Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingdom Come was a mass market success despite launching with extreme mechanics like limited saves in the open world and hunger system. You seem to think audience that wants hardcore AAA RPG exists only on the Codex, but that's not the case at all. There's a huge fanbase that longs for a RPG with mainstream production values but deeper gameplay, and that's the fanbase TOW was marketed towards. And those people are certainly not praising the game to high heavens, there's plenty of bitching in all of the mainstream places, aside from TOW subreddit where all the fanboys decided to gaher.

They marketed it as a tighter New Vegas in space. They weren’t pushing a game with hardcore RPG mechanics, they were pushing a game with any RPG mechanics—something the big ARPG studios haven’t really done in years. I’m sure there’s a market for a more punishing style of ARPG, but it’s much smaller than the market for the kind of games that Bethesda and BioWare were making ten years ago. That’s what’s Leonard meant when he called TOW a next-generation throwback.

Quillon they went after the New Vegas audience for a reason, it’s the Gamebryo title that does the least with the immersive sim elements and focuses the most on C&C and reactivity. Plus, there are millions of people who like big budget RPGs with hardly any environmental interactivity and a decent amount of player choice & reactivity—they’re called BioWare fans.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Drowed

Arcane
I actually think that Codex, as well as most of the anti-SJW groups, often end up getting into too much paranoia about games, movies, or whatever product is being discussed at the moment.

That said... Now that I've finished the game, in retrospect, I can see how there is a lot of "weird" stuff in it. Let me be honest, while I played the game I didn't realize or think much about it, most of those moments went through my head without setting off any alarms. But now that I'm thinking and looking for it, I can notice a lot of things that actually sound strange.

1. Essentially, there are only 2 engineers in the whole game who are responsible for the mechanical part of the spaceships with whom you have some contact. Both are women, in a gay/asexual relationship.
  2. So you have Groundbreaker. There are basically 4 noteworthy NPCs there: Lilya (SubLight, woman, head of organization), Gladys ("Broker", woman), Junlei (Captain of the ship, engineer, woman), Udom (representative of The Board, only man) and the only one who in theory defends a "questionable organization".
  3. On Terra 2, in Edgewater, you meet Reed Tobson. That he is essentially a "bad" capitalist who exploits his employees and dresses up like a member of the Mafia. But apart from that, to be fair, the variety of NPCs is even well distributed.
  4. In Monarch, you have two main groups. The town of Stellar Bay, and the anarchic group in Amber Heights. Interestingly, the two groups are led by a pair, where the man (Graham/Sanjar) is the "official leader" of the group, but the woman at his side is the most competent person, who organizes the institution and ensures that it works.
  5. In addition to it, in general, the number of women NPCs involved in quests is higher than that of men by far, it seems. There is the quest where you will kill a scientist (female) researcher (about that "alien" conspiracy), Max's quest where he will be enlightened by a (female) "monk", the (female) engineer who sends you to a satellite to adjust the communication, and oh, Lieutenant Mercer, the first woman you meet in the game, who is leading the 'group' of soldiers who observe the Unreliable.
I hadn't noticed this while playing, but most of the NPCs in a prominent position are women. And when they are men, they are often incompetent, or of questionable character. After you see this, it's practically impossible to unsee, because it's very explicit. I can't say that this was a big problem for me because, as I said, I hadn't noticed it when I was playing, it wasn't something that I consciously paid attention to. But on the other hand, looking back, it's really impossible not to notice that, yes, there is an agenda behind these choices, it's too obvious to be by chance.

Well, make of that what you will. I can only say that I can understand where some people who are talking about this are coming from.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Interactivity and a decent amount of player choice & reactivity—they’re called BioWare fans.
The only forum populated by Russian Bioware fans I visit sometimes from pure scientific curiosity is utterly cold toward TOW. Like 200 posts/week cold.

But they loved Greedfall and P:K of all things.

Hot Coldman

Educated
I actually think that Codex, as well as most of the anti-SJW groups, often end up getting into too much paranoia about games, movies, or whatever product is being discussed at the moment.

That said... Now that I've finished the game, in retrospect, I can see how there is a lot of "weird" stuff in it. Let me be honest, while I played the game I didn't realize or think much about it, most of those moments went through my head without setting off any alarms. But now that I'm thinking and looking for it, I can notice a lot of things that actually sound strange.

1. Essentially, there are only 2 engineers in the whole game who are responsible for the mechanical part of the spaceships with whom you have some contact. Both are women, in a gay/asexual relationship.
  2. So you have Groundbreaker. There are basically 4 noteworthy NPCs there: Lilya (SubLight, woman, head of organization), Gladys ("Broker", woman), Junlei (Captain of the ship, engineer, woman), Udom (representative of The Board, only man) and the only one who in theory defends a "questionable organization".
  3. On Terra 2, in Edgewater, you meet Reed Tobson. That he is essentially a "bad" capitalist who exploits his employees and dresses up like a member of the Mafia. But apart from that, to be fair, the variety of NPCs is even well distributed.
  4. In Monarch, you have two main groups. The town of Stellar Bay, and the anarchic group in Amber Heights. Interestingly, the two groups are led by a pair, where the man (Graham/Sanjar) is the "official leader" of the group, but the woman at his side is the most competent person, who organizes the institution and ensures that it works.
  5. In addition to it, in general, the number of women NPCs involved in quests is higher than that of men by far, it seems. There is the quest where you will kill a scientist (female) researcher (about that "alien" conspiracy), Max's quest where he will be enlightened by a (female) "monk", the (female) engineer who sends you to a satellite to adjust the communication, and oh, Lieutenant Mercer, the first woman you meet in the game, who is leading the 'group' of soldiers who observe the Unreliable.
I hadn't noticed this while playing, but most of the NPCs in a prominent position are women. And when they are men, they are often incompetent, or of questionable character. After you see this, it's practically impossible to unsee, because it's very explicit. I can't say that this was a big problem for me because, as I said, I hadn't noticed it when I was playing, it wasn't something that I consciously paid attention to. But on the other hand, looking back, it's really impossible not to notice that, yes, there is an agenda behind these choices, it's too obvious to be by chance.

Well, make of that what you will. I can only say that I can understand where some people who are talking about this are coming from.

They cashed in hard on popular opinions today, and on young "gamers" who will play any up-and-coming polished
and well-reviewed game who won't question the world-building, but rather blaze through it and go "ooo, saying this
thing requires 15 engineering, thats cool"

* popular opinions today, in USA California

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I hadn't noticed this while playing, but most of the NPCs in a prominent position are women
I usually don't care about this shit, but it's hard not to notice from the very game start. Aside from obvious Rick then companion Max, male characters are crushed, shot by own gun, gravediggers, paranoid, hypochondriac or sleazy. While female characters are patrol leaders, sheriffs, fixers, foremen(?), mistreated sick lastly, companion Parvati. And that's just on first planet...

Hot Coldman

Educated
Maybe these guys were always hacks and Arcanum was some kinda of fluke, like this is the dimension out of infinite
dimensions where the monkeys on typewriters managed to write a Sheakespeare.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Yes. It's veiled decline in the sense that the two directors were respected cRPG developers and what we got was
more akin to FO4 with a few more skilll-checks sprinkled in and, I must say, better NPC reactivity. Replace Moonman
and swap out bandits for the trillions of supermutants in FO4, remove the few more skill checks you have and there it
is.

Replace what's the best part of the game ( CnC and reactivy ) , remove skill checks and replace the setting of the game with Fallout and you got FO4..
Sorry, what.. :lol:

Yes, líke I said, there are a few more in-dialogue skill checks than FO4. Not by much.
I said remove the bandits, replace them with all copy-pasted supermutants in FO4.
Remove those extra few skill checks. And then I praised companion NPC interactivity.

Do that and it's pretty much FO4 with less weapon variety in terms of how bare bones
an RPG it is.

"Yes, líke I said, there are a few more in-dialogue skill checks than FO4. Not by much.". Ether your math teacher never taught you how to count, or your English teacher never taught you what "not by much" means.

Hot Coldman

Educated
Yes. It's veiled decline in the sense that the two directors were respected cRPG developers and what we got was
more akin to FO4 with a few more skilll-checks sprinkled in and, I must say, better NPC reactivity. Replace Moonman
and swap out bandits for the trillions of supermutants in FO4, remove the few more skill checks you have and there it
is.

Replace what's the best part of the game ( CnC and reactivy ) , remove skill checks and replace the setting of the game with Fallout and you got FO4..
Sorry, what.. :lol:

Yes, líke I said, there are a few more in-dialogue skill checks than FO4. Not by much.
I said remove the bandits, replace them with all copy-pasted supermutants in FO4.
Remove those extra few skill checks. And then I praised companion NPC interactivity.

Do that and it's pretty much FO4 with less weapon variety in terms of how bare bones
an RPG it is.

"Yes, líke I said, there are a few more in-dialogue skill checks than FO4. Not by much.". Ether your math teacher never taught you how to count, or your English teacher never taught you what "not by much" means.

OK. There were a few more skill checks than in FO4. They kinda sucked though.

Drakortha

Liturgist
From what I experienced most of the dialogue checks for skills were just for added flavor. It's that age old illusion of depth & reactivity, like how in Skyrim if you choose to play an elf occasionally an NPC will say to you "you're an elf". But it hardly goes any deeper than that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Lets be honest people, if this game wasn't released by Obsidian, this thread would have 1/3 of the size it has now, I only gave a shit about this game because of the supposed promise of being New Vegas on space and Tim and Boyarsky being involved. It turned out to be budget Fallout 4 on space with vestiges of New Vegas, then my interest dropped alot. Right now I'm just lamenting the opportunity lost and confirming that one of the few sources of incline on RPGs is truly dry at this point. I'm more shitposting about being butthurt that the incline dev list just got one name shorter.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
One thing that I'm wondering about is whether we've all got corrupted by years of playing named, voiced protagonists in AAA games who already come out with their character fleshed out and having a hard time inhabiting a silent protag.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Lets be honest people, if this game wasn't released by Obsidian, this thread would have 1/3 of the size it has now
And if bethesda didn't shat the bed for last few years everyone everywhere else would care about it even less. They had dream team, dream window for release and result is... meh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And then waiting for Bloodline 2 will start... Oh, wait, it's releases earlier.

Bloodline 2 and BG3....:positive:

Myeeah...I don't know. Bloodlines 2 could be fun but this IP is way more niche than Fallout-likes, so way less buzz and fanboyism to mock, plus I don't care about it that much either.

And I suspect Larian will please their fans with BG3. At least I don't think it's gonna be woke or botched enough to be memeworthy.
That never stopped the codex mocking the few retarded fans here. Bloodline still have its retards and it will be fun discussing what pile of shit that game is.

Aaand we blew up past Disco Elysium thread page count in half the time, for a game that nobody is supposedly playing.
LoL you are dumb even for an obsidian deowner. The difference is that disco has 120 pages of people discussing the game and its good moments,while here we have 120 pages people spamming stupid one liners like yours....and mine too. In this thread maybe there are 20 pages of actually discussing the game while in the disco they are a 100.

Hot Coldman

Educated
One thing that I'm wondering about is whether we've all got corrupted by years of playing named, voiced protagonists in AAA games who already come out with their character fleshed out and having a hard time inhabiting a silent protag.

Speak for yourself. I shy away from AAA games. Every once in a while I sit down and play a good computer RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom