Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Prime Junta

No, I'm not a writer by any standards, I'm just a random shitposter. If I'd be a competent writer with some talent, I'd go to bed at night reading the Chris Avellone Appreciation Station thread and sobbing why the codex doesn't appreciate my talents. Now I go to bed reading general and touching myself. Not that I'm complaining.

These sentences were written by a competent writer. Don't sell yourself short, this is good stuff.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
No, I'm not a writer by any standards, I'm just a random shitposter. If I'd be a competent writer with some talent, I'd go to bed at night reading the Chris Avellone Appreciation Station thread and sobbing why the codex doesn't appreciate my talents. Now I go to bed reading general and touching myself. Not that I'm complaining.

These sentences were written by a competent writer. Don't sell yourself short, this is good stuff.
Thank you for condensing that wall of shame.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Btw Idk if anyone posted here this but it seems like in the UK Chart TOW is top 4 currently. With Split of 78% on Ps4 and 22% on Xbone ( No digital sales, only physhical )

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...of-duty-modern-warfare-sales-beat-black-ops-4

screenshot2019-10-28aeajun.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would say many of the quests in oblivion were creative

This shit so damn subjective. I could never get into Morrowind coz I played it after Wizards&Warrios and Wizardry 8 and it seemed so fucking banal and shit in comparison.

But five years later I played and even finished Oblivion, because that year was the very peak of RPG dark ages and there was nothing new even comparable to TES.

And then I played Fallout 3 and for the same reasons thought it was alright. Like a wank, it served a purpose.

And in about 2012 I played Skyrim and hated it. The dark ages were ending, there were the Witchers and Mass Effect and Dragon Age and Gothic 3 and New Vegas and compared to those Bethesda's new offering felt dated, dumb, with laughable writing and VO, even compared to then awkward semi-indies like CDPR and PB, let alone old Bioware.

I'm p. sure if TOW came out in 2006 we'd all lap it up and then licked Boyarsky's fingers.

Hot Coldman

Educated
I would say many of the quests in oblivion were creative

This shit so damn subjective. I could never get into Morrowind coz I played it after Wizards&Warrios and Wizardry 8 and it seemed so fucking banal and shit in comparison.

But five years later I played and even finished Oblivion, because that year was the very peak of RPG dark ages and there was nothing new even comparable to TES.

And then I played Fallout 3 and for the same reasons thought it was alright. Like a wank, it served a purpose.

And in about 2012 I played Skyrim and hated it. The dark ages were ending, there were the Witchers and Mass Effect and Dragon Age and Gothic 3 and New Vegas and compared to those Bethesda's new offering felt dated, dumb, with laughable writing and VO, even compared to then awkward semi-indies like CDPR and PB, let alone old Bioware.

I'm p. sure if TOW came out in 2006 we'd all lap it up and then licked Boyarsky's fingers.

Maybe... BUT if it came out in 2010, it would have to compete with New Vegas, and that game has proper world
building and interactivity for an open world cRPG

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
How did this game came to be anyway? Was the game planned by Cain who took it to Feargus? Did someone brew this game in their head for years before pre-production started? Was this game the obsession and work of love of someone? I'm gonna wager my left nutsack that Feargus and "the execs" saw an opportunity, a market, for this game and it went into pre-production with a clean slate. No one had any characters, companions, locations, anything concrete in their head before hand. So the game came to life by committee (Feargus). Thank you uncle Feargus, you'll be getting a christmas card again this season. And yes, I still have my right nutsack too, I haven't lost that in a bet yet, thank you.
It was Feargus's concept, apparently: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...go-to-new-thread.119594/page-177#post-6030796

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Can we take a pause and talk about the music? I mean, New Vegas or VTMB are hardly a consistent 10/10 GOTY from start to finish. But every once in a while you would be patrolling the Mojave, feeling kind of bored, then suddenly Jingle Jangle starts playing in the radio and you start blasting out deathclaws to the sweet sounds of swing. And you're having fun again.

I don't normally wish people ill fate, but can we all agree that Justin Bell should be flogged?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Can we take a pause and talk about the music? I mean, New Vegas or VTMB are hardly a consistent 10/10 GOTY from start to finish. But every once in a while you would be patrolling the Mojave, feeling kind of bored, then suddenly Jingle Jangle starts playing in the radio and you start blasting out deathclaws to the sweet sounds of swing. And you're having fun again.

I don't normally wish people ill fate, but can we all agree that Justin Bell should be flogged?
F:NV only had good music because they used classics. Just like F4 pretty much ripped "Atomic Platters" mix. Other games Bell worked on have virtually unmemorable music.

Hot Coldman

Educated
The Witcher, ME1, DA:O were great.
Define "great"

DA:O was a well executed 3D evolution of its genre. There is a lot of roleplaying avaible in form of dialogue.
I'm personally biased on Wticher. I love European and pagan mythology. There's not a lot of choosing what you say in The Witcher,
no number crunching either, so there's no traditional RPG value. I loved the sound, story and atmosphere, what can I say.

ME1, caveat here that I didn't say great RPG, but just "great", because it's obviously not a great RPG -
What can I say, played iit a bunch of times as a renegade because I enjoy the reactions from NPCs pissing
off the council, aliens, etc. Bit of a guilty pleasure.

F:NV only had good music because they used classics. Just like F4 pretty much ripped "Atomic Platters" mix. Other games Bell worked on have virtually unmemorable music.
I think some of the ambient tracks in FNV are quite atmospheric and nice. It has a lot of tracks too.

Hot Coldman

Educated
Fine, saying ME1 was great on a site called RPGCodex even though it's bad RPG-wise was stupid. I'll own that.. and use the noob card.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

:mob:

When the fuck are they going to start contracting real fucking composers instead than using their in-house glorified audio tech? How is this allowed to stand?!

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fine, saying ME1 was great on a site called RPGCodex even though it's bad RPG-wise was stupid. I'll own that.. and use the noob card.

From the 3 games you pointed, ME1 is the worst and closest to not been RPG at all. With so much pure garbage we got last 5 years even getting actual Roleplaying games and not some larping TPS/FPS elevates them to the status of good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom