Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Zed Duke of Banville , are you roleplaying the clothing? I found I always wear the black mesh vest because it had no debuff :D
I choose clothing partly based on appearance and partly based on stat changes, though in my first playthrough as a high psyche s★u★p★e★r★s★t★a★r cop, I wore the "Man from Hjelmdall" shirt almost the entire time after acquiring it in Day 2, because it seemed the kind of thing that character would do. :M

Those gardening gloves do look ... avant-garde.
I needed the gardening gloves to boost the probability of making an interface check. :dealwithit:

People keep talking about the game being sad, but personally I feel the opposite. It's about getting over it and starting again, it's hopefull, if anything.

The only part I show as really sad was
the commisar guy

An so far my favourite interaction in the game is the one involving Volition.
Telling you how all the other personas are "compromised" and all their reaction.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well the phasmid part only make sense if you do the crypto zoologist quest, its one of those multiple quests, indeed unfocused, building up lore . Really you can figure what the fuck it is about
I think it's more open to interpretation that that. My reading at least was different.

Inehresa

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Google tells me I'm not sure how I feel about Derrida showing up in a RPG Codex review. But I do trust your judgment.

Not Derrida but rather this: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/20863042-ghosts-of-my-life

When I was thinking about one of the authorial attitudes that didn't really make sense, I suddenly recalled the whole Mark Fisher's aesthetic theory that he peppered throughout his writings, and it just clicked. Everything from the major overarching themes to the sad little seaside tune fell into place.

I didn't build the review around it or anything. It's just a point I address there.
this
At first I thought that nick was uhh irrelevant but now I see you are true man of culture :obviously:

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a cool tattoo, why not? I mean in the end if you like an art piece does the source matter?

Vatnik Wumao
It's a cool tattoo, why not? I mean in the end if you like an art piece does the source matter?
Tattoos are akin to fashion (although not always 'fashion accessories' in themselves), so you have to strike a balance between what you want and what society expects and understands.

I'd say that video game tattoos carry a stigma which infantilizes you in the eyes of others, even if the source material as it were is the opposite of infantile. That aside, a gaming tattoo is basically a corporate branding.

Were it not so, I'd be the first to get some Wh40k tattoos.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'd say that video game tattoos carry a stigma which infantilizes you in the eyes of others, even if the source material as it were is the opposite of infantile
I think in this time and age gaming is not any more a "thing for the children". Sure, maybe 60+ year old people still believe that, but they wouldn't like any tattoo anyway.

That aside, a gaming tattoo is basically a corporate branding.
Yeah ok, if we generalize like that, almost everything is corporate branding...

*I have a good friend who has an awesome tattoo of the WH Chaos emblem.

Vatnik Wumao
I'd say that video game tattoos carry a stigma which infantilizes you in the eyes of others, even if the source material as it were is the opposite of infantile
I think in this time and age gaming is not any more a "thing for the children". Sure, maybe 60+ year old people still believe that, but they wouldn't like any tattoo anyway.

That aside, a gaming tattoo is basically a corporate branding.
Yeah ok, if we generalize like that, almost everything is corporate branding...

*I have a good friend who has an awesome tattoo of the WH Chaos emblem.
On your first point, I think that it'd be best to judge it on a case-by-case basis. Some tattoos can serve to accentuate a certain aspect of your lifestyle, yet at the same time they could end up undermining another. A symbol of Khorne or an Imperial Aquila on a lifting enthusiast with a knack for Wh40k is respectable, yet the same tattoo on a proponent of radical politics makes him look like a LARPing faggot since it may appear that the former informed the latter aesthetically.

As far as your second point is concerned, I'd have to disagree (on an empirical basis admittedly). Very few people get tattoos pertaining to media franchises, opting instead for either conceptual art or particular non-corporate designs which have become memes in time (such as tribal designs and geometric pattern styles in general).

Lastly, good on your friend, lad. Guess I'm just too self-aware for that sort of tattoo.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
People keep talking about the game being sad, but personally I feel the opposite. It's about getting over it and starting again, it's hopefull, if anything.

Only if you can actually get over it.

In every possible interaction with memories of Harry's ex where you got the chance to let go, I instead chose to revel in the memories and hold on as much as possible.

:negative:

axedice

Cipher
My chain cutters are missing. Got them from Kim's toolbox, used them once (I think), but now they're not in my inventory and I can't open Cuno's apartment or the other locked flat in that compound. Are they single use items that I have to replenish somehow (really stupid idea) or is this a bug?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My chain cutters are missing. Got them from Kim's toolbox, used them once (I think), but now they're not in my inventory and I can't open Cuno's apartment or the other locked flat in that compound. Are they single use items that I have to replenish somehow (really stupid idea) or is this a bug?
Sounds like a bug. I don't think it's possible to lose them, and definitely you can't drop them. Could you have pawned them off?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not reading any of the thread because I do not want any spoilers. Just wanted to drop in and mention that I love this game (3 hours in).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom