Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Any good lock leveling guide out there? I found some variations on wowhead but they seem fishy and idk how I feel about Dark Pact and not using the skills on my pets.

Also, are voidwalkers really that shitty in classic?

Just dl Questie instead of using a guide, if you want to use meta knowledge. I find it irritating to look back-and-forth between my screen and guide, even if I use a 2nd monitor.

Dark Pact is nice if you use a Voidwalker since he is generally rather useless at his job, which is keeping aggro, and doesn't need the mana for himself. The VW doesn't actually do any threat, his skill is a crappy taunt that stops working when you have too much threat. The VW does such crappy damage that it's not enough for him to generate any threat on his own. This is why it's better to just use a Succubus later on, at least she does good damage.

The main point of the VW is sacrificing it for the sweet shield.

bloodlover

Arcane
Any good lock leveling guide out there? I found some variations on wowhead but they seem fishy and idk how I feel about Dark Pact and not using the skills on my pets.

Just dl Questie instead of using a guide, if you want to use meta knowledge. I find it irritating to look back-and-forth between my screen and guide, even if I use a 2nd monitor.

Dark Pact is nice if you use a Voidwalker since he is generally rather useless at his job, which is keeping aggro, and doesn't need the mana for himself. The VW doesn't actually do any threat, his skill is a crappy taunt that stops working when you have too much threat. The VW does such crappy damage that it's not enough for him to generate any threat on his own. This is why it's better to just use a Succubus later on, at least she does good damage.

The main point of the VW is sacrificing it for the sweet shield.

By guide I ment class guide, talent points allocation, stuff like that :P I already have Questie and even though guildies say that it does not show every quest in the game, it still worked fine for me. I hit level 53 on my pala just by using that alone and never grinding.

Absinthe

Arcane

Spellcleave groups are the easiest way to level up as Warlock. Solo leveling just consists of DoTting shit hard and letting your pet tank 1 mob while you facetank another (save your direct damage spells for this one) and Fear juggle a third and fourth (Fear juggle = Fear a guy until he's far away, then Fear another guy and break first Fear, when the first guy comes close and the second guy is far, Fear the first guy again, second guy runs back as first guy runs away, when he comes close, Fear 2nd guy again, rinse and repeat). If you have a Voidwalker, you can let your pet tank 2 or 3 mobs simultaneously. Just kill everything with DoTs like this, use Life Tap and Bandages (always skill First Aid, do not get Tailoring because all your cloth should go to First Aid - if you want a leveling profession get Alchemy instead). Never eat food or drink water unless you want a Well Fed buff or are out of Bandages. Eating and drinking is just too slow. And don't freak out about starting a fight with less than 100% health and mana. No sense extending downtime just to be at 100% when you're already good enough to go and spirit will recover a few ticks anyway. Drain Life is also a perfectly good way to keep going by converting mana into health, and Improved Drain Soul is a popular enough talent to give you fast mana recovery (honestly not needed, but it does help). That's your basic Warlock leveling strat afaict: the more mobs you kill simultaneously and the less time you waste in downtime, the faster you level.

Voidwalkers are just tanks and sources for Sacrifice shields. But they suck at holding aggro unless you have 3/3 Improved Voidwalker. Normally, you should avoid casting too many direct damage spells (except Immolate I guess) on an enemy you want your pet to tank. Otherwise you steal aggro and it goes to shit.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Level 56, warrior, me. Tanked every dungeon so far (spec: 30/16/0)

Guild, can you help me learn BRD? Later!
Guild, can you help me learn BRD? Tomorrow...
Guild, wanna do BRD together, I have never been there and am new to WoW Classic... (and warriors... (and tanking...))) -- Sorry, something came up...
-- 1 week later --
Guild, wanna do-? SORRY GOTTA RUN DIRE MAUL AND MC PUGS

Jasede enters LookingForGroup global
"Need 4 new players that are as stupid as me and want to do full BRD clear, all quests, for the first time. No guides. Bring time."
Group formed in 5 minutes.
We clear the entire fucking thing in 4 hours, including the Emperor. Group was me (58 by then), 60 Priest (who carried a bit), 52-53 random DPS hunters. Princess status: saved.
I get Hand of Justice from Angerforge, everyone passed, including the hunters. ("It's more of a melee item!")

I link HoJ in chat. Guild: "Man, you should have waited for us, we'd have shown you the ropes..."

----

The first run or two of Mara I could only get full runs. I got my Blackstone ring on the first try so I didn't have to do a lot of princess runs, thank god. Hopefully my luck will continue in the arena.

Ran Mara once fully, then 10 Princess runs. Ring dropped 3 times, I always lost it to some no DPS (bottom) Hunter/Ret Paladin. Finally, one day I am depressed and go fuck it, I am tanking a full run at level 55. Tank the entire thing. "Okay, so none of you need the ring, right?" "Sure thing boss."
Ring drops.
Paladin (bottom DPS healer) needs on it.
I outroll him.

Never fucking doing Mara every again in my life.

Gregz

Arcane
I've got my main to 60, and I'm a core raider on the #1 faction guild on my server.

We're clearing MC and Ony in the same night, which means there's not much left to do on the other 6 days a week except farm. Since layering was removed that's become a real pain however... :(

So I'm leveling an alt and skimming the AH, BGs can't come soon enough.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was in one of the top guilds but hopped to a different one since it's made up of countrymen and aligning raid hours with them will be easier. Now I'm leveling an Undead Mage on Gehennas because some of my friends insisted that we roll Horde alts there and it's not like I have much else to do with WoW atm. Also got a level 30 Nelf War in the oven with a Kang waiting for him to hit level 44.

Andronovo

Learned
I played some Nostalrius a while back but quit once I realized how long the grind was going to be to get to 60, especially as a warrior. Now WOW classic is out and it had my attention, but so does that $15 a month. Is there any way for me to not have to spend that much money on a game I'm lukewarm about? Are there any classic private servers that aren't shitshows?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I got to level 49 before dropping. And I had so much enthusiasm. What a shame.

Andronovo

Learned

That seems to be the general trend. People pick up classic WOW for a few weeks then abandon it. What made you quit before hitting endgame my autistic communist friend?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Gotta do a million quests to ding. That's too much work. If I'm gonna do so much work, I might as well do real work that pays.

Can't speak for others, but I quit around 50 something because:

1. Expected more content (honor, at the very least), but it's not the game's fault, it's blizzard being blizzard, milking it all the way
2. I missed the people more than the game itself (which is still better than retail, but has its downsides)
3. It's not early 00s anymore

Generic-Giant-Spider

Some shitty rogue that didn't believe me when I said I didn't intend to roll on Dal Rends and only wanted to get the UBRS quest done for the trinket gets styled on hard by a level 57 mage and rage whispers me for not helping.

"Damn, you really do need that sword."

KEK

Andronovo

Learned
Are there any other ACTIVE mmos with as good pve content as vanilla wow? If I could just tank dungeons all day and not have to grind and farm I would probably play it.

Gregz

Arcane

That seems to be the general trend. People pick up classic WOW for a few weeks then abandon it. What made you quit before hitting endgame my autistic communist friend?

That's not the general trend, sub numbers are still growing, and MC and Ony clears are increasing every week.

As for your previous question, there are some good private PvP servers, but if you want a good private PvE server you are out of luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom