Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You don't need to fix ALL problems with it - you just have to make it better, which it does. This does fix unwinnable throw and cheese goat comps. Yea you can still have suboptimal tanks like zarya/roadhog but it is still better then 4 dps. This isn't knee-jerk patch. Pro /serious comp players have been asking for this since release. The fuck are you on about.

Also can we stop with the myth that OWL strats only work in OWL? That is plain bullshit propagated by people that don't play comp or play below diamond or something. Every single meta like dive, beyblade, bunker, and goats has been the go to comp to switch when losing a game for easy win. Literally every gm game - lose one round, switch to goats, profit. Yea to utilise those comps to full advantage - you need a pro team, but you can yield benefits from it even with a bunch of randos qing in between faps.

Goats works cause it's easy, same with most tank heavy comps. Yeah when fizzled people in comp switch to whatever meta pros play, except it fails most of the time said meta requires actual mechanics or coordination. It's the same in every team game with an actual pro scene.

Forcing 2-2-2 because of goats (outside owl) is simply retarded. And in owl it should be only temporary until they find a way to fix it. (I didn't use retarded as a hyperbole, that's how it gets when devs are lazy and too dumb to think ahead on the consequences of their actions ).

No one thinks it's retarded outside of larpers here.

Comp is plagued by people ending up on roles they can't or don't want to play. Comp is more fun for everyone 2-2-2 (goats caused massive drop in playerbase). Comp is easier to balance with less combinations that will yield a more balance game. Now which part is retarded? People keep saying it (only here), but I've yet to hear a single argument put forth that holds water. Repeating something is retarded is brain numbing.

Freedom is that it? The freedom to have shit and unfun comps? Yea...

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Comp is easier to balance with less combinations that will yield a more balance game.
Yes, it's easier to balance. So is restricting to 6 heroes, MUCH easier to balance.

Comp will be more fun for a short honeymoon period. Then back to usual. Instead of complaining about the mercy main who plays soldier you'll complain about the zarya main that doesn't want to switch or that THE FUCKING MM gave you two doomfist mains.
Also, with 6 people free to chose whatever, it is a lot easier to adjust the comp if they are willing. Now, if you could realy use an ana and your healers can't aim, sucks to be you. Even worse with dps that are countered. The difference between different heroes for dps is most of the time really big.
And if you think people are toxic now... just wait til you get pro dps players, that spent 30 mins in queue and you don't "comply" with their gameplan.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Under the new system, having shitty teammates will make you lose!!
images

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Comp is easier to balance with less combinations that will yield a more balance game.
Yes, it's easier to balance. So is restricting to 6 heroes, MUCH easier to balance.

I mean is this supposed to be a gotcha? Because yea I agree and the game would be 100x better if it had less heroes. Literally every addition including Ana made the game worse for one reason or another. I loved the minimalistic approach to characters in tfc and minimalistic approach to variety of guns in quake. Having solid, balanced, fun foundation beats the 1000 ways to get cancer approach any time.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Comp will be more fun for a short honeymoon period. Then back to usual. Instead of complaining about the mercy main who plays soldier you'll complain about the zarya main that doesn't want to switch or that THE FUCKING MM gave you two doomfist mains.
Also, with 6 people free to chose whatever, it is a lot easier to adjust the comp if they are willing. Now, if you could realy use an ana and your healers can't aim, sucks to be you. Even worse with dps that are countered. The difference between different heroes for dps is most of the time really big.
And if you think people are toxic now... just wait til you get pro dps players, that spent 30 mins in queue and you don't "comply" with their gameplan.

First point has already been addressed. A solution doesn't have to make the game perfect to be justifiable. It merely needs to be better than alternative.

Vast majority of players prefer or main a role. Majority of adjustments came from the fact that people would realize that person X can't actually play Y for shit or to fix a bad comp when a sure loss became obvious. All of these are helped by role q.

You are saying "The difference between different heroes for dps is most of the time really big." as if it is an argument in your favor. No this is exactly why role q is better. Now instead of having to learn all the different heroes that are so different, you only need to learn the heroes within a chosen role. I can competently play every single dps and support hero except genji but put me on main tank and I'll feed like a bronze.

I literally can't make sense of your toxicity point.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I reckon that with 2/2/2 Blizzard will no longer have to worry about a broken team comp that has 3+ shield tanks for example, so they can add however many more shield tank heroes since a team can only have two of them at any given time. The same principle applies to DPS and support heroes.

abija

Prophet
Under the new system, having shitty teammates will make you lose!!
images
Exactly like old system that needs so much change...

I reckon that with 2/2/2 Blizzard will no longer have to worry about a broken team comp that has 3+ shield tanks for example, so they can add however many more shield tank heroes since a team can only have two of them at any given time. The same principle applies to DPS and support heroes.

Sure, but why do people think that's a good thing? Making things easier for the devs doesn't mean it's better for the game. And these kind of restrictions are a hell of a slippery slope. Ability to stack heroes/roles keeps designers in check. They removed both now to "balance easier". What's next step? Rein/orissa + 1 other tank / 1 projectile based or melee dps / 1 hitscan / mercy / 1 other healer ?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

Sure, but why do people think that's a good thing? Making things easier for the devs doesn't mean it's better for the game. And these kind of restrictions are a hell of a slippery slope. Ability to stack heroes/roles keeps designers in check. They removed both now to "balance easier". What's next step? Rein/orissa + 1 other tank / 1 projectile based or melee dps / 1 hitscan / mercy / 1 other healer ?

If it means better balance outcome, by definition it is better for the game. Put more technically it isn't easier - it makes balance actually possible. Let me make a case for it.

First this is the ONLY game that has DYNAMIC role/character switching in ADDITION to plethora of characters. Other games of this nature have Pick/Ban phase with a LOCKED system which makes having multiple characters more manageable through providing you with tools to answer a comp with something that can manage it. Despite Pick phase, Dota is the only game that has more than like 10% of its characters be viable at any given meta. So technically we can safely ignore all the other games as they completely and utterly failed to balance the game with the constraints they have.

Now let's talk about why other games will probably not achieve what Dota has done. Dota has powerful items and talents in addition to Pick phase to provide additional tools to deal with certain comps regardless of the characters you draft. Overwatch has no talents, no items, and no locked pick/ban phase. There is absolutely fucking 0 chance given all the other devs failed that balancing without those constraints is anything but utopian bullshit.

So yea putting constraints on selection is a good thing because almost all devs fail even WITH them.

You are stubbornly refusing to address a very simple example by Seboist. A type of ability (say shield) can be balanced with constraint of two tanks and completely batshit broken with 3x+. Same goes for healing abilities, tank hp, etc etc. This is so fucking obvious. I,e with role lock, you can make each role more powerful without worrying about insane comps.

Why it is a good thing is banaly obvious. Why is it a BAD thing tho?

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
That example from seboist is great indeed. Because the obvious solution is not having so many shield abilities in the game. Meanwhile they'll keep spewing shit uninspired heroes and adjust where it's easier for them.

And your starting argument is absurd. Hero lock makes balancing infinitely harder and dota needs the items and talents and ban/pick because of it.
Switching comp on the fly is the easier route to balance. But when the only solution to a comp is mirror, dev team has FAILED.

Time will show who's right, my bet is in a month or so after 2-2-2 being enforced we'll already have some "worst meta ever" decided for comp, anyone not sticking to it will be the absolute worst and toxicity back to similar levels.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I'm pissed, this should have been a cheapish expansion at best, not a fucking new game. The worst is the shills defending this bs, acting like all of this was impossible to fit into overwatch 1.

I always found the archive events meh, I'd do them once and get bored, if I wanted to play a 4 player coop or last stand mode I got plenty of better alternatives, so making that the main focus of overwatch 2 leaves me cold. The levelling system doesn't exactly do much for me either.

Also a bit late to the topic but re 2-2-2. It has significantly killed the enjoyment of comp overwaif for me. I was a solid platinum for all seasons but have completely lost interest in comp now. Reading some of what other people said, I find their arguments simply don't apply to me. I'm NOT a "support" or "tank" main, I main heroes from each of these classes, ex: I love to mercy but am equally as proficient with winston and though I tend to avoid carries I actually do like playing as pharah if situation allows for it. I was always open to switching and even sometimes playing roles I'm only ok with for a short amount of time to solve a particular problem we are having, but that's simply not possible now.

Wtf do I do with forced 2-2-2? If I say tank, then 99% of the time I'm forced to go Rein and I find him boring, I gravitate more towards dive tanks then shield tanks but it's always the role that's left to me. If I say support then fine it's a comfortable enough role as can do all except zen, but then I can't switch with another team mate if they are struggling because of this retarded forced 2-2-2 rules.
Now if someone is struggling in a position, your team is just fucked, you can't shift your lineup at all.

I can understand the hard to balance argument at least.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom