Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

JDR13

Arcane
I'd say it's the best Sci-fi RPG I've played in a long time.

Both nuDeus Exes are bleeding edge masterpieces next to this brainless goo you muppet.

Not disagreeing that the DX games are good, but I consider those to be more cyberpunk than Sci-fi.

*Edit* Ah right.. this is where you parrot that cyberpunk is a subgenre of Sci-fi. Nevermind that I was obviously talking about more traditional Sci-fi.

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
UiNt7WC.jpg
INSTANT CLASSIC

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried to play for a few hours more, visit different planets, do different quests, but the game seems even worse than it was at the beginning. Gamplay isn't engaging, but I never expected it from Obsidian anyway. However, I just can't digest this abysmal boring writing. I don't really care about any SJW you guys do, but I must say it's probably one of the games with most boring dialogues and quests I have ever played.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I knew it was bad after I returned to Edgewater and expecting the boss to be pissed at me after having got Parvati killed, as well as wiping out all of the Botanists (when the bossman explicitly told me not to), yet he didn't give a shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Deadfire C&C is quite meaningful and its not a feminist "essay" masking as a video game. So no.

I usually mock the anti-SJW crusade some have on here, but I will say 25ish hours in that it's getting laughable how all the strong leaders are women and the few men in leadership positions are idiots. It's the American sitcom trend of "smart wife/dumbass husband" in video game form. The male companions are alright though.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Deadfire C&C is quite meaningful and its not a feminist "essay" masking as a video game. So no.

I usually mock the anti-SJW crusade some have on here, but I will say 25ish hours in that it's getting laughable how all the strong leaders are women and the few men in leadership positions are idiots. It's the American sitcom trend of "smart wife/dumbass husband" in video game form. The male companions are alright though.

You actually cannot ignore it no matter how hard you try. It is so on the nose it's ridiculous.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's only scoring such high marks because it's bug free release and the current Bethesda hate trend going on. I'd be willing to wager a bet on half the people scoring it for this reason never even played NV or the original Fallout's for that matter. People are such sheep and follow the trends, and like what everyone else likes just so they feel included.

I loved NV and felt like many aspects of it were a return to form for Fallout. But I ain't lying to myself that this Outer Worlds is even in the same ball park.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who is your audience? Who is making you money? If your paying audience wants asexuals, then give them asexuals. It is not political, or at least it doesn't look political from the developer's perspective.

If your paying audience doesn't give a fuck about asexuals, but you spend resources to give them asexuals, then there is probably something else going on.
I have two responses to this. The first is that if TOW is indeed some kind of financial success (be it on console or whatever) then they actually do cater to their audience. If you don't like what they are offering, then maybe you are not the target audience?

The second thing is that Feargus is shit at imitating big companies, like we've seen numerous times. We know he wants to be an AAA developer, but doesn't have the needed aptitude. He only vaguely knows what big companies do, so it comes off as impotent attempts at stardom. Some kind of wokeness is popular atm and actually big companies (like Disney or Marvel) bank on that with a few sycophantic nods, like "YEAH! GIRL POWER!", while still being as generic and lowest common denominator-y as possible. They'll not make a gay protagonist for example, and women and black people are still very rarely the protagonists.

That's a cute theory, but the way it works in practice is the same groups and the same character tropes are automatically included into every cultural product being made. Authors aren't in the process of choosing "what makes sense in this setting?" or "what does my audience want?." They're in the process of "which marginalized minority groups I need to include to avoid a Twitter mob?" or "which group I need to include to look superwoke to my Twitter bubble?."
Automatically including some people everywhere marginalizes and exoticizes (at best) others, though, and that's the whole SJW shtick. I kinda agree with them on this. But yeah, this is a pretty shit way of doing it, but like we've established Nubsidian has shit writers.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Who is your audience? Who is making you money? If your paying audience wants asexuals, then give them asexuals. It is not political, or at least it doesn't look political from the developer's perspective.

If your paying audience doesn't give a fuck about asexuals, but you spend resources to give them asexuals, then there is probably something else going on.
I have two responses to this. The first is that if TOW is indeed some kind of financial success (be it on console or whatever) then they actually do cater to their audience. If you don't like what they are offering, then maybe you are not the target audience?

No matter how successful it is, it would have been more successful if they didn't make all of the female NPCs look like bulldykes. Has everyone suddenly forgotten the age old advertising adage? Sex sells!

And if you for some reason don't want to include sexy women, then you could at least substitute normal looking women.

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist

No matter how successful it is, it would have been more successful if they didn't make all of the female NPCs look like bulldykes. Has everyone suddenly forgotten the age old advertising adage? Sex sells!

And if you for some reason don't want to include sexy women, then you could at least substitute normal looking women.

Mods will fix it.

:troll:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm still fairly early in the game, but it's the best Sci-fi RPG I've played in a long time. Of course that isn't saying much because the only other modern Sci-fi RPGs are Mass Effect, KotOR, and Borderlands (if you consider Borderlands an RPG).
Try these instead

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the loot gets boring.

I've only just reached Groundbreaker, and I'm already getting bored with the loot. The problem is that there's way too much of it, and it doesn't feel like I'm really earning most things.

Still enjoying this more than Greedfall though.
weird because i enjoyed greedfall more than this so far.

Did you finish it? I started out loving Greedfall, but the more I played the lower my opinion got. By the time I finished it, I was just relieved it was over.

The exploration sucked, and the amount of backtracking during quests was insane.
i feel like at least greedfall have a point in doing all those back and forward questing. it have spiders usual problem with backtracking, but minimized with the fast travel and easily running away from trash mobs. but the quest feels like they are all interconnected with the main story. it doesn't have much options, much like TOW, but i dunno, they just feel worth doing. like helping the natives releasing their captured brethren, restructuring the church by finding the secrets of their foundation, and convincing the leader, catching rouge scientist, finding missing naut sailor, etc.

the outer worlds quest mostly dont give that feeling of being involved in events for me, but just doing checklist of task to advance the story because the setting don't really hook me i guess.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm still fairly early in the game, but it's the best Sci-fi RPG I've played in a long time. Of course that isn't saying much because the only other modern Sci-fi RPGs are Mass Effect, KotOR, and Borderlands (if you consider Borderlands an RPG).
Try these instead

I for one couldn't get into Prey. Didn't like Dishonored 1 and 2 either. There's something about Arkane's style....can't put my finger on it. Altho I loved Arx Fatalis.
That Consortium game is still an EA and the color palette is also p. garish but we'll se.
Finally grabbed Star Crawlers and EYE.
Shout out for highlighting all those.

JDR13

Arcane
the loot gets boring.

I've only just reached Groundbreaker, and I'm already getting bored with the loot. The problem is that there's way too much of it, and it doesn't feel like I'm really earning most things.

Still enjoying this more than Greedfall though.
weird because i enjoyed greedfall more than this so far.

Did you finish it? I started out loving Greedfall, but the more I played the lower my opinion got. By the time I finished it, I was just relieved it was over.

The exploration sucked, and the amount of backtracking during quests was insane.
i feel like at least greedfall have a point in doing all those back and forward questing. it have spiders usual problem with backtracking, but minimized with the fast travel and easily running away from trash mobs. but the quest feels like they are all interconnected with the main story. it doesn't have much options, much like TOW, but i dunno, they just feel worth doing. like helping the natives releasing their captured brethren, restructuring the church by finding the secrets of their foundation, and convincing the leader, catching rouge scientist, finding missing naut sailor, etc.

the outer worlds quest mostly dont give that feeling of being involved in events for me, but just doing checklist of task to advance the story because the setting don't really hook me i guess.

It wasn't though. The fact that you can only fast travel from certain places is what makes it so annoying. I probably would have enjoyed the game a lot more if it simply allowed the player to fast travel from anywhere on the map.

I also didn't care for any of the factions in that game. To me, there was just nothing likeable about any of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom