Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
something about destroying all opp's lands in one turn while using pony sleeves just feels so good

4gfgE8O.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ffffffffuck I got beat hard by a deck that I loved so I made it and I can't get a single win out of it... I am gonna keep trying to make it work, I only know what cards the guy used, not quantities. There is no netdeck.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Basically it is like the Jace deck that mills itself and then wins, but instead of milling itself to the GY, it drew all the cards to its hand. 4 Dovin's Acuity for sure, and maybe some card like Radical Idea to draw and mill at the same time. It had The Magic Mirror to keep it all in hand, and then played Jace and drew some more and won from Jace's text. What impressed me is that he basically removed and countered everything I played. I didn't have a good draw so didn't even get to fight much, but I saved things like Murderous Rider because I knew he was going to play Jace after drawing almost his entire deck. But when he played the Jace, he had probably 20 cards in his hand so he easily countered my Murderous Rider. The deck had lots of removal too so seems like it could handle aggro. These are the cards I knew he had for sure:

Negate, Dovin's Veto, Prison Realm, Clear the Mind (to save him from losing before getting Jace out), Absorb (I guess 4 of these), Jace Wielder, Sinister Sabotage, Cry of the Carnarium, Mortify, Kaya's Wrath, The Magic Mirror, 4 Dovin's Acuity, Liliana Dreadhorde and Kaya Orzhov. I would guess he only had 1 of those PWs but probably a few Jaces.

I really like how its basically a Jace mill-self deck, but instead of milling yourself you keep it all in hand. And even before you get the Magic Mirror out to have more than 7 hand size, you can still use it to pick the best cards for your hand and just discard anything else. It seemed godly. My attempt was not good but I think I just needed more Carnarium for the aggro decks, and I don't have Absorb which seems super important.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Every fucking deck I play against now is that new Fires combo :( Fires of Invention, plays Bolas, plays Planewide Celebration, wins instantly. They ban the OP Field of the Dead deck and already there is a new auto-win deck.

Last edited:
Play mill, opponent's playing mono black, opponent's playing 4 maindeck lotleth giants with no way to cycle/kill his own creatures for some reason, die to a 15 point giant because SURELY HE DOESN'T HAVE A FOURTH GIANT IN HAND WHY WOULD HE PLAY SO MANY IN MONO BLACK WITH NO SELF MILL OR ANYTHING THE ABSOLUTE FUCKING LUNATIC. :argh:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Negate, Dovin's Veto, Prison Realm, Clear the Mind (to save him from losing before getting Jace out), Absorb (I guess 4 of these), Jace Wielder, Sinister Sabotage, Cry of the Carnarium, Mortify, Kaya's Wrath, The Magic Mirror, 4 Dovin's Acuity, Liliana Dreadhorde and Kaya Orzhov. I would guess he only had 1 of those PWs but probably a few Jaces.

Hmm this deck seems really janky he probably just got lucky with draws or countered your win-con tbh. Dovin's acuity doesn't make sense here since it's so expensive plus the deck doesn't have much that recurs it. Not sure what kaya's doing in there either.

I think a controlly self mill could work but it'd be better replacing acuity with senate guildmage or royal scions, some sort of looting that you can consistently do each turn for free or cheap to get mirror out faster. Problem is still that there isn't any ramp so it's gonna be tough to cast counter spells until late game idk..

I'm still convinced that the best self mill deck is just turbo milling yourself with risen reef + quasiduplicate and using fogs etc.. to stay alive. Something like this:

4 Root Snare (RNA) 137
5 Island (ANA) 62
4 Pause for Reflection (GRN) 140
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Quasiduplicate (GRN) 51
4 Shimmer of Possibility (RNA) 51
2 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
1 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
2 Portal of Sanctuary (M20) 71
3 Spark Double (WAR) 68
2 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Play mill, opponent's playing mono black, opponent's playing 4 maindeck lotleth giants with no way to cycle/kill his own creatures for some reason, die to a 15 point giant because SURELY HE DOESN'T HAVE A FOURTH GIANT IN HAND WHY WOULD HE PLAY SO MANY IN MONO BLACK WITH NO SELF MILL OR ANYTHING THE ABSOLUTE FUCKING LUNATIC. :argh:

Yeah losing to a deck that doesn't make sense is prolly one of the most frustrating things for me besides mana screw. People mainboarding sideboard cards pisses me off so much, it's like "yeah of course you have 4x Expose to Daylight in your BO1 deck" lol

Yeah losing to a deck that doesn't make sense is prolly one of the most frustrating things for me besides mana screw. People mainboarding sideboard cards pisses me off so much, it's like "yeah of course you have 4x Expose to Daylight in your BO1 deck" lol
Pretty much the two big sideboard cards I can really see mainboarding are noxious grasp and mystical dispute, 'cause fuck Oko. Grasp's a bit harder of a sell since it can be a completely dead card, but dispute isn't ENTIRELY worthless even if it whiffs.

Is fog still tolerable by the way? I've been scared off playing fog ever since questing beast entered the scene.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Is fog still tolerable by the way? I've been scared off playing fog ever since questing beast entered the scene.

Well the self mill deck probably isn't viable in ranked so if you're just playing that deck in unranked you probably won't run into questing beast that much. But yeah I wouldn't bring that deck to ranked.

I built a new Kaya OTK deck but I think it's better this time because it's more of an esper control deck with kaya+ashiok combo as a win-con

jttt1Qm.jpg

1kH6wyi.jpg

Vp1Yxr1.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah I can't make that deck work either, I think he must have got insanely lucky. He had everything work perfectly. I really wanted to make a steal-shit deck but that Fires combo is too big, I might have to can't beat em join em with that. I just need a few more wildcards for it.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
yeah of course you have 4x Expose to Daylight in your BO1 deck
whats wrong with that, recently most of the decks build around some enchantment or artifact

If you're building a hate deck vs like witch's oven or something then cool it's just that a card like that would be a dead draw vs red, gruul, simic, etc..

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Loool I love that card, that looks similar to the deck I used to play against Field of the Dead decks :D I never managed to make it very reliable against other decks though.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I really wanted to make a steal-shit deck

This is my "main" deck, it takes a bit to learn to pilot but it's a lot of fun and has good chances against everything. Against simic you need to have Teferi down fast, or play around the fact that they have counters and make them finish them
Deck
3 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
2 Island (ANA) 57
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
4 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
4 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
3 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
3 Justiciar's Portal (RNA) 13
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
1 Blossoming Sands (M20) 243
1 Thornwood Falls (M20) 258
1 Forest (ANA) 60
1 Pulse of Murasa (M20) 189
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
1 Quasiduplicate (GRN) 51
2 Plains (ANA) 56
3 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Charming Prince (ELD) 8
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255

and if you want to steal shit faster, there's always reanimator:

Deck
3 Fblthp, the Lost (WAR) 50
8 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
8 Island (ANA) 62
4 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
3 Duress (M20) 97
4 Blood for Bones (M20) 89
3 Tomebound Lich (M20) 219
2 Connive // Concoct (GRN) 222
2 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
4 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
1 Bond of Insight (WAR) 43
1 Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor (WAR) 56
2 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99

edit
to clarify the first deck: you ramp up the mana and play creatures that do something when they come into play, try to stay alive vs aggro (it's quite easy, lots of lifegain) and you are the beatdown vs control, the objective generally speaking is to always play at least a land per turn, and eventually take over by overwhelming value with your creatures.

early charming princes set up your draw so that you are always playing lands, mid game princes keep you alive and late game princes blink a creature to get more value out of it

remember that if they steal your creatures, charming prince will take it back, it blinks creatures you OWN, so even if they control it you can take it back

once you have enough mana you can play giant krasis or an agent of treachery + justiciar's portal

teferi bounces their shit but also your shit, late game you can bounce an agent of treachery and replay it without them being able to counter it

remember that once you have 3 of their permanents, you start drawing your whole deck more or less, so careful.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
and if you want to steal shit faster, there's always reanimator:
Deck
3 Fblthp, the Lost (WAR) 50
8 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
8 Island (ANA) 62
4 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
3 Duress (M20) 97
4 Blood for Bones (M20) 89
3 Tomebound Lich (M20) 219
2 Connive // Concoct (GRN) 222
2 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
4 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
1 Bond of Insight (WAR) 43
1 Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor (WAR) 56
2 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99
I got slaughtered by a deck today which I would love to copy. It is similar to this but it adds Fae of Wishes, Ego, Bond of Revival, and Scholar of the Ages. Thought Erasure got me on turn 2, he discarded his agent, used Blood for Bones to sac his Lich and brought the agent into play on about turn 4 which stole my shit.

But he then ego'd some of my key cards, and then used his Fae of Wishes to get a counterspell, and used that on me. Then he used his Scholar of Ages which bounces the counterspell back to his hand. Then sacs his Scholar with Blood for Bones and brings his agent out and steals something else. Then plays the Fae, and sacs that, brings the Scholar back and has his counterspell yet again. He then just kept bouncing the agent to steal, fae to get what he wanted, and scholar to bring cards back, over and over.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i used to play scholar but i'm not sure it's necessary, it feels more like a "win more" card in this deck, but perhaps as1X
i never found myself wanting one anyway though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom