Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Egosphere

Arcane
Unbelievable some site no one has ever heard of gives the game a bad score while everyone else doesn't but this one has to be correct? Ever heard of confirmation bias.
you've never heard of ign?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Unbelievable some site no one has ever heard of gives the game a bad score while everyone else doesn't but this one has to be correct? Ever heard of confirmation bias.
you've never heard of ign?

No, I meant the stevivor 3.5 review that fantadomat has posted I have seen it reposted on other sites as proof that the game is garbage. Even the IGN review is positive though it heavily criticizes the gameplay.

Sentinel

Arcane
QvKaigg.jpg

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Unpopular opinion here: game about delivery guy, who transfer useful shit between cities in post-apoc setting isn't a bad idea on itself, but setting that Kozdima chosen for such game is shit and world completely barren and empty in terms of npc (majority of them holograms wtf), lack side quests and interesting ruins. At least according to some reviews. Not to mention that marketing campaign can be considered as fraud, so pretentious and lacking information about product.

Black

Arcane
EHRNAdS.png

"Days later, when people ask me if I enjoyed Death Stranding, I don't even know where to begin. I'm not even sure enjoyment is the point."
This is so bad it actually breaks people and makes them question basic concepts.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Death Stranding is an irredeemable piece of garbage that should serve as a warning to publishers who give developers carte blanche to create ‘art’.
:slamdunk:

I'm gonna be honest, I'd rather these cocksucking money loaded publishers waste their money on such projects no matter if they turn out to be irredeemable pieces of garbage.
It is a thousand times preferable to ruining beloved series and churning out creatively bankrupt, vapid, regurgitated microtransaction ridden cumstained popamole diarrhea like they already do.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
even the high scoring reviews start w/ a 3 paragraph preamble about how the game is "not fun" "boring" "tedious" etc but then give it 9/10 because "ART" while simultaneously saying the "ART" in question is so mind numbingly obtuse and in your face that it has no nuance whatsoever.

incidentally most of these reviews are clearly sony fan sites or sites no one has heard of run by resetera members. even well known sites with sony fanboys like Easy Allies (they gave The Last Guardian a 10/10) can't go higher than 8...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
IIRC he wanted MGS3 to be about a protagonist named Tom who goes to the moon because he was infatuated with David Bowie's Space Oddity at the time, until his team told him that was fucking stupid.

Citation needed.

Looks like Konami was right in firing this hack after 8 years of engine development and millions spent on hollywood actors instead of actually making a decent game.

While true, it's not that simple and both parties are at fault.

This is what I think happened based on what available information we got:

This pretty much all started with MGS4.
Kojima has done with the franchise and wanted to embark on other projects. However since the series was very sucessful both financially and critically, and fans kept demanding a direct sequel to MGS2 (he even got his fair share of death threats). So corporate prettt much forced to something he absolutely didn't want to do that is make yet another MGS that continued after 2. This was when his tension with higher ups started.
MGS2 wasn't meant to have a sequel, and any attempt to do so was doomed from the start because of how batshit insane that game's ending was. So the only way to appease fans was simply to resort to fan service.
Then Konami forces him to do a few more titles of a series he was already burned out years ago.
Finally around 2011 Konami starts work on their amazing Fox Engine, and they tell Kojima to make a 5th mailine MGS game (I say this because official images of MGS's 5 prototype version in the Fox Engine were released in 2012) . But since he already enough must've asked full liberty for both this game and to pursue other projects.
Konami agrees and so Kojima starts developing on MGS5.
However this isn't the only project he works on. At the same time he also develops PT along side Guilermo and comes up with the first idea for Death Stranding (alot of the basic concepts of DS exist in Metal Gear Survive, so DS is defenetively stuff from those days). This defenetively creates a big problem between the man and the corporate higher-ups.
In august 2014, the truth behind the mysterious project known as PT is revealed and a demo released. Konami starts to lose patience and tell him to cut the beggining act of MGS5 as a sort of demo to gauge the public response. So in december of that same year Ground Zeroes is released and the results are very positive.
Kojima wants to release PT first before GZ continuation and possibly wants more time with TPP in the oven. Konami however wants to play it safe and release TPP the fastest possible, specially now that it is confirmed to be a sucess.
Kojima protests. So Konami cancels PT and gives Kojima until the end of 2015 to finish TPP - also the Pachinko buissness migth also be a reason for PT cancelation, I mean why invest on an IP that hasn't been sucessful for a long time when you can drop that money gambling machines that is a garanteed success because of old people.
This is the moment were Kojima is officially done with Konami.
So he decides to fuck with Konami by not finishing TPP, and waste their money in pointless shit. I would even go as far as to say he cutted some content from TPP - for example Camp Omega was confirmed by the MGS5 team and Kojima to show in TPP and even some trailer footage and images pointed to this, however camp omega as we all know wasn't present in the final game. Why do I think this, well for starters Konami's descontent with Kojima only became apparent near TPP release and second Phantom Pain is a pain you feel for something you lost but was once there - and we the players did lost something that was once there and was promised to us and Kojima just fucking loves these types of meta narratives.
So near release Konami find out his just trolling them, so they fire his ass and remove his name (however thinking 2 steps ahead master troll Kojimbo slaps his names in every mission in the game).
Of course this proves to be Konami dumbest decision since forcing the guy make MGS4. Since with the lack of information surrounding the debacle, plus PT's cancellation and the fact that who MGS audience loves is Kojima, the only ones who take the heat is solely Konami.

tl;dr: Konami forces Kojimbo make shit he was already tired off, for 10 more years. Then cancels the projects he genuinely wanted to make to force him to finish MGS 5. Dude gets fed up and tells them to go fuck themselves, and in the end Konami gets the bad press.

This might be for Kojima what The Village was for Shyamalan. He'll probably keep getting work but his reputation in the general gamerdom will go from master to meme. What I'm saying is at some point Kojima's own Last Airbender is inevitable. (Inb4 he makes a game based on that actual movie).

That moment already happened for Kojima. It's called Metal Gear Solid 4.
But to be fair not even the most godlike writer could save MGS4 from being a mess since it's the continuation of MGS2. A game that was designed to have no direct sequel, and that Kojima refused to continue.
Super Bunnyhop said it best. MGS4 is a monument to fan service because that was the only way that fans could enjoy eating what is essentially a duct-taped cake from MGS2 crumbs and leftovers.

MGS4 is better than 1-3 because it's the same thing but with much better camera and controls.

4 is the worst game in the series. It's maybe the only game that Kojima truly didn't want to make. And as such MGS is nothing but fanservice.
The campgain is a major decline from 3's excellent levels. And also the gameplay isn't as detailed, fun and liberating as 3.
Hell, even the story is the worst one he made since it's the most melodramatic one and has none of the camp the other games had.
The controls and camera in 1 and 2 are in no way bad, because they were designed as top down games. And in 3, while yes they are weird and seem unintuitive (even in subsistence), once you master them you can pull amazing stunts that no other game allows you:

Not to mention that marketing campaign can be considered as fraud

MGS2 is guilty of that, but with DS the gameplay he showed does represent the final product.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
4 is the worst game in the series. It's maybe the only game that Kojima truly didn't want to make. And as such MGS is nothing but fanservice.
The campgain is a major decline from 3's excellent levels. And also the gameplay isn't as detailed, fun and liberating as 3.
Hell, even the story is the worst one he made since it's the most melodramatic one and has none of the camp the other games had.
The controls and camera in 1 and 2 are in no way bad, because they were designed as top down games. And in 3, while yes they are weird and seem unintuitive (even in subsistence), once you master them you can pull amazing stunts that no other game allows you:
Nope, 4 is exactly like 1-2-3 but with smooth controls and good camera for the first time in the series. The camera in 1 (and 2) is too zoomed in for a top down game. The camera in 3 was still designated with the PS1 era in mind and that was just unacceptable for a 3D game released in 2004, especially considering Hitman and Splinter Cell were already established franchises. The camera was so bad that the re-release of the game added a new camera system. Another nice thing about MGS4 is the smart camouflage, instead of having to pause the game all the time to change camouflage you just need to lay down Snake a bit. Far less bureaucratic and boring.

Edit: the controls are far less bureaucratic in MGS4 too. To aim and shoot in MGS3 you have to hold a button to enter first person mode, another button to point the gun and finally a third button to shoot! So much work for a simple action.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom