Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Vatnik Wumao
Do you guys think anyone at Obsidian considers that this might be a Pillars1 moment, and actually try to evaluate what they've done?
The thing with that is they didn't need to convince the vast majority of the playerbase of the "merits" of this genre. They already knew what they were going into and knew that they like it. PoE didn't have this advantage, it had to show the value of isometric RPGs and it failed to do that, as exemplified by the abysmal sales of both White March and PoE2.
This is at the end of the day a game for mass consumption meant to be enjoyed by casuals regardless of one's genre preferences.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is at the end of the day a game for mass consumption meant to be enjoyed by casuals regardless of one's genre preferences.
I wouldn't say regardless of them, but it is a genre that is currently popular and one that is basically monopolized by Bethesda. The normies who play this game don't compare it to the best of gaming, but only to Bethesda's excretions, so it seems to them like the height of creativity. The commercial success of this game (if it's true) doesn't surprise me.

Vatnik Wumao
It’s the biggest failure in fuckin’ years
You guys are delusional if you really think this. It's insanely popular with normies.
Sadly.

Edit: Nano, this only encourages the production of more video games in the same vein. If you plan on gobbling this sort of shit up like a good boy, then be my guest.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FNV/F3>F4>TOW.

FNV >>>>>>>>>>>>> F4/TOW >>>>>>> F3

I don't know. The actual gameplay in FNV sucked pretty badly (similarly to F3, but with worse exploration).
So I'd say FNV, F4 and TOW are all pretty close, each on its own merits. With F3 lagging behind.
Yesterday I started AND ended a new NV plathrough. Based on this unfortunately I have to report the following:

>>>>>>>>>>>> FNV/F4/F3>>>>>>>>>random Teletubbies MMO game>>>>TOW

Really, while I love the FNV world and vibe the actual gameplay is fucking painful today. I had to wrap it up after like 6 hours, I couldn't go on. Same for F3 ofc. In comparison F4 writing is completely retarded but the gameplay is way more bearable so it's a wash. Also I'd rather play a Teletubbies game than poison my brain with TOW's low-level woke toxic sludge.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Like frajaq points out, the market for this sort of game was open for the taking. Marketing was also pretty good with some great trailers. Last but not least, refreshingly honest and no-bullshit communication with the fanbase by Tim&Leon certainly helped.

lol this isn't what you were saying a week and a half ago https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...g-the-outer-worlds.130315/page-2#post-6362170

(they did supercharge the marketing in the final week though so you've got that)

Yes, but I never said it's going to flop, just that hype has significantly dropped from its colossal early levels. It was always going to be hit, especially being on Game Pass. Big question is if it's a massive hit, one that would warrant a bag of gold from uncle Gates to make a superior sequel for next-gen consoles. With all their competition seemingly determined to continually shoot themselves in the foot and no similar games in sight, the opportunity was there.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Based on this unfortunately I have to report the following:
>>>>>>>>>>>> FNV/F4/F3>>>>>>>>>
So you're on to Fallout 4 next then?
rating_lulz.gif

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Resolved the mystery of why the colours in this game are a mess (taken from polygon)

This is not to say that Obsidian hasn’t considered accessibility. The game works with the Xbox Adaptive Controller, for instance. There’s no colorblind mode, but that’s only because Tim Cain — one of the game’s creators, and one of the folks behind the original Fallout — is completely colorblind and built the game from the ground up to meet his needs.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Obsidian sitting on a winning ticket, since Beth dropped the ball with F76. Even if the game is painfully medicore and disappointing, it is and gonna be well received by the general audience.

Anyway, there's 1 quest I liked in Byzantium

The Retirement Center quest lol. Thought it was particularly dark and grim, seeing all the retired dudes just going into the meatgrinder,
Wouldn't be surprised if Leonard designed that quest and not Tim

Jesus. Some asshole on reddit was trying to convince me how EA is less profitable for Steam than Obsidian is for Epic. I'm escaping back here to regain my sanity points (which is like escaping a pit by jumping in to a well).

Shadenuat

Arcane
So, how woke is this game? I didn't remove it from inventory, not sure if it is worth the install.
moderately, not-so-subtle

they won't hit on you bioware style, but most quest givers/leaders are women (also old women, rough women with scars, women of different race and color), men are grunts/incompetent/shallowly written/bandits/crazies, whoever is not is probably an adorable scientist or is a secondary npc.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Resolved the mystery of why the colours in this game are a mess (taken from polygon)

This is not to say that Obsidian hasn’t considered accessibility. The game works with the Xbox Adaptive Controller, for instance. There’s no colorblind mode, but that’s only because Tim Cain — one of the game’s creators, and one of the folks behind the original Fallout — is completely colorblind and built the game from the ground up to meet his needs.

He actually said this in one interview but I will not bother to search for it. It didn't appear so important at the time.

Anyway, it's a dick move. If the guy went blind from so much dick then he should retire instead of forcing his gay vision on everyone.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Do you guys think anyone at Obsidian considers that this might be a Pillars1 moment, and actually try to evaluate what they've done?
The thing with that is they didn't need to convince the vast majority of the playerbase of the "merits" of this genre. They already knew what they were going into and knew they like it. PoE didn't have this advantage, it had to show the value of isometric RPGs to a new audience and it failed to do that, as exemplified by the abysmal sales of both White March and PoE2.

It was both a commercial and critical success due to market factors and not by the merits of the game itself and I would argue that much the same thing is happening here.

Bethesda has shit the bed in multiple ways and left folk both angry and jonsing for a single player "open world" game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It was both a commercial and critical success due to market factors and not by the merits of the game itself and I would argue that much the same thing is happening here.
But the commercial and critical success was only based on the first few hours of the game, word of mouth and indeed market factors. It obviously failed to retain fans however, i.e. it failed to convince anyone of its merits. This game will have DLC and we'll see if it's the same thing, but I don't think so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom