Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Murk

Arcane
Bjorn and his wife remind me of an older former-goth couple turned record shop owners I used to drink with.

dextermorgan

Arcane
So anyway, how do you hop to the top of the power pylon next to the teleporter the first dude (Edan?) stops at if you decide to try and help trapped clerics?

Zanzoken

Arcane
This game is horrendous. Like if I was a professional game developer and this was the best I could come up with, I'd probably quit.

At the same time, in many ways it is really fun. I love zooming around on the jetpack to explore new places or just try to travel safely. And the sense of character progression is delightful. I went from getting starched by anything and everything to winning like 1 in 5 fights now.

The game really tests your ability to use your wits and survive, and that's what is keeping me hooked. I am curious to see just how high on the food chain I can go.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
This game is horrendous. Like if I was a professional game developer and this was the best I could come up with, I'd probably quit.

At the same time, in many ways it is really fun. I love zooming around on the jetpack to explore new places or just try to travel safely. And the sense of character progression is delightful. I went from getting starched by anything and everything to winning like 1 in 5 fights now.

The game really tests your ability to use your wits and survive, and that's what is keeping me hooked. I am curious to see just how high on the food chain I can go.

It's still on massive discount on gog for the cyber/thanksgiving/black friday sale. It worth the 16 rubles?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its fun game and very nice open world. But the progression is... janky. Lacks the finesse and gradual steps of Gothic 2 or Risen 1.
And player skill has too little impact.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Its fun game and very nice open world. But the progression is... janky. Lacks the finesse and gradual steps of Gothic 2 or Risen 1.
And player skill has too little role impact.
yeah. i don't understand why they just don't copy paste gothic 1/2 level system. maybe add some things like more active skills, but keep cool stuff like better combo chain with higher skill, better dodging etc.

Murk

Arcane
So anyway, how do you hop to the top of the power pylon next to the teleporter the first dude (Edan?) stops at if you decide to try and help trapped clerics?

Some (most) of them have flat metal sheets set up like in a platformer to hop to. Some don't, in which case you can't really get up them unless there happens to be another tall building nearby you can leap from. Off the top of my head I don't recall if that one does, but if you stand underneath it you can usually see the metal sheets.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL Chad ELEX

KgcTQpg.png

Murk

Arcane
How the fuck did you kill a slugbeast at level 2?

Grenades, but those are pricey; anything with DOT effects (magic from a follower like Duras, flame thrower, bleed effects from bolts/spears, enchanted weapons, summon drone scroll from a safe area).

I'm not sure if you can get your hands on an enchanted weapon at that level but that would work too since you can perma kite it by baiting out it's melee attack and just rolling behind it (unlocked is easier).

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it true you can ignore the town he takes you to at the start? I quit because I didn't want to talk to 20 NPCs.
On your first playthrough it is very hard not to. It's purposefully tailored to be the "newbie" town, and its vertical slice is very 1st playthrough-friendly.

However, if you know how to wiggle your way around, you can head to any of the other 2 factions just fine.

Murk

Arcane
You can also just not follow Duras at all, you're more or less forced into a conversation with him with the way the cut scene triggers, but you have the option to not follow him and go fuck around wherever.

It's probably a good idea to follow him for easy loot + securing the goliet teleporter, but eh.

T. Reich

Arcane
Is it true you can ignore the town he takes you to at the start? I quit because I didn't want to talk to 20 NPCs.
On your first playthrough it is very hard not to. It's purposefully tailored to be the "newbie" town, and its vertical slice is very 1st playthrough-friendly.

However, if you know how to wiggle your way around, you can head to any of the other 2 factions just fine.

Don't even need to wiggle.
Jax's sprinting speed is way higher than that of almost any enemy. If you keep sprinting, 100% of enemies will give up chase shortly. I'd only be wary of the trolls (they tend to throw boulders instead of giving chase) and fighting colossi (fuckers are fast).
Plus you have the "endless" j-pack to overcome terrain obstacles, and the enemies don't. Just keep running after so they don't get the idea of going ranged on your stupid arse.
I recommend watching the following speedrun (which is pretty cool all by itself btw):

Between 1:40 and approx 13-14th min the guy ditches Duras and sequentially unlocks teleporters at:
Ray (halfway to the outlaws) > the middle camp > the domed city and the Hort > the mountain tunnel connecting the desert and the secondary cleric camp.
12 minutes to unlock most "camps". It would've taken him 1 more to reach the outlaw camp, and maybe a couple more to reach Goliet. Only the renegade converter is a bit of a stretch.
Also, count the amount of enemies he encounters while doing that. And consider how many enemies he had to actively avoid as opposed to simply running past in their vicinity. Finally consider how many enemies actually gave active chase.

T. Reich

Arcane
Btw, I'm currently replaying Risen (1, of course), and I was blown away by how the game sorta feels similar to ELEX. The atmosphere, exploration, the feel of combat. Even is music is fairly similar.
IMO, Risen (1) now feels like a logical evolutionary link between Gothics and ELEX.

Citizen

I ignored the berserkers town on the start of my first playthrough, and went scavenging around and then straight to the clerics, because I wanted to join them asap for cool gunz. So I did the berserkers town quests the last and, funnily enough, ended up joining them, because they seemed like the most sane faction in comparsion to the others

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I ignored the berserkers town on the start of my first playthrough, and went scavenging around and then straight to the clerics, because I wanted to join them asap for cool gunz. So I did the berserkers town quests the last and, funnily enough, ended up joining them, because they seemed like the most sane faction in comparsion to the others
Each faction has their ups and downs. Good side and dark side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom