Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Yes, líke I said, there are a few more in-dialogue skill checks than FO4. Not by much.

I played 16h + , the game already has more non-speech checks in dialogue than entire of base FO4 by a lot .. And most checks are more than just gain more money. I had good amount of Perception , Medicine , Int even had one Sneak check.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ah well. Nothing lasts forever ,-)

I'm on team IRON TOWER NOW,

FoyQ7XC.png

Quillon

Arcane
tl;dr I wish Tim and Leonard had tried to make another flawed masterpiece, but they set out to make a polished blockbuster and they succeeded.
TOW isn't made to please the codex market, nor try to be a really deep RPG. It just had to not have any technical issues (minimal crashes) and look good enough to sell.

I was comparing the game to Bethesda immersive sims, not codex classics. More mainstream people should have noticed(& will notice after the honeymoon) all the stuff the game lacks they took for granted in FO4/Skyrim/NV... Say what you will about gamebryo but it has a lot of gameplay systems and even technical depth built in(+ mods) and iterated through years that entertains the average joe who doesn't care much about C&C/reactivity.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is a very boring discussion.
It is not much of discussion. People said everything possible about the game in the first 50 pages and now we are just reposing the same shit and writing stupid one liners. The game is boring,its meme time had passed and it is time to leave the thread.

True that, not many better places to go though.

I've the vague tingling in my balls that the next game with TOW's meme potential is Cyberpunk, sadly.

I say sadly because a) I like CDPR and b) the fun is still half a year away.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It is not much of discussion. People said everything possible about the game in the first 50 pages and now we are just reposing the same shit and writing stupid one liners. The game is boring,its meme time had passed and it is time to leave the thread.

I've the vague tingling in my balls that the next game with TOW's meme potential is Cyberpunk, sadly.

And then waiting for Bloodline 2 will start... Oh, wait, it's releases earlier.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Bloodline 2 and BG3....:positive:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Myeeah...I don't know. Bloodlines 2 could be fun but this IP is way more niche than Fallout-likes, so way less buzz and fanboyism to mock, plus I don't care about it that much either.

And I suspect Larian will please their fans with BG3. At least I don't think it's gonna be woke or botched enough to be memeworthy.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Myeeah...I don't know. Bloodlines 2 could be fun but this IP is way more niche than Fallout-likes plus I don't care about it that much either.

And I suspect Larian will please the fans with BG3. At least I don't think it's gonna be woke or botched enough to be memeworthy.
Well, it's not like Fallout 76 is going anywhere.

PrettyDeadman

Yes, líke I said, there are a few more in-dialogue skill checks than FO4. Not by much.

I played 16h + , the game already has more non-speech checks in dialogue than entire of base FO4 by a lot .. And most checks are more than just gain more money. I had good amount of Perception , Medicine , Int even had one Sneak check.
Most speech checks result in gaining additional dialogue lines before returning to basic dialog tree.

DeepOcean

Arcane
More like youtubers hunting for views, once Todd deliver his next sweet lies, the sheep will forget all about it.
Call me an agent of decline, but I still have hope for Bethesda. I did turn in my Obsidian fan card, but i'll be willing to give BS Games Studios [two] more chances, furst with Starfield and secound with TESEX. I do consider Fallout 4 to be massive decline compared to FNV and F3, but F76 is an entirely different beast altogether, and tbh i'm not holding it against BS much. Bethesda *has* disappointed with FO4 and 76, but not in the same unforgivable way that Obsidian has with TOW. IMO Obsidian is the bigger offender (so far). Of course, we'll have to wait if BS is gonna go "woke" and degenerate even further.
Maybe your bar for disappointment is really high because Bethesda is dead for me since Oblivion. Everything they released since then is pure mass market garbage that is barely playable after mods and total conversions, maybe Starfield won't be as buggy after the fiasco of Fallout 76 but will keep the trend of simplifying things to the level of a Down's Syndrome kid being able to play it.
Obsidian after the old guard left is just a corpse but you can still see the vestiges of what was good as even this mass market mediocre game has some vestigial C&C. I dunno if those vestigial RPG elements will survive after Microsoft assumes full control though. The writing already took a plunge into the abyss, dunno if Microsoft will allow them to waste budget into something irrelevant for the mass market as C&C is, most people don't replay games. I think the full transformation into Bethesda junior will be complete on their next game.

Maybe your bar for disappointment is really high because Bethesda is dead for me since Oblivion. Everything they released since then is pure mass market garbage that is barely playable after mods and total conversions, maybe Starfield won't be as buggy after the fiasco of Fallout 76 but will keep the trend of simplifying things to the level of a Down's Syndrome kid being able to play it.
Obsidian after the old guard left is just a corpse but you can still see the vestiges of what was good as even this mass market mediocre game has some vestigial C&C. I dunno if those vestigial RPG elements will survive after Microsoft assumes full control though. The writing already took a plunge into the abyss, dunno if Microsoft will allow them to waste budget into something irrelevant for the mass market as C&C is, most people don't replay games. I think the full transformation into Bethesda junior will be complete on their next game.
My bar for trash is not that high, but my criteria nowadays is much different. I have *already* given up on companies like Bethesda producing incline, so i've switched gears a bit. Nowadays things like censorship, virtue signaling, faux-inclusivity etc. bothers me more that straight up mechanical incompetence. I have yet to see BS Games Studios do any of that. Otherwise, yeah mate, they've been dead for a long long while. I would admit that i still played all their past games (barring 76) because the mods are fantastic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom