Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Jezal_k23

The descent to Blighttown culminating in fighting Queelag and/or finding the shortcut back to Firelink Shrine is my favorite sequence in all the Soulslike games I've played. There's nothing quite like it in any of Fromsoft's other recent games. It felt fucking terrifying the first time I played, like I couldn't ever find my way back to the surface again. The utter relief when that happened was incredible.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Demon's Souls can now run at 60 or 120 fps, at any resolution on PC. Just needs a powerful CPU and an average GPU.

overly excitable young man

So as they are in sale again.
Are DS 2 and 3 worth it, if i only had above average fun with DS 1?

yellowcake

Arcane
Shit shit shit today I got this bastard Stray Demon to maybe two or three hits's worth of HP and then he got me. I was doing great about halfway through, then he changed his routine and I started loosing my nerve. Still managed to chuck 5 or 6 esti before succumbing. Damn my hands are shaking no more DS for me today.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Stray demon is a bastard at first, but once you find the exploit he becomes really easy.
This is what you do-

See his huge ass? Pound it like a cheap whore. No, really, just hit his ass. His AoE attacks only really hit the front of him, so if you stay behind him he won't hit you. I do recall there being a little bit of a shock wave that can reach behind though, so you might have to back off now and then. Shields with high magic resist tend to help as well, as his AoE is pure magical damage, iirc. Also, sometimes his AI will break and he'll just repeat doing the butt slam, so back off, wait for him to land and repeat. He's basically a big, more dangerous ogre from DS2.
Also, bleed is your friend. Unlike Dark Souls 3, Demons in Dark Souls 1 have shit bleed resistance.

yellowcake

Arcane
Yeah, I have mostly figured it out, still I only have the chance to try this tactic if I manage to establish myself in the position behind which is not often. Fall damage + instakill if I don't manage to land close to the guy and roll towards instantly.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Happy Halloween, guys. :)

aXjgw3g_700bwp.webp

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Shit shit shit today I got this bastard Stray Demon to maybe two or three hits's worth of HP and then he got me. I was doing great about halfway through, then he changed his routine and I started loosing my nerve. Still managed to chuck 5 or 6 esti before succumbing. Damn my hands are shaking no more DS for me today.

I forgot how do you get to him ?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I forgot how do you get to him ?

Go to undead Asylum from Firelink Shrine. You have to climb the tower and get back to the bird. Then go to where you fought the Asylum Demon, and you'll fall through the floor.
Its pretty much a bonus area. You don't have to do it, but you do get some pretty useful items

- Killing the Stray Demon gives you a Slab. Unlike Dark Souls 2, Slabs are really rare, I think you can only get 4 in a single playthrough.
- You find the doll in one of the cells, which is required to enter the Painted World
- You also find the Rusted Ring, which is really goddamn useful for traversing blighttown

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Its not on PC, so that's objectively wrong.
Demon's Souls is also a console exclusive, yet it narrowly defeats Dark Souls for the title of best in the Souls series.

Ee6NGcp.jpg

Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
yet it narrowly defeats Dark Souls
Low budget romanian voice actress vs. God-tier voice actress of the bonfire keepers. Lmao, you suck, dude.

No plunging attacks, no shield breaking, no jumping, ridiculous inventory encumbrance, game more primitive and low cost in all aspects. "Better dark soul". It's a prototype for the DS games that begged to be improved.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Low budget romanian voice actress [...]
Her name is not Romanian. It's actually very slavic. Very likely Ukranian.
What the hell does Ukraine have to do with it?

Muradasilova is her surname.

First of all, ukrainian surnames typically end in "ko".

The ones that end in "ov" are usually Russian.

The exception here is that when Russia conquered the Caucasus region, which consisted of dagestani, chechens, and various other muslim tribes, these people had a purely oral language. They had a primitive culture, meaning they couldn't write and they had no surnames. So they had to come up with surnames of their own, following Russian language rule, which is to take something and add "ov" at the end, and write it in Cyrillic. Typically they took "Muhammed" or some other muslim name, and added "ov" at the end. Murad is a muslim name. Muradasilov is an example of russian-made muslim surname.

But since USSR allowed to move around, she could be part uzbek, part belorussian and there'd be no way to tell. She can be anything.

Her accent is Russian, but I said Romanian, because it was so misplaced and sounded so cheap. I wanted to convey disdain.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Her accent is Russian, but I said Romanian, because it was so misplaced and sounded so cheap. I wanted to convey disdain.
Romanians are Latin. And their names usually end with "escu" or "eci".

I only wanted to help you out, Bester - not antagonize you. You do you, and you figure out whatever you want from what I said.

Your disdain has been understood.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm a Russian and I see god damn Russians every day with their specific scummy behaviors associated typically to Russian scum. Meanwhile, a fantasy setting has a very concrete purpose of offering easy ESCAPISM to a very different world, so when I see someone do Russian accent in a fantasy setting, it TRIGGERS ME. IT HAS NO PLACE IN FANTASY. IT'S FUCKING BAD.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Evetta Muradasilova delivered such an exceptional performance as the Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls
I'll disagree. There's even a line where she stumbles in the Demons Souls, and that was kept in the game. Very unprofessional.

My guess is: Miyazaki liked what he was hearing and asked her back again, because he doesn't speak English well enough to understand that her accent has no place there.

praetor

Arcane
DkS & BB >>>>>>>>>>> DeS 'cause the only thing DeS has over the others (and not even by a big margin) is the atmosphere and one level (and "it's the first" if you care about that)

every other Souls game beats it in gameplay and overall level and boss design resoundingly. it's not even funny. there's not a single thing DeS does mechanically that isn't done better in the later games. i got bored to tears on my 3rd playthrough of DeS [and yes, it was my first Souls game] and only the multiplayer kinda kept it somewhat fresh (though the extremely poor balance and even worse netcode kept getting in the way), while i fully enjoyed 5+ playthroughs of the others

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom