Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Hating on Obsidian isn't fun for me. Despite their games getting increasingly worse

TBH I think TOW is way better or at least way interesting than Deadfire so far. Not a high bar for you guys i know
What makes you like it better/find it more interesting?

It's a different genre with the first person combat and whatnot, is that it, or do you prefer the setting?
Lack of Sawyer influence?

The game not being a big open world helps a lot. Everything is smaller so i don't waste time walking/travel between places to find my objective.

Combat is more fun in TOW. RTwP was a mess, slow , confusing and not very enganing.
Turn Based isn't very balanced , it's slow af and trash mobs combat make really boring after a while. After a while in my game was buff Aloth a lot , spam stun with Eder and him, let Xoti buff us and two damage dealer.

I still find that they relies too much on lore that nobody give a fuck like PoE1. The companions quests and banter was really lacking, not mentioned romance was very weak too.

Last edited:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I'm sick to death of people pretending like sexual disorders like asexuality are 'interesting' and 'fresh' and 'bringing something new to the genre'. Fuck off already. There is NOTHING interesting about someone who doesn't like sex, are you fucking kidding me? Sex is like one of the top 5 most fun things you can do with another person, along with Magic: The Gathering and face-painting with glue. If your main character trait is that you don't like sex, I'm pretty sure I'm going to dislike your character.

The asexuals on Reddit are "psyched" by it though.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm sick to death of people pretending like sexual disorders like asexuality are 'interesting' and 'fresh' and 'bringing something new to the genre'. Fuck off already. There is NOTHING interesting about someone who doesn't like sex, are you fucking kidding me? Sex is like one of the top 5 most fun things you can do with another person, along with Magic: The Gathering and face-painting with glue. If your main character trait is that you don't like sex, I'm pretty sure I'm going to dislike your character.

It could have been interesting if she had to deal with the natural consequences of her asexuality, namely that the other engineer lady wouldn't want a relationship with her since every normal person considers sex an integral part of a romantic relationship.

Codex Year of the Donut

It could have been interesting if she had to deal with the natural consequences of her asexuality, namely that the other engineer lady wouldn't want a relationship with her since every normal person considers sex an integral part of a romantic relationship.
It wouldn't be an author self-insert/fanfic anymore then

Yosharian

Arcane

Right, that would actually have been interesting to dive into. Of course that could never be a storyline because it's far too offensive and/or triggering to suggest that an ace might have trouble finding a partner like themselves.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
It only took me about 25 hours to finish everything. Some of the quests were pretty decent, the aesthetics/graphics are fairly nice, but it's very much style over substance and I really couldn't give a damn about most of the characters. Funny how almost every single female character in the game has a butch lesbian haircut. The whole thing feels like a very sanitized, safe, by-the-numbers type game with some good ideas but there's less than meets the eye. That being said, I did still enjoy it a fair amount, so 7/10 good for what it is.

Yosharian

Arcane
YAAAS. Diversity is sooo important. So glad you're on board with the program.

Yeah, why have diversity, let's just recycle every tired cliche and knock-off we always get, right? Who wants anything new when you can have the usual?
You're absolutely right, Fluent! I definitely want developers to "recycle every tired cliche and knock-off" that we usually get. I definitely don't want anything new! That's a super insightful and charitable interpretation of my post. Thanks dude!

(Sorry, is it offensive if I call you 'dude'? I wouldn't want to.. well, you know.)

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Right, that would actually have been interesting to dive into. Of course that could never be a storyline because it's far too offensive and/or triggering to suggest that an ace might have trouble finding a partner like themselves.

Or that she might have to go through the HORROR of having to put up with having sex with the person she loves occasionally..

KevinV12000

Arcane
I haven't read anything in this thread yet, so please forgive me if this has been brought up before. I try to avoid threads on games I'm likely to play, so as to not go in with any preconceived notions.

But given my experience to date with Outer Worlds, I'm probably not wrong by guessing that the Kodex Kommon Konsensus (the *real* KKK) on this game is that it's a stinker and a big let down from Obsidian. The game is good enough for what it I think it is in Obsidian's judgment: a solid, polished console shooter-RPG designed for today's marketplace, so as to cement its place in its new ownership scheme, ensure Obsidian's profitability and stability, and allow them to continue to make the kind of games they really prefer to make, like Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity.

But, even if one takes that view, the game is just plain broken.

I'm playing on Supernova difficulty, solo'ing, and just walked through one of the main bad guy's headquarters in Byzantium, one-shotting every guard and robot in my way. I didn't even get scratched. With the time dilation thing, high sneak and a focus on headshots, and with perks that up that damage and re-charge the time delay thing each kill, plus ensuring a critical hit after each kill shot, I just mowed down 12 boss guards, with the game's best armor and weapons, before they could get more than one or two shots each off.

I want to like this game, but the writing, art direction, companion character design and quest design are so fomulaic, it's really, really hard to do so.

Look, if this game becomes a best seller and Obsidian is set, and it means we get more games like Tyranny, I'm good with it. I really want the best for these guys.

But, damn, my character is like some kind of demi-god, and I'm no min-maxxer or big into planning out characters for maximum combat efficiency.

Sigh.

Yosharian

Arcane

Or that she might have to go through the HORROR of having to put up with having sex with the person she loves occasionally..
Apparently a lot of them do that just to fit in.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Apparently a lot of them do that just to fit in.

Oh, the Humanity!

Yosharian

Arcane
I haven't read anything in this thread yet, so please forgive me if this has been brought up before. I try to avoid threads on games I'm likely to play, so as to not go in with any preconceived notions.

But given my experience to date with Outer Worlds, I'm probably not wrong by guessing that the Kodex Kommon Konsensus (the *real* KKK) on this game is that it's a stinker and a big let down from Obsidian. The game is good enough for what it I think it is in Obsidian's judgment: a solid, polished console shooter-RPG designed for today's marketplace, so as to cement its place in its new ownership scheme, ensure Obsidian's profitability and stability, and allow them to continue to make the kind of games they really prefer to make, like Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity.

I'm playing on Supernova difficulty, solo'ing, and just walked through one of the main bad guy's headquarters in Byzantium, one-shotting every guard and robot in my way. I didn't even get scratched. With the time dilation thing, high sneak and a focus on headshots, and with perks that up that damage and re-charge the time delay thing each kill, plus ensuring a critical hit after each kill shot, I just mowed down 12 boss guards, with the game's best armor and weapons, before they could get more than one or two shots each off.

I want to like this game, but the writing, art direction, companion character design and quest design are so fomulaic, it's really, really hard to do so.

Look, if this game becomes a best seller and Obsidian is set, and it means we get more games like Tyranny, I'm good with it. I really want the best for these guys.

But, damn, my character is like some kind of demi-god, and I'm no min-maxxer or big into planning out characters for maximum combat efficiency.

Sigh.
I was going to read this post but then I saw that you liked Tyranny

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Btw Did i missed something in RoseWay? Its was really short.

I killed the criminal leader because she was kind a asshole , didn't killed the rapts, didn't gave Anton his research because he was a selfish pathetic bastard , was cool with Porter and keept every other research to myself to sell to the Granny.
It was pretty short and feeling that something was missing..

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Sigh.

Why do you assume they wouldn't jus make more of this slop rather than isometric games if this is a hit? Deadfire was a massive flop after all (despite being immensely superior to ToW in every single way).

Codex Year of the Donut

I killed the criminal leader because she was kind a asshole , didn't killed the rapts, didn't gave Anton his research because he was a selfish pathetic bastard , was cool with Porter and keept every other research to myself to sell to the Granny.
It's short. I think they cut content considering they had Berke as a fairly iconic person during their trailers and he basically only had 2-3 lines in the game.
Also, I'm pretty sure they made him darker since the trailer but I'll have to double check.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
It's short. I think they cut content considering they had Berke as a fairly iconic person during their trailers and he basically only had 2-3 lines in the game.
Also, I'm pretty sure they made him darker since the trailer but I'll have to double check.

It really seems like cut content too because Anton don't comment what you said in emerald vale too unlike the very first gameplay. Also idk if agreeing with the criminal leader triggers or not triggers Porter saying that i was too friendly with her.

Codex Year of the Donut

Various screenshots from the game at different lighting times/angles:
image.png

image.png

image.png
Trailer:
image.png
Complexion overall looks a bit different
:M

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Various screenshots from the game at different lighting times/angles:
image.png

image.png

image.png
Trailer:
image.png

:M

I think it's ligthing too be honest. The place is more lighten up in the trailer than the other screenschoots also yeah.. There's a good chunk of the dialogue was just cut. After talked with him , I was like.. wtf no quest with him ? No more dialogue ? Just that. It's kinda strange.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think it's ligthing too be honest. The place is more lighten up in the trailer than the other screenschoots also yeah.. There's a good chunk of the dialogue was just cut. After talked with him , I was like.. wtf no quest with him ? No more dialogue ? Just that. It's kinda strange.
Might be. Everything looks more dull in the game itself.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Another blunder from obshitian. The game has barely ten hours of content. It is insulting to ask 60 euros for this. When their priority is fully voiced dialogues in linear levels you know what's up.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's wrong with an asexual character? It hasn't been done much, I welcome diversity and characters that aren't the usual knock-offs we always get. Deal with it.
it's not a problem, but the whole game's writing fell fall almost on every aspect. you can mask actual complex character with "76 different sexual identity" whatever (and i am very left on social issues too. i dont mind all the male looking female, or other inclusion most games put in games) it's just a fact that the writing is mediocre at best.

LizardWizard

Cipher
it's just a fact that the writing is mediocre at best.

You could say the same about Fallout 1

Tim/Leo needed a monetary slam dunk after Troika. Now they are the Fathers of the Fallout IP, which prints money and the Fathers of this generation's Mass Effect, which is going to print money despite Codex's butthurt. Microsoft is going throw buckets of money at that them and they can sail into the sunset.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom