Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Vorark

Erudite
The new library reeks of nu webdesign, fuck all the wankers crying about how the old one was too archaic and muh covers and shit. I've already disabled most of the bloat but couldn't find a way to change it to a simple list, like you could do before. Anyone know if it's still possible? Like this:

2016020210464212.png

Vorark

Erudite
steam://open/minigameslist

you can also turn off community shit and turn on low bandwidth mode or low performance mode under options -> library

Thanks for the small mode trick, it's not the old list view but it will do for now. I had already ticked the low bandwidth and low performance mode boxes but the new library is still utter crap. Don't care about covers, news and unrelated nonsense. Cut down the noise.

I'm baffled at how Epic, of all things, recently added a no frills list view abd then mighty Valve goes ahead and removes it from Steam. Cutting down features shouldn't be seen as an upgrade.

To add salt to the wound, this shit takes almost 1gb of memory. Good grief.

New library is absolute fucking garbage for the simple fact that there's no way to sort titles associated with someone else's library. I'm engaged in an unholy Steam-69 union with a buddy of mine and now all his shared games are just lumped into the same thing with zero way to filter games to just the shared library or just my own library. I can sort games by their tags on the store (Which is slightly cool) but they removed one piece of functionality I actually fucking used all the time. It also scrolls far, FAR worse than it used to (Noticeable chugging if you just roll the mousewheel down the list) and even functions worse if you click in the library and start typing a game's title to browse to it, since each game's page is "Fancier" which means there's more loading which means that tiny bit of chugging as you START typing means it fucks up and doesn't take you to the correct game once you finish typing. It's also noticeably worse if you want to look at recent news or recent updates for any given game, since you no longer have the "News" and "Recent updates" buttons. They show you some of the latest news on the page itself, but god help you if there's a wash of garbage posts and you're looking for some patch notes or something.

Edit: Looks like you can click the latest piece of news and then it sends you into an infinite scrolling hellscape, so even though it's more of a pain in the ass you can get older news that way at least.

Edit 2: God fucking damn it, there's no way to view your complete library if you also have stuff categorized, too. For example, I made categories for CYOA and board games since those are usually something I get in a vague mood to play a game of that type rather than going "Oh, I want to play Game Title Here" specifically. Previously you could view all and it'd show all your games regardless of category and then you could flip to categories as desired, but now the categorized games are always in their little ghettos now. Everything's terrible.

Edit 3: And what in the fuck does this mean? SO HELP ME GOD STEAM
OWi8aDD.jpg

Edit 4: Okay, that just means I'm filtering software/video/tools from the list. I was afraid it was doing something ungodly like blocking anime tagged games because I filtered anime from my store results, and if they started filtering shit I already owned I was going to go crazy. That's fine and dandy though.

Edit 5: Nice. Can filter and search your library with a lot of data from the store, but no sorting things by their Steam review scores. It'd be nice to filter to a certain genre and then sort by review scores to see what's the most immediately promising but no such luck.

Edit 6: Christ, the memory usage. 8 gigs was pretty fucking borderline already and now it's feeling worse now that Steam just got fucking bloated.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
9CE1350978145ACE353C0D36FFE8D35D524CFDA3

This is going to wear on me. Is there a way to make the left tab bigger?

It looks cramped as hell!

It's...shortsighted of them to not automatically create a dynamic collection with someone's family shared library. It's not like the program can't tell. When I click on the shared game it says "From X's library". It just expects me to create the collection and drag games one by one into it.

At least 70% of the screen space is used to tell me important info like every single person on my friendlist who ever played Pillars of Eternity and when they earned the achievement for upgrading their stronghold 5 times, so there's that.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
It is shit.

edit.
Turning on low performance mode got rid of some bullshit, but who the fuck thought that putting blurred mirror image of game graphics as background of text was a desirable idea?

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Activity and news should be on the right side, thank god you can disable the community shit.

I hope Valve will tire out and let people customize their Library page.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I see valve still hasn't mastered the programming skill necessary to allow people make subcategories in their library.
Maybe they should Hire John Carmack for this great undertaking.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
:what:

Wtf just happened here?,wtf is this shit?,wtf happened to my steam?

Even checking the low bandwidth/low performance options when I click on the library tab it's slow as fuck

db917b65dc76c5f49aeee9365b8b7ef246059e25a173582da40969fd784b1bce.jpg

How about some optimization before making the changes live Gaben

Last edited:

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Such resistance to change. Don't you get it? You don't have a choice, thy Lord Gaben as spoken. Those that shall oppose his reforms will perish by his divine flame :flamesaw:

On a more serious note. Yes I agree with the sentiment, what ever happened to product testing and QUALITY control? :prosper:

Dexter

Arcane
Talking about Opt-In? Can I Opt Out of Beta now? I only did it cause I like the new Library Screen and have been waiting for similar Changes for Years. Categories and shit aren't going to disappear or anything?

They released a beta branch but no one opted in.
So they forced the beta branch on everyone.

People did, and they complained. It was ignored though. This is how designers operate now. They're all convinced that complainers are always just an "outspoken minority" and that the masses will always love the innovations they bring.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To quote myself:

The current interface is usable, the new one will, without a doubt, be shit.

And yeah, it's garbage. The old list view showed everything you needed. The new view is hopelessly cluttered. And you can't even customize it to any significant degree.

Speaking of the new stuff being busted, Underrail. A patch just started downloading for Underrail, so I clicked to the game and saw 0 news, patch notes, or anything listed on my library page. I click the "Store page" button and the store page for the game has fucking patch notes and news. :argh:

Edit: HOLY GODDAMN SHIT. I tried restarting Steam because I thought "Well maybe something's busted and that'll get Underrail's library page working". No luck there, but Steam no longer puts you on the same game when you close the program and start it again. It just puts you in the generic library page. :argh::argh::argh:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
fuck gaben up the ass and fuck steve jobs twice for starting the retarded trend of hiring dumbshit artists to design GUIs. steam is once again a bloated monstrosity (although it's been getting slower and slower by the year). I don't need dozens of videos or gifs streaming, all I need is a list of my games with a few sorting options and a fucking play button.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
One upside is that Steam now finally allows me to see the 'Free to Play' games that I've played through the years and have been cluttering up my library. Now I can remove them.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How do you actually view all your games? I can't see 100 or so of mine but the filtering options are all unchecked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom