Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

JDR13

Arcane
I'm still fairly early in the game, but it's the best Sci-fi RPG I've played in a long time. Of course that isn't saying much because the only other modern Sci-fi RPGs are Mass Effect, KotOR, and Borderlands (if you consider Borderlands an RPG).
Try these instead

Thanks. I liked Prey quite a bit. Didn't care for Starcrawlers too much. Haven't played Consortium or E.Y.E. yet.

Reinhardt

Arcane
cant wait for a planet full of anime catgirls
I doubt there will be any. People don't mod much in games where there is basically nothing to do except main quest. In TOW there is nothing to build up on. No base. It's not New Vegas, it's not even F3 or other Bethesda games where you can play for weeks without even bothering with main quest.

just

Liturgist
cant wait for a planet full of anime catgirls
I doubt there will be any. People don't mod much in games where there is basically nothing to do except main quest. In TOW there is nothing to build up on. No base. It's not New Vegas, it's not even F3 or other Bethesda games where you can play for weeks without even bothering with main quest.
man can dream

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
further elaborating greedfall comparison, all the nameless marauders hurt the game too in TOW. in greedfall, aside from wild animals, most of the human enemies aren't nameless mooks. they are still in essence mooks to be killed, but the backgrounds makes them belong at least in a certain faction (even if it's fully antagonistic factions you can never join in the first place) and it does carry more weight than just bethesda style raiders. picking few example on greedfall, you fight against the shadow coin guard division, enraged native tribe that have leaders you interact with, the inquisitors, rogue scientists, etc. hell the random bandits you fight from quests are actually rare and you only find them near cities or in cities at night.

TOW pits you too much against nameless marauders that all the quest feels like fallout 4 fetch quest with extra steps, especially in monarch.

again i haven't done with the game. i got to the point where UDL spaceship or something crashed on monarch last night and i stopped there to go sleep.

Reinhardt

Arcane
All i can think is model swap for weapons, reshades and maybe slightly less ugly females with cleaner faces. Obligatory prosper nude mod. I doubt there will be much more. No new planets or questlines - that's i'm sure.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
further elaborating greedfall comparison, all the nameless marauders hurt the game too in TOW. in greedfall, aside from wild animals, most of the human enemies aren't nameless mooks. they are still in essence mooks to be killed, but the backgrounds makes them belong at least in a certain faction (even if it's fully antagonistic factions you can never join in the first place) and it does carry more weight than just bethesda style raiders. picking few example on greedfall, you fight against the shadow coin guard division, enraged native tribe that have leaders you interact with, the inquisitors, rogue scientists, etc. hell the random bandits you fight from quests are actually rare and you only find them near cities or in cities at night.

TOW pits you too much against nameless marauders that all the quest feels like fallout 4 fetch quest with extra steps, especially in monarch.

again i haven't done with the game. i got to the point where UDL spaceship or something crashed on monarch last night and i stopped there to go sleep.
there are also companions who IMO greedfall also did better. both the companion and their quests are tied to the overarching faction quest and their existence became hook for you to be involved in the faction quests. Kurt and coing guard is because the death of his protege that got involved into a company conspiracy. it is a small hook but made the escalation into the conspiracy smooth. the same with petrus and the church, and aphra with the mad scientist.

what greedfall did excellently is its gradual, clever hook and escalation. all the conflict imo progress naturally as it gets tenser and tenser every time a quest open after a story quest. imo, it even superior than underrail quests and faction system because they drip it to you bit by bit naturally.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
weird because i enjoyed greedfall more than this so far.

I completed Edgewater and Greedfall at this point seems a more decent game in comparison.

All NPC in TOW are so... bland. They are so dumb, one-note and over-top in their brain-washedness that it is really hard to treat them as anything other than talking ugly-pixel-heads. I never had such indifference to a NPC characters in the game. And world does not helps them either. This whole cannery town with its Vegan conflict seem to exist in some pocket universe - no roads, no (cosmo-) port beside one tiny landing pad, no mentions of another settlements on the planet.

And fetch quests in TOW are so fetchy. There is no fetch quests in Greedfall beside ~5-6 mini-tasks on boards in whole game. Everything else is linked to factions lines, main quest or companion. Main fault is, in fact, that some of them are too crammed with artificial "steps" that often feel like busywork.

It is a bit funny that main "good" feature of TOW is a same for Greedfall - companion reactivity. Yes, Greedfall actually has companion interjections, cross-interjections and quest dialogues completely changed by their presence, usually for all affiliated faction business.

There are also small nice things in Greedfall as getting task for spying on Natives and auto failing it after minute-long scene of listening to their gibberish (and technically successful sneaking) because companion who could translate it is not with you.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
one-note and over-top in their brain-washedness that it is really hard to treat them as anything other than talking ugly-pixel-heads.

oh god this too so much. one of the biggest reason why the setting really feel off. it doesn't feel like genuine world, it feels like a parody sketch. it's literally retarded. even in late stage capitalism (which is just authoritarian beraucracy) the corporations are retarded. like in edgewater allowing employees to die to portray people are dispensable. it's retarded in a colony that needs 10 years for human craft to reach and if you kill your people it would be expensive and hard to replace human resources. they behave like some 13 years old image of what "evil corporation" is.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Goods: addictive core gameplay loop, ticks all the boxes
No not really. Gameplay quickly becomes boring, even with the people who lauded it at launch, and it certainly does not tick all the boxes - it only looks like it does on the surface.
it ticked all boxes and addicting gameplay in the first 5 hours at the very least

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
It has clearly been established that the game is bland as fuck, and there is no reason at all to care about the story or the setting. With that being the case, I see no reason to play a game like TOW when there are plenty of FPS alternative games with better core gameplay loops that are actually challenging and fun. There is literally no reason to play something like TOW when other games have better gameplay. I've seen people here praise the companions and reactivity, but who gives a fuck about the companions when the setting and story of the game make them obsolete?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It has clearly been established that the game is bland as fuck, and there is no reason at all to care about the story or the setting. With that being the case, I see no reason to play a game like TOW when there are plenty of FPS alternative games with better core gameplay loops that are actually challenging and fun. There is literally no reason to play something like TOW when other games have better gameplay. I've seen people here praise the companions and reactivity, but who gives a fuck about the companions when the setting and story of the game make them obsolete?
at least these games made me break out of my denial that the old devs now are just old decrepit has been. i used to defend this game "c'mon give tim and leo a chance" yet every turn shit they produce are outdone by bunch of russians and eastern european with 2 vodka/day budget.

they're all dead. even avellone and most of his freelancing gig. vampire the masquerade 2? assume shit. george ziets new studio? assume shit until proven otherwise. glory to the kocjos developers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
oh god this too so much. one of the biggest reason why the setting really feel off. it doesn't feel like genuine world, it feels like a parody sketch. it's literally retarded. even in late stage capitalism (which is just authoritarian beraucracy) the corporations are retarded. like in edgewater allowing employees to die to portray people are dispensable. it's retarded in a colony that needs 10 years for human craft to reach and if you kill your people it would be expensive and hard to replace human resources. they behave like some 13 years old image of what "evil corporation" is.

That's what I said back in June but people seemed to think it was a positive then. :D

But I think you might be getting it partly wrong too. From what I've seen so far, I would say the key to understanding The Outer Worlds setting is that it isn't really a modern setting. It's a Space Western before it's a corporate dystopia game, and the behavior of the people in the game world is fundamentally pre-modern (or "early modern" if you will - 19th century). The fact that Edgewater's barber is also its surgeon should be a big hint.

Anyway, here are a couple of looting tips.

1) There's lots of garbage food items in the game, but they get put in the Consumables tab along with legitimate drugs and medicine when you pick them up. How do you distinguish between them? Simple - all food items (including booze) have a weight of 0.20 or more. All drugs and medicine have a weight of 0.10 or less.

2) What to do with garbage weapons and armor that you don't need? Sell them for money, or break them down for repair parts? Actually, you can do both! Merchants keep their "buyback" inventory for a very long time, so just sell everything. If you need to do any repairs, you can buy the cheapest weapons and armor back for the same price you sold them for, as many as you need.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom