Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Warned the game is small scale, didn't warn how bland it is (except indirectly by their gameplay videos), it's finished in ~30 h, and they still cut content.

Much ado over nothing.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How does one stretch this out to 30h? I finished in 21 and had done practically every quest.

Do people not use the sprint button?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
At least in jrpgs characters have actual skills and spells. Here you control a baboon running around with a hammer. Want some engaging fights, hold right click to block(you can't block projectiles, that would be unrealistic in a game about women in positions of power) and left click to smack big lizards.
Truly we have before us the Ass Effect of this generation.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
If you switch sci-fi for fantasy, you get the same deal. I'm loosing hope for Pillars 3. :despair
There is a kind of fantasy right now that I feel is best exemplified by J. Rowling. It’s this portrayal of a fantasy where there is not just a male, white, cisgender future for our society. It is a spectrum of colors, a spectrum of experiences, the spectrum of languages, a spectrum of sexual identification, and of sexuality. How important was it for you as a writer to really look at the spectrum of human experience and project it forward into the future of fantasy?

It was hugely important and I honestly wish we could do more of it if we had more time. I’d write a million more words of unique people living their lives. Maybe in future projects I’ll get a chance to do that. But it’s not just representing a hopeful world, or a world that we want to see. It’s, from my point of view, representing the world as it currently is. There are women in positions of power. There are people of color doing all kinds of jobs. There are queer people in every corner and class of the world. And so I want the world of the fantasy to reflect the world of the now. And that means reflecting our current reality.

Every mention of diversity, sexuality in games shrinks immersion. Writers just can't get that. Why?

study.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Except when there are pretty ladies to be saved and then thank the male hero with sex of course. It's very funny to me how SJWs have been saying the constant depictions of blacks as primitive, women as duplicitous and cunning, gay men as evil or perverse and etc is ...not ideal, and that's obviously ok for some people, but when straight men are overwhelmingly depicted as inept underlings, suddenly we need social justice for men in fiction.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Every mention of diversity, sexuality in games shrinks immersion. Writers just can't get that. Why?

There is something really wrong with this claim and a picture - diversity and sexiness in media are almost at odds right now.

In fact, TOW is so prudish, that I half expected to find factory that produces grown-up, dumb and obedient colonist with suppressed reproduction instinct as cool secret deep into plot. Beside the boy who was hitting on Parvati (failed totally) and her perfect lesbian mommy, I am yet to encounter any NPC who looked or acted as couple, ~8 hours into game.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Except when there are pretty ladies to be saved and then thank the male hero with sex of course. It's very funny to me how SJWs have been saying the constant depictions of blacks as primitive, women as duplicitous and cunning, gay men as evil or perverse and etc is ...not ideal, and that's obviously ok for some people, but when straight men are overwhelmingly depicted as inept underlings, suddenly we need social justice for men in fiction.
'Not ideal'? That's how you frame what they're saying?

Is anyone actually saying that we need social justice for men?

You're being terribly disingenuous here. You're doing the thing where people say, for example, "All Anita Sarkeesian said was that maybe we should have better female characters..." when actually the principal problems people had with her was all the other stuff she said.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

All of this is just filler content in thrilling and swashbuckling adventure. Look at Lord of the Rings.
Every romance in there, you just want to be over with so you get to the most interesting part and that is sense of adventurous, frightening and wondrous quest.
Today,
sexuality, diversity, SJW-ism is filler and cringefest content for social media.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
'Not ideal'? That's how you frame what they're saying?

Is anyone actually saying that we need social justice for men?
The ones which aren't insane, yes. This is in the context of fiction. What do you think making lists about how men in this game (and in PoE2 for some reason) are overwhelmingly depicted as inept, subservient to women, weak, bad, in the background etc. tries to achieve? It's not simply stating that that's how it is and c'est la vie, let's move on to other stuff. There's obviously some animosity going on and someone not being happy about something.

Deleted Member 22431

In fact, TOW is so prudish, that I half expected to find factory that produces grown-up, dumb and obedient colonist with suppressed reproduction instinct as cool secret deep into plot.
Reactionaries, pay attention. For all your complaints against the degeneracy of modern gaming, the SJW fanaticism is doing a great job of reestablishing outdated morals.

Deleted Member 22431

it's just a fact that the writing is mediocre at best.

You could say the same about Fallout 1.
No, you can't. You think you can because you are confused. You are doing a poor analysis. FO was bigger than the sum of its parts, it was an inspired and innovative game, and it was ahead of its time. It had charm and pace. You don't judge cRPG writing by the level of the written prose in comparison to novels, as if the writing were dissociated from the gameplay. Good cRPG writing is always tied to elegant game design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 22431

You don't understand. This is a product made for a male audience that likes these tropes, not for some small minority that is irrelevant in sales numbers. It is an insult that we should play games with quests and tasks that reflect the interests of people that have nothing to do with us. This is not a matter of social justice. It is a matter of coherence and productivity. On the other hand, if people here don't enjoy this proselytism, don't buy their games. It is stupid to complain about Obsidian and then buy their next game. It is that simple.

v1rus

Arcane
Got in the game, its cool so far.

Have no idea how that inhaler slot thing works, or what to do companion commands do, and the game doesnt seem to have an explanation for it in the codex. But, eh.

Now, does anyone have a quest list per zones?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I actually think that Codex, as well as most of the anti-SJW groups, often end up getting into too much paranoia about games, movies, or whatever product is being discussed at the moment.

That said... Now that I've finished the game, in retrospect, I can see how there is a lot of "weird" stuff in it.

You and some others ITT are like Parvati in the game. You're happily skipping across the dystopian landscape, picking flowers and merrily singing along, completely oblivious to the ambient reality. All the scowling people around you are just grumpies, grouchies and sourpusses.
But sloooooowly, it starts dawning on you something might be wrong after all.

Better late then never tho, unlike some others ITT.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Today,
sexuality, diversity, SJW-ism is filler and cringefest content for social media.

Hm, in my logic video-games = entertainment != social media.

So diversity and SJW-ism are somehow belong in some social media aimed at particular audience, but...

Please, please, I beg you, leave it out of my SP games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got in the game, its cool so far.

Have no idea how that inhaler slot thing works, or what to do companion commands do, and the game doesnt seem to have an explanation for it in the codex. But, eh.

The inhaler mechanic doesn't come into play until you unlock more slots. You can put any consumable in them and when you press F it activates them all at once. But until you unlock the slots it's just for healing.

Companion commands - Z to move a companion to a particular place (they'll shoot at enemies that come close but stay in place), X to direct them to attack a particular enemy. Hold Z for a second to cancel previous orders.

Deleted Member 22431

What's wrong with an asexual character? It hasn't been done much, I welcome diversity and characters that aren't the usual knock-offs we always get. Deal with it.
Need more tags.

Look, if this game becomes a best seller and Obsidian is set, and it means we get more games like Tyranny, I'm good with it. I really want the best for these guys.
Why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom