the material "world", whether its material in the psychic sense or in the chemical sense, supersedes the content. Or rather, the one united reality simultaneously becomes both the subject and object of experience. All evolutionary psychology, or any other theory for that matter, does, is creating psychic phenomena to "copy" or "portray" the actual thing. Only these copies are always faulty and inaccurate. You don't need them to explain things. All the explanations are evident, and you don't even need eyes to see them. All it takes is very sharp awareness without distractions.
I don't feel that I would be qualified to hold a debate on epistemology. Philosophy of this sort can offer chunks of wisdom if treated akin to the metaphors of bards and poets, but not knowledge in itself. I'd rather concede that an esoteric, capitalized Truth might exist, but all of our particular perspectives are grounded in our aesthetic sensibilities and earthly rationalizations.

I don't feel that I would be qualified to hold a debate on epistemology. Philosophy of this sort can offer chunks of wisdom if treated akin to the metaphors of bards and poets, but not knowledge in itself. I'd rather concede that an esoteric, capitalized Truth might exist, but all of our particular perspectives are grounded in our aesthetic sensibilities and earthly rationalizations.
It's not really about epistemology, that is, it's not a study of the development of mental models, but rather some personal notes on my observations of "direct experience". This Truth very readily does exist. In fact it's the only thing that exists. Direct experience, what is more truthful than that? Thinking about said experience and devising models to portray it in retrospect is what causes the mistakes, so really it's a second order error that's not all that important once one gets used to always accepting their direct experience without fretting over it, or trying to fit it into any sort of model or representation. Admittedly, conversations about this topic always does fall under either metaphoric mysticism, or downright "moon logic." The key point is that it's not a philosophy or a way of thinking. Truth has no positive definitions.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also town can be feel static, expection so far being Groundbreaker.

Shine is definitely wearing off this game 15ish hours in and this is a big reason. I've been to like 4 towns now and they're all very copy-paste and boring. There's no real back alley meetings or nooks and crannies to explore, it's just "here is the shop and here is the ambassador." It feels very MMO-like in design. The outside sections are much better, though also like Dishonoredbr points out the rewards are limited so it's not that exciting. I don't just mean loot (I actually find much better weapons pretty consistently), but more like there just being nothing interesting outside of quest areas. I'm wandering Monarch now and it's all bandit camps with loot or half-hearted unique locations that give you a map marker like "lover's point" but there's actually nothing interesting there. One reason New Vegas was so great is that it had Bethesda's knack for exploration along with Obsidian's knack for writing and RPG systems. Outer Worlds doesn't have that mix, for me.

Deleted Member 22431

Lmao, you got him embarrassed enough for him to change his avatar. :lol:
It was my original avatar. I felt insulted to be compared to the likes of Prima Junta. It was the second time someone throws this stupid joke on my face. Enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom