Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the THQ acquisition made the company gone trough some restructuring? i dunno. it definitely have something to do with ELEX 2 development. either THQ wants to make something else with PB or decided to increase scope of the game and have to overhaul some parts of the game

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Game looks very nice. The environment and art are pleasant to look at, as are the weapons and character armor (from what I've seen of it).
The graphics are dated but the art is generally consistent, so yeah it does look alright.
Also, the biggest thing is the framerate. Is there any way to fix this, as it's like the game is running on permanently shit 20 FPS.
Lower the settings, turn off vsync and check if you have something like a framerate lock enabled in your driver. The game also does have memory leaking issues I believe, when I played it on my old machine with 8gb of RAM the game seriously started losing performance in about one and a half hours of playing and certain things like opening the menu would take a long time, so you needed to restart it. No problems on my current 16gb machine, I've had multiple three or four hour sessions and it runs fine.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Checked on the developers from ELEX credits, a significant portion of them have left the company over the past year or so.
Any germans aware of what's going on with PB?
PB is no stranger to contracting and outsourcing, so maybe it's just temporary workers leaving. People like artists and programmers can more than likely get paid a fair bit better elsewhere. Or maybe things have gone terrible, Elex was a flop and they're restructuring.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game looks very nice. The environment and art are pleasant to look at, as are the weapons and character armor (from what I've seen of it).
The graphics are dated but the art is generally consistent, so yeah it does look alright.
Also, the biggest thing is the framerate. Is there any way to fix this, as it's like the game is running on permanently shit 20 FPS.
Lower the settings, turn off vsync and check if you have something like a framerate lock enabled in your driver. The game also does have memory leaking issues I believe, when I played it on my old machine with 8gb of RAM the game seriously started losing performance in about one and a half hours of playing and certain things like opening the menu would take a long time, so you needed to restart it. No problems on my current 16gb machine, I've had multiple three or four hour sessions and it runs fine.
I used the no-fog mod and knocked everything down to low and it feels a bit better, thanks.

Morkar Left

Checked on the developers from ELEX credits, a significant portion of them have left the company over the past year or so.
Any germans aware of what's going on with PB?
PB is no stranger to contracting and outsourcing, so maybe it's just temporary workers leaving. People like artists and programmers can more than likely get paid a fair bit better elsewhere. Or maybe things have gone terrible, Elex was a flop and they're restructuring.

Elex was one of the most successfull games they have released according to Björn. In Germany it belongs to even some of the most successfull German games released in years and got an award (https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/marketing-pr/meistverkaufte-games-april-2018-elex/)

rusty_shackleford That's strange. You have a specific list here? Because besides some outsourcing they basically keep the same crew around since years and seem to have a more like "family"-like culture than corporate culture. The offices are even located in a normal house insteasd of rented office rooms.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fuck you guys are scaring me. I needs me some PB incline.

No one does it like them. Even if ELEX's mechanics and living world are in some ways a decline from the golden Gothic days. Man do I miss the non-lethal combat and what it made possible: bullying, dick-measuring duels, people knocking some sense into you, sending "messages"...

Murk

Arcane
Sand surfing pirates with elex powered blasters and drug induced bombing runs is something I can get behind.

overly excitable young man

Elex 2 will just be Gothic 3.
"The aliens arrived and they have already won, Morra!"
Also explains the long development time.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Finished up my second playthrough. I turned off the rebalance mod later, it fixed problems just as it created them. I much prefer the more expensive but more deadly explosive weapons of the vanilla game for one, and Kaboom is a little bit OP with too few downsides compared to every other ranged weapon although it was fun to use. Dunno about magic or anything since I did Outlaws this time around. It felt a little worse than the first time around but I still managed to spend 44 hours in it, so it must be doing something right.

JDR13

Arcane
Finished up my second playthrough. I turned off the rebalance mod later, it fixed problems just as it created them. I much prefer the more expensive but more deadly explosive weapons of the vanilla game for one, and Kaboom is a little bit OP with too few downsides compared to every other ranged weapon although it was fun to use. Dunno about magic or anything since I did Outlaws this time around. It felt a little worse than the first time around but I still managed to spend 44 hours in it, so it must be doing something right.

I'm not a fan of the explosive weapons at all.. or flamethrowers for that matter. I felt they were overpowered and made most fights too easy. Ammo should be much more scarce at least.

44 hours is pretty fast for an Elex playthrough.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I felt they were overpowered and made most fights too easy. Ammo should be much more scarce at least.
It's 20c per shot. It really starts taking a number on you later down the line and you'll have to spend a few thousand shards on grenades every few hours. It's a net loss to use them most of the time.
I didn't finish up most of the companion questlines and I practically ignored the Hort and Ignadon, just like first time. My save game time was 34h or something like that.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Grenades/Projectiles/Rockets/explosive bolts are one thing...

...plasma cells and fuel is super cheap tho. With the flame thrower at least you can't run/jetpack without holstering the weapon first, but the plasma guns are definitely busted.

The overhaul mod mostly just adds a cooldown to mitigate this, but you can still perma juggle single enemies or tightly grouped enemies -- and it makes ammo way cheaper.

Murk

Arcane
The overhaul mod mostly just adds a cooldown to mitigate this,
And makes the damage dogshit, and the actually worthwhile grenade launchers require 90+ stats.

Yeah, I ditched it after a while too. The "overhaul" isn't really an overhaul so much as it is a series of tweaks. If you want more weapon options early on, it's not bad, and I do like that the named weapons are stronger -- though requiring extreme stats to use. I think most of the mods available are of this vein, and many outright have identical changes (some are just packaging mods together, but others recreate similar results like gemstones/ammo cost/spell duration/glasses-always-one/etc.)

I did find just using laser blasters was super easy tho, since energy cells are so cheap and you can just full auto blast things (for lower damage per shot, but so many more shots).

Overhaul did add some more descriptive text to skills though, that was a nice plus. I kind of wish there was an overall QoL update that replaces a lot of generic text with more informative ones, and specifically for upgraded weapons to have an explanation of what the modification does.

Still no clue wtf 'radiation' does, the best I can conclude is some kind of armor debuff

Reflector on the other hand seems to be outright just "swag".

JDR13

Arcane
I felt they were overpowered and made most fights too easy. Ammo should be much more scarce at least.
It's 20c per shot. It really starts taking a number on you later down the line and you'll have to spend a few thousand shards on grenades every few hours. It's a net loss to use them most of the time.

Maybe if you were using them exclusively, but who's going to do that? Most people aren't going to use a grenade launcher to take out rats and biters. You obviously just use them for the tougher fights, and it often makes those fights trivial.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Most people aren't going to use a grenade launcher to take out rats and biters.
If it was a group of 2 or more, I did. Single enemies were given the blade. In extended fights with 7+ tougher enemies it was standard to spend more than 60 grenades, and those really link together and make you go through a few hundred in no time. Infinite Skies took me over 200 grenades, I think.

JDR13

Arcane
Most people aren't going to use a grenade launcher to take out rats and biters.
If it was a group of 2 or more, I did. Single enemies were given the blade. In extended fights with 7+ tougher enemies it was standard to spend more than 60 grenades, and those really link together and make you go through a few hundred in no time. Infinite Skies took me over 200 grenades, I think.

It doesn't change what I said. Certain weapons are overpowered in Elex particularly the bigger guns. Flamethrowers are probably the worst.

What's Infinite Skies? Is that the name of one of the quests?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The research base in the Valley of the Damned. The place where you have to go to to get your Raider parts and the Hybrid's lair password.

JDR13

Arcane
The research base in the Valley of the Damned. The place where you have to go to to get your Raider parts and the Hybrid's lair password.

Ah ok, I knew it sounded familiar. The VotD was one of my favorite areas. I remember going there early on before the elevator was fixed and sneaking around because most of the enemies could one-shot me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom