Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Untitled.png

Untitled.png

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
At least, an update about character creation (WIP) and delayed combat demo to January, with a selection of screenshots.
https://www.realms-beyond.com/combat-demo-character-creation-and-screenshots/

Combat Demo, Character Creation and Screenshots

It’s been a while since our last update. We’ve been hard at work designing maps and writing quests – and finishing up the combat demo, which is taking us longer than expected. The main reason for that is the combat demo’s scope: rather than just giving you an arena with a handful of fights, we give you a small story, four different maps with varied environments, shops to buy new equipment in, and the full character creation system as it will appear in the complete game.

The combat already works very well, but we still need to finish up the character creation menu and the shopping interface, and the encounters you’re going to face in the combat demo will have to be playtested a couple of times to make sure it offers just the right amount of challenge. The combat demo is the first taste of the game you’re going to get, and we want to make sure the first impression is a great one. Honestly, we underestimated the actual amount of work the combat demo would require. At the end, we don’t want to release unfinished gameplay elements and that’s why we need to spend more time in designing, implementing and polishing than originally planned. Therefore we are moving the release date of the combat demo to January.

Character Creation

The most important part of any RPG is its character creation. Many of us have spent hours trying to create different character builds in Fallout, or assembling that perfect party of six in Icewind Dale or the old Gold Box titles. Realms Beyond is going to offer you a complex character creation tool that gives you all the classic choices you would expect – ability scores, classes, skills, feats – and some unique ideas of our own that allow you to further define your characters and their role in the world.

Rather than just picking a race and be done with it, Realms Beyond lets you choose your character’s origin: which region of the world does your character hail from? It is more than just a cosmetic choice, as your character’s origin will influence the knowledge of local customs, politics and events the character has, as well as the reaction some NPCs will have towards that character.

Furthermore, you will be able to select a descent for your characters: which social class they hail from and what they did before they became adventurers. Noble, craftsman, peasant – these descents also come with unique background knowledge for your character. Characters with a noble background will be familiar with the customs of the nobility, while characters with a peasant background will be able to tell a farmer why his crops are failing.

New Screenshots!

Finally, we want to give you some new eye candy to feast on: a few shots of some of the beautiful new locations we have built, and some shots from the combat demo maps in action will follow.

edit : from the discord channel, it seems we will be able to import our own portraits.

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!

This is really looking nice right? I hope they work on the descriptions of poor Kendrick "Growing up as an orphan on the strees of Waystead" okay? People who paid to be part of the discord chat to get an early copy of the game should be using that time to do quality control to make this a great game on release and get those mistakes put into a bug tracker. It has that nice Ultima look too in those new screens shared so already looking great in that regard with that old school vibe your mind is already racing toward the wonders the world will have to share and what we will come across.

Thanks,
Sherry

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone else got an email that said something about making a Ceres forum account to claim digital rewards? I assume thats just for the special forum titles or whatever? I kinda don't wanna make yet another account somewhere.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This is the only game I'm looking forward to.

Isometric + turn-based + hexgrid + OGL 3.5 + FPC 6 + toolset + OLM = win.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the only game I'm looking forward to.

Isometric + turn-based + hexgrid + OGL 3.5 + FPC 6 + toolset + OLM + barbarians= win.
Now now, I know you're looking forward to this, but don't lose sight of the important things, ok?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom