Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, what do they mean by turn-based combat? Standard turn-based combat, or is it still the simultaneous tick-by-tick thing?

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

I just hope they don't lose themselves with exotic details about the setting and deliver a ton of gameplay content. Players want tons of quests and they are two-person team, after all.

Deleted Member 22431

What, what do they mean by turn-based combat? Standard turn-based combat, or is it still the simultaneous tick-by-tick thing?
It means what it says. Proper turn-based combat. The phase combat thing was abandoned. Good riddance.

grimace

Arcane
What, what do they mean by turn-based combat? Standard turn-based combat, or is it still the simultaneous tick-by-tick thing?

The keyword you missed was "single player".

"we decided to roll back to single-player turn-based combat"

In Alpha I tested a map where I controlled two player characters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I get that, they removed companion control. But often any combat that isn't real-time or real-time-with-pause is described as "turn-based", so it's not clear to me whether they actually changed the system besides that.

grimace

Arcane

I get that, they removed companion control. But often any combat that isn't real-time or real-time-with-pause is described as "turn-based", so it's not clear to me whether they actually changed the system.

The combat I've experienced in the latest alpha remains in line with what has been described.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Single-character? :negative:
With allies that can be given commands.
Companions will remain auxiliary and the player can direct general commands to (move/attack/talk) as originally planned. Defend is now a normal action you can roll for while playing. Companions are both other agents, hires, and anyone on the street if you can charm/bio-hack them.

Deleted Member 22431

how many times have they changed core combat mechanics/artstyle/UI in this fucking game
The changes were all sensible and improved the game. As I said, the only worry is whether they will manage to deliver a game packed with quests and a lengthy playthrough. You can already expect they will add engrossing systems to tweak, etc.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, honestly as a backer, I want them to take as much time as they can with this game, without of course putting themselves at the risk of bankruptcy. The foundations they are laying down here are great, particularly because they won't just settle for what materializes first and most easily. I don't want it to end up like Serpent in the Staglands, which also had a good foundation, was fun enough, but ultimately felt like it wasn't as content-full as they would have liked it to be. I want this game to be packed full of the content its foundation will eventually deserve. And I want it to be a smash hit for Whalenought, or, you know, as close to a smash hit it can be for a two person indie team.

Jinn

Arcane
As a backer, I'd appreciate if they had a clear vision and concept before asking for money.

Well, when you back a project you always have to be prepared to have the regular hiccups that come with development, particularly with a two man team. I've been burned before, but when it's something like this I can cut some slack. They're transparent about their limitations and they continue to work through problems. I'm sure you can ask for a refund or something along those lines if you're unsatisfied.

Myself? I understand how hard it can be for them, and how much it's important to them to get it just right considering how much they've sacrificed. I'd rather wait for them to nail it down than for them to push out some proof of concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom