Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Avierra

Novice
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding the companions, one thing I thought was pretty interesting was the fact that Ellie was the least developed companion out of all of them, despite her being the companion most shown in trailers and such. She also, as far as I am concerned, had the stupidest and flimsiest back story. Her character was morally and mentally juvenile, despite apparently being a talented medic. They could have taken that character in a number of interesting directions, but instead gave her mommy and daddy issues. She presented not a single argument to justify her thoughts (except the aforementioned mommy and daddy issues). This is very weird to me, as it would seem to me that there's actually a pretty strong case for selfishness under the circumstances presented in the game. Too bad she didn't present that at all.

Nyoka I thought had a pretty good backstory, and I enjoyed her companion quest, but it didn't result in any self-reflection or character development. She is just as much a drunk after her quest as before it, but I am probably biased against her because I think chronic drunks are a liability on any number of fronts, especially aboard a tin can in space (and in that vein: target practice in the cargo hold with Ellie? :roll:) .

SAM is a robot, so meh.

Parvati's companion quest was kind of dumb, but at least it did result in some development. I did like her as a character, and thought she served pretty well as a moral compass type.

Unlike many here, I liked Felix (probably because he reminded me strongly of my youngest brother, the rebel without a pause). There was some development there as well after his quest. I thought he was done pretty well.

Vicar Max obviously was the best written and developed companion, as many have noted, although I was never clear if he had actually been a prisoner or just a guard at the prison).

So basically, I did not at all like two of the characters, one of whom was strongly pushed by Obsidian in promotional material. Speaking of which, I never saw or came across the encounter that was shown where the PC blows away a guy who is arguing with a woman.

Regarding the Marauders, I thought they were very strongly based on Firefly's Reavers. I can buy their existence, for various reasons spelled out in the game.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know playing this game makes me almost. Almost. Sympathize bethesda because the success of this game is riding on Bethesda's flop.

Otherwise if not for falout 76, it would just wheek away like dying rat because there is literally nothing special about the game, and obisian don't have the budget to market this game as much as bethesda marketed skyrim and fallout 4.

Molina

Savant
FNV addon deserve to be played?
I've never play them before, it's maybe the right time.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fine, saying ME1 was great on a site called RPGCodex even though it's bad RPG-wise was stupid. I'll own that.. and use the noob card.

The codex is filled with combatfags with a thin veneer of culture separating them from the hoi polloi. Listen to what they have to say but never take it to heart.

Not even close, the actual combatfags on codex could be counted on one hand.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
FNV addon deserve to be played?
I've never play them before, it's maybe the right time.

FNV are the best dlc package ever. Their story alone are really good but they become the best when they're connected and can't describe in words how much i liked those dlcs. I can't recomend enough..

PrettyDeadman

Maximum cringe:

"Writing and characters are really good."
"Mass Effects meets Fallout:New Vegas in a Firefly universe. Yes, thats a pretty good description."

JDR13

Arcane
Simply put, the game has no hooks. Nothing. There isn't a single thing that makes me want to start the game up. Not a single thing I look forward to in the game. No need to over analyze the complexities of how the game portrays corporations in a futuristic setting. Does not matter. A game just has to do something well. Combat can suck but story work. Story can suck but gameplay be awesome. Atmosphere, the ambience be off the charts. Companions who I find interesting. Character development and interesting loot. Something. Give me something! TOW doesn't give you anything. Absolutely nothing. And that is why I can't muster to finish it, let alone play it past the 2nd zone. One word used a lot here lately sums up the whole game well, vapid.

That's a pretty impressive summary for someone who hasn't played past the second zone.

Hellion

Arcane
A quirky asexual whose personal questline revolves around "liking a girl but worrying about whether she likes me too" sounds exactly like what 2019's internet would love, tbh.

Quillon

Arcane
Regarding the companions, one thing I thought was pretty interesting was the fact that Ellie was the least developed companion out of all of them, despite her being the companion most shown in trailers and such. She also, as far as I am concerned, had the stupidest and flimsiest back story. Her character was morally and mentally juvenile, despite apparently being a talented medic. They could have taken that character in a number of interesting directions, but instead gave her mommy and daddy issues. She presented not a single argument to justify her thoughts (except the aforementioned mommy and daddy issues). This is very weird to me, as it would seem to me that there's actually a pretty strong case for selfishness under the circumstances presented in the game. Too bad she didn't present that at all.

And her VO is by far the worst. It sounded good in the first gameplay vid and I was pretty sure they didn't change the VA(with her coming to PAX and talking about the hiring process), after playing the game tho... I think either they changed the VA or she just sucks as a VA with uneven deliveries galore.

Quillon

Arcane
SAM felt cheap, there is no narrative nor physical content for him, woulda been fun to customize a robot like in MotB or just bring ADA along Mass Effect style :P

v1rus

Arcane
I really wanted to give this a fair chance. Like, really. But why does every single character face look like :prosper:?

It also feels like its impossible to build a masculine fucking face. :decline:

That aside, I literally just started the game, and got hit by instant headache. Prolly the cold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom