Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who gives a shit about what the UI looks like. It's functional, readable and unintrusive. And anyone who thinks NWN looks good is either blinded by nostalgia or has issues.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's functional, readable and unintrusive.
It is basically neither of these things, but if I had to pick the big one, it would be that it actually is intrusive. It doesn't look like it belongs, so it annoys the eye constantly, and that's without taking into account the mobile associations. The game itself also looks like a Unity game if you know what I mean, but it's probably too late to change the direction.

Thonius

Arcane
Right. I don't have problems with UI in Solasta I find it clear and sleak. Better then NWN. Praising NWN "art" style over Solasta is a sign of a rabid fanboy with nostalgia glasses on. It looks bad today and it looked meh(not even good) on release and only fan patches with HD textures somewhat fixed it. Blockines was introduced because of robust tiles set editor, they managed to achieve high modularity by the cost of good looks. It's ugly game any way you put it, with meh art-style, also portraits sucked ass in NWN.
Meanwhile "it's only alpha" excuse is very tiresome trope.
Right things that I don't like in Solasta - how warrior armor looks.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I await your finished UI with bated breath. (and some artistic elegance with the visuals)

Don't hold your breath too much, it might look better but the direction may still not be to your liking considering what you were saying above. That being said I have no idea what it will really look like in the end so again, maybe it will.

That's right, you guys don't have barbarians.

The mind is willing, but the bank account is not.
UI is good and efficient enough and art direction is great the demo was evidence enough . That's just my opinion too but i seen my few share of games since the C64 era ,anything above gold box interface is bonus to me, and we are far above that . Do not let a few comments from people with unreasonable demands , impossible to satisfy demoralize you .

Lacrymas

Arcane
NWN's art style is absolutely unique and it's like nothing we've seen before or since. I don't have any other words for it other than cubic charm. But that's not the point, the point is that I wanted to dispel any notions of graphic whoredom on my part.

Yeah, UI is out of place. Looks like a scifi tablet game. The flat, border-less, grey is an odd choice, given how much of this game is supposedly going to occur in darkness. Some color changes and stylized filagree would go a long way. Something stony with plant roots would do well, given the subterranean nature of this game. Even if the UI stayed this way, it would be far from a deal breaker. Being Steam exclusive on the other hand....

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's the difference between these two paintings for example -
1-Luzifer.jpg

Both are of a fallen male angel with black wings, but one radiates intensity, subdued menace, and style, while the other is kitschy pop, try to guess which is which.
All I see in the above one is a guy with wings that really needed to take a shit then and there.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cool story bro... Then I guess the whole chargen is also a 'placeholder' :lol:

I don't know why the complains about UI on Solasta. I found it very funcional. Baldur's Gate 1/2 and IWD 1/2 in other hands have a awful casting UI mainly for spontaneous casters. All spells in a single horizontal line with no name, just icons and you need to let your mouse cursor for few seconds before read the spell name. Please, give your suggestions about how to improve the Solasta UI.

------------------------------------------

One thing that they could do is to to improve is to put a "bar" with F1~F12 slots where you can put any item or spell/ability. That way, casting, drinking potions, etc would be quicker.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also don't like the UI because I think it doesn't fit aesthetically in a fantasy cRPG.
It feels very ... "modern"? Like some sort of responsive app or something
I disliked this UI in Endless Legend too.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
NWN looked like shit on release and still looks like shit now. If you like that, good for you, but don't try to hold yourself up as some authority on what is pleasing to the eye.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What (normally) looks good to the eye is consistency, which NWN has in spades. Otherwise you get this -
13puf3zoqtm01.jpg

You might say this is unfinished or that the techniques aren't the same, or whatever else, and that's what inconsistency will always look like.

Codex Year of the Donut
NWN looks fucking awful. It looked awful when it released, it was a solid 5 years behind similar games in terms of graphics.
As for consistency: take a look at the UI sometime. The lighting direction is completely different on every piece.

Thonius

Arcane
Just take a look at NWN dialog window and say to me that's okay to constantly look at top left corner to read tiny text.
So you're right. NWN was consistently shitty: 1) Story - shit 2)UI-shit 3)Graphic - shit 4) Sound - shit 5) Combat - shit. 6) Companion control - shit.
Oh boy such a gem!

Lacrymas

Arcane

Oh, this is just golden. Is that someone casting the first circle spell Burning Hands? Why is it so over the top?

It might seem like I'm intent on hating the game, but it's not true. I like the premise and I don't want to see it fall into modern traps like disgusting UIs, eye-raping SFX and bland art. I know it will anyway, sooo I dunno, I guess I like complaining. At least allow us to skip animations.

Last edited:
The spell was elevated to a higher spell slot. Significantly so, judging by the elaborate animation. Still, the "power-up" effects aren't really to my taste either.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh, this is just golden. Is that someone casting the first circle spell Burning Hands? Why is it so over the top?

It might seem like I'm intent on hating the game, but it's not true. I like the premise and I don't want to see it fall into modern traps like disgusting UIs, eye-raping SFX and bland art. I know it will anyway, sooo I dunno, I guess I like complaining. At least allow us to skip animations.

Man do you know how hard is to do animations? This animations and effects are beautiful without ben excessive heavy, i tried to learn a little of 3D animation and modelling, even did some courses and failed miserably and i an a programmer. Fire, water and hair moving are very complex things to animate in a decent way. And this fire effect on this spell can be used on other fire spells, probably even in a red/gold dragon's breath. And compare to other games. Solasta animations looks far superior to Pathfinder Kingmaker and i love PF:KM. Looks like you are complaining by the sake of complaining. If you don't like solasta, go play SCL.

Thonius

Arcane
Bruh hair water and fire is not hard. It's super time consuming though to calculate(fire and fluids) to make them realistic. But there is even presets for Houdini available, just tweak them and calculate.
Animation - yeah that's a bitch since it demands pipeline and shit. Every change in model - you gotta adjust animations etc. Also Acknowledged your dragon agenda.
As for the effect it's not over the top. POE had them over the top. This effect literally made to wow twitter crowd.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. Also Acknowledged your dragon agenda.
As for the effect it's not over the top. POE had them over the top. This effect literally made to wow twitter crowd.

Dragons are cool. A mythological beast with a breath weapon and magical power is cool like a Me 262 with incendiary/explosive rounds is cool IRL. I don't see any problem of liking dragon or liches or vampires or beholders or anything on D&D just like i don't see any problem of liking IRL weaponry.

About PoE, PoE 2 costed Obisdian soul who is now in M$ hands. And PoE doesn't have verticality

I don't know any party based over the top view game with verticality. Might & MAgic Vi~VIII is first person, Daggerfall and Morrowind too and you control only one guy.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Myzzrym
The animation looks cool but a common complaint here is that turn-based games have become too slow because of animations, and I have to agree.
Will there be any option to disable/speed up animations?
You aren't the first guy who asked for that, I have to see with the team but it's actually quite hard to make animations speed up without screwing up all the rest (audio desync or sounds weird, etc etc). I also play a lot of Tactical RPG and I love when I can accelerate animations, especially when it's like my 2nd or 3rd playthrough I JUST WANT TO TO FINISH THAT GOD DAMN RANDOM ENCOUNTER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom