Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hegemony 3: Clash of the Ancients is out

DramaticPopcorn

http://store.steampowered.com/app/308173

Launch day dev stream:

I am unfamiliar with the series but the game looks very interesting potentially, a friend of mine is playing it and says that it's not currently worth its asking price and warns about bugs & crashes.

Anyone else playing this? Very curious about picking up one of the previous games now that I've watched the stream.

Delbaeth

Learned
I played a little Hegemony Gold, and found it very interesting. I should give it another try.
I believe that boxed copies are still available pour HG in Longbow games' website.
I have seen on gog forums, that they are still discussing with gog for a release there, maybe for Hegemony 3 or both H3 and HG (I don't think Hegemony Rome is discussed atm, because it was published by Kalypso).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the original and the gold version. It was fun for a little while, and they do try to follow the historical narrative, but ultimately it just devolves into mindless repetition. It's an incredibly tedious game.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I started to play Hegemony III this month and despite my fears that it could end up feeling shallow i am thinking on getting the DLC after 56 hours of fun.
You can play this game with a copy of the Art of War by Sun Tzu with a smile in your face.
Is your enemy crossing a river?
Wait until half cross it and then charge.

You enemy has an army bigger than yours and is coming your way?
Oh really? Is it well fed? Hows their moral? Is winter coming? I shall employ skirmishers to hit and run their slower units and when they finally reach my army most of them is going to desert them.

I can't conquer my enemy city?
What about their fields? Their livestock? I shall raze his resources and then watch their own people rebel because of starvation.

Really feels like an underrated game, i am glad the game was more than i was hoping for and it is keeping my quite occupied.
I started playing as the Greeks and the military units are nothing like the Gauls's, so i think it will stay fresh for a couple of playthroughs.

Keep in mind that i am not a strategy games veteran so i may be more lenient of common flaws of the genre.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Got the expansion but haven't played much more. The only downside i can point so far is the difficulty. Seems to be harsher in the beginning, depending where you start, but once you get your machine moving, nothing can't stop you. Like in any other strategy game?
It also depends a lot what faction do you pick. Starting in the middle surrounding by enemies is bound to make a delicious beginning.

The game is at a discount at Steam right now for € 6.99 and another € 3.74 for the DLC. There are no discounts so far on GOG which is a shame. The game will be discounted until 3 of December.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looks extremely interesting to me, like a Total War but with non-retarded tactics and strategic overlay, however, 8 years later it's still not discounted on GOG even during sales, WHAT THE FUCK

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looks extremely interesting to me, like a Total War but with non-retarded tactics and strategic overlay, however, 8 years later it's still not discounted on GOG even during sales, WHAT THE FUCK
No Steam sale for years either, even though they used to put it on sale there regularly. Just checked SteamDB and there hasn't been a single sale in 2 years.
Their last news was "New content coming in 2018!" when they announced the next DLC that was supposed to add Sardinia and Corsica to the map.

But no more news came after that. None in 2018, and none since.
No Steam sales either, even though they had been pretty regular before, at least during major sales like spring/summer/autumn/winter.

The sad conclusion is: dead company, the announced DLC will never come, there won't be any sales anymore, you can just pirate it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I gave it a try, but aside from the supply management I find it rather average. Can't really play it for long without getting bored, and rather annoying camera/controls don't help. As Agesilaus said, it's just too repetitive, lacks either a grand-scale layer (like TWs) or a proper campaign (like AoEs). As it is, it's essentially an RTS skirmish with bots a'la Warcraft but with more bots. Not really for me.

thesecret1

Arcane
I gave it a try, but aside from the supply management I find it rather average. Can't really play it for long without getting bored, and rather annoying camera/controls don't help. As Agesilaus said, it's just too repetitive, lacks either a grand-scale layer (like TWs) or a proper campaign (like AoEs). As it is, it's essentially an RTS skirmish with bots a'la Warcraft but with more bots. Not really for me.
I heavily urge you to play Hegemony Gold instead, the first game in the series. It's much better than the sequels, and has a proper (and fun) campaign (something they moved away from in the sequels in the name of sandbox).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom