Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumors about Final Fantasy X-3

Vorark

Erudite
I wish Enix could separate from Square.

The merger was one of the worst things to happen to the jrpg market. Word around is that it wasn't even need once Squaresoft got funding by Sony and later FFX and Kingdom Hearts turned out to be huge hits.

Duraframe300

Arcane

The merger was one of the worst things to happen to the jrpg market. Word around is that it wasn't even need once Squaresoft got funding by Sony and later FFX and Kingdom Hearts turned out to be huge hits

Regardless, on the Square side the situation would have still been terrible. The same people would have still had to go and Kitase/Nomura would have still taken the creative reigns. We're fucked either way.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Will there even be a Final Fantasy XVI in the next decade, or are we just going to get FF7 remasters every couple of years ?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Will there even be a Final Fantasy XVI in the next decade, or are we just going to get FF7 remasters every couple of years ?
Judging by the negative progression of Squaresoft's development process, Final Fantasy XVI will surpass Grimoire for the record of longest development time of any RPG. :M

It will probably take them even longer to finish their series of games remaking FF7.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
It was all mostly Yoichi Wada's doing starting from 2000/2001 when he was appointed as CFO first. Spirits Within bombed hard and Square had two loss making years in a row under previous management, and at least retrospectively Wada was hailed as the guy who turned it around after those shitty two years and then entered the merger as well.
Have you ever done background research on this dude? Using nothing but his own words, you can objectively prove he is pure unadulterated cancer to any company he worms his way into the management of. You don't often get a more clear-cut case of an individual who absolutely should not be let anywhere near the reigns of power.
I wish Squaresoft could separate from Enix; the Final Fantasy series has been a trainwreck since the merger. :M

All the people responsible for the trainwreck come from Square :M

The problem wasn´t the merger. The problem was Sakaguchi leaving/getting booted out.

FF Tactics literary came about because Sakaguchi made his personal developer dream team. Some of the best stuff in early Square you can trace back to his decisions.

Yeah, without Sakaguchi , FF is in shambles.
Meanwhile, he's producing mobile games.
Can you fucking believe it
:negative:
I still feel this was inevitable due to industry-wide economic factors. The only difference is what company Sakaguchi is at, not what he's doing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for the record FFX-2 was a Squaresoft only production and was already done when the merger happened.

Original japanese box pressing that was later changed:
41VNS6M6KBL.jpg

can't blame the merger for this.

Tigranes

Arcane
Didn't realize the FF movie fucked over Square that hard.

It basically killed Square as we know it. Not in a cause-and-effect way, things are rarely so simple, but it's a monumental fuckup emblematising Square's inability to get anything right this century. The FF series needed a new direction after a successful run of 6-10 milked that particular formula as well, but everything from the movie to the MMO suggests that they were dazzled and chasing the shiniest things out there with no longer an understanding of how to excel.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Didn't realize the FF movie fucked over Square that hard.

It basically killed Square as we know it. Not in a cause-and-effect way, things are rarely so simple, but it's a monumental fuckup emblematising Square's inability to get anything right this century. The FF series needed a new direction after a successful run of 6-10 milked that particular formula as well, but everything from the movie to the MMO suggests that they were dazzled and chasing the shiniest things out there with no longer an understanding of how to excel.
No, Sakaguchi was well aware of that danger. That's why Final Fantasy IX popped up in the middle of all that techno-glitz. That was his insurance policy. X, XI, and XII (yes, he actually started the barest concept and hiring work of 12 before he was "kicked upstairs") were meant to be the same formula with new twists.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think FF6 was the last one where I could actually follow the plot. I kinda get 7 now after seeing a bunch of it retranslated and seeing some cutscenes you'd need a fucking guide to find, and additional context from spinoffs and shit. FF8 is some sort of fucking acid trip where a witch creates herself or something and then wants to fucking with time for no discernable reason, and a bunch of kids go off to kill her, also for no discernable reason? Was Edea Rinoa too? The game was just a stream of non sequiturs. FF9 I think was mostly about a war between two nations, but then also like 3 sequential behind the scenes villains with no motivations were secretly behind everything? And there was some sort of fog but I dunno why it was there or if it did anything besides hide monsters. FFX had a pretty reasonable plot right up until the end when suddenly it was all a dream, or something, and the giant monster is your dad for no reason. And there was some side plot about machines that never went anywhere.

Older games were always so much simpler. Bad guys want thing to get power, but thing protects the world so fight bad guy and get thing back. To be fair 5 had some crazy multi world thing going on but it was still possible to follow.

hexer

Boy, wait until you play FF XIII trilogy!
I get a feeling they deliberately make unexplainable plots because that's the norm over there

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I think FF6 was the last one where I could actually follow the plot. I kinda get 7 now after seeing a bunch of it retranslated and seeing some cutscenes you'd need a fucking guide to find, and additional context from spinoffs and shit. FF8 is some sort of fucking acid trip where a witch creates herself or something and then wants to fucking with time for no discernable reason, and a bunch of kids go off to kill her, also for no discernable reason? Was Edea Rinoa too? The game was just a stream of non sequiturs. FF9 I think was mostly about a war between two nations, but then also like 3 sequential behind the scenes villains with no motivations were secretly behind everything? And there was some sort of fog but I dunno why it was there or if it did anything besides hide monsters. FFX had a pretty reasonable plot right up until the end when suddenly it was all a dream, or something, and the giant monster is your dad for no reason. And there was some side plot about machines that never went anywhere.

Older games were always so much simpler. Bad guys want thing to get power, but thing protects the world so fight bad guy and get thing back. To be fair 5 had some crazy multi world thing going on but it was still possible to follow.
Dude, the plot of Final Fantasy 1 makes very little sense if you stop and think on it for more than 5 minutes. Plot has been one of the weakest parts of the series from the beginning. The problem with VIII isn't that the plot simply sucks, it's how goddamned close it came to not sucking just before it completely shit the bed. The fanbase even tried to throw the dipshits captaining that atrocious shipwreck a lifeline (it was an autistic one, sure, but it was better than what they came up with: which was fucking nothing) and they just did the Nip equivalent of "lololol...Yeah...Nah...." and sat back in their chair, all smug. Because a plot that makes fuck-all sense to the point it's just a glorified collection of multimillion dollar vignettes is soooo avant-garde and mysterious, amirite?

Deflowerer

Arcane

The merger was one of the worst things to happen to the jrpg market. Word around is that it wasn't even need once Squaresoft got funding by Sony and later FFX and Kingdom Hearts turned out to be huge hits.

As I said earlier, Yoichi Wada at Squaresoft already took charge before the merger. It was his idea to start milking the franchises.

hexer

I was thinking... it would be cool if in X-3 they made Tidus an alcoholic like Jecht.
And then Yuna leaves him for another man.
Hmmm, I think she actually already left him in that radio drama.

Andhaira

Arcane
A FF-X3 would be great, as long as its turnbased, and has summons with them working similar to FF-X summons but not as weak.

I'm worried they might decide to do a prequel based around Jecht & Auron along with Yuna's dad. You see snippets of their journey and story via the video balls as you play through FF-X. It's pretty cool, and Aurons confrontation with Yunalesca was heart-breakingly awesome, but we already know the ending to that story.

No, a true sequel should take place 100s if not 1000s of years later.

And Lulu should return in some form or another, and we should see her naked. Best black mage ever.

Also Anima should make a comeback, most kickass summon of all time.

hexer

FF X-3 will definitely be a sequel with slightly older Tidus and Yuna.
There's official concept art floating around and there's also a recorded drama packed with FF X/X-2 Steam release where you learn they've just broken up, Sin is back,
Auron had a secret(?) daughter and Lulu's tits are still big :D

I think Sin might be back because it was implied it's essential to the way Spira functions but we'll see!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FF8 plot is awesome and makes perfect sense unless you are an idiot. Are you an idiot? WELL, ARE YOU!?!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Dude.

1. This is a FFX-3 thread.

2. Play the fukkin' game.

3.Think her relationship with SEED and think the cycle and pitfalls of time travel.

Don't be a moran.

Falksi

Arcane
A FF-X3 would be great, as long as its turnbased, and has summons with them working similar to FF-X summons but not as weak.

I'm worried they might decide to do a prequel based around Jecht & Auron along with Yuna's dad. You see snippets of their journey and story via the video balls as you play through FF-X. It's pretty cool, and Aurons confrontation with Yunalesca was heart-breakingly awesome, but we already know the ending to that story.

No, a true sequel should take place 100s if not 1000s of years later.

And Lulu should return in some form or another, and we should see her naked. Best black mage ever.

Also Anima should make a comeback, most kickass summon of all time.

YES.

Why is it so obvious? Every single on of those points is spot on. I see it, you see it, and I dare say many others do too.

So why will the fuckwits who have the opportunity to create such greatness opt for creating shit again if it happens?

A return of Sin 1000's of years later, or something similar, with some of the old cast as summons might work?

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
FF8 plot is awesome and makes perfect sense unless you are an idiot. Are you an idiot? WELL, ARE YOU!?!
Why does Ultimecia want to compress all of time into a single moment?
Wasn't original story without Ultimecia?
I have no idea. I've heard so much wild shit about what went on behind-the-scenes it's difficult to tell who has the right of it (if any).
1. This is a FFX-3 thread.
...And?
2. Play the fukkin' game.
I have.
3.Think her relationship with SEED and think the cycle and pitfalls of time travel.
cd8.gif

Don't be a moran.
Don't be a retart.
...Where's my car?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom