Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The only big red flags for me revolve around the simplification of all character attributes into Attack and Defence.

Itemization and character building take one in the ass, when you remove variables such as different types of resistances. That legendary ring, for example, simply had a + Attack, + Defence and a legendary power. Where's the variability? What's a 'good roll' for that ring look like?

Maybe that's the stuff they're saving for the last part of the development cycle, to be fair. All of it is subject to change. Hopefully, they bring in elemental/damage type resistances, as well as layered defences (armour/energy shield/health/whatever) The art style, combat flow and atmosphere I'm 100% on board for. The cinematic was probably the best Blizz cinematic since Starcraft: Brood War.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reading the interviews the game looks to be so far away from launch that I wouldn't be surprised if we got Path of Exile 2 or some other "Diablo IV killer" before the game comes out.

It's not 2012 anymore, they have some actual competition now.

PoE Con is near too and they'll be showing a huge exp 3.9 and game changing 4.0.

Even now, without any patches/exp.packs I'm pretty positive D4 wont come any near to PoE or GDs build jungle.

Perkel

Arcane
This is wrong. It's a "talent tree". I can almost guarantee that they just moved the "skill customization" from Diablo 3 to its own tab. At best you're looking at a WoW-esque talent tree.

The skills tab is just the same old Diablo 3 categories but with point allocation.

Check your eyes this is a tree. For one you have a choice what to pick and what not to pick, each stage of tree has multiple skills.
D3 didn't have tree because every skill you got by leveling and there was nothing to spend any points on.

The environments are cramped, the camera is too close, the gameplay is virtually identical to D3. Could have been sold as a "retro reskin" if I'm being honest.

So like D2 ? Great. Actual combat in D3 was best thing about that game. It is all of the stuff around that that was shit and made everything whole shit.

But now I have Path of Exile. And it seems really weird to go back to pre-WoW art style while also dumbing down everything.... doesn't look like something people would cosplay, nor something mechanically enjoyable, so who is this for?

?? D2 style is better than that WOW crap from D3. Secondly they are increasing amount of mechanics no decreasing. Runewords for example from their words seems to be their answer for poe gem system where you will have runewords with triggers effects etc. They also completely revise affixes for magic, rares and legendaries to enable more builds.

If what they are saying is true (and this could change) this is incline over D3, a huge one. Most of people agree that D3 moment to moment gameplay was actually great but it was shit around that, that was bad and made whole game shit. If they can introduce great deal of interesting mechanics to play with then they will have contender to ARPG crown.

I also love that they didn't go ZOOM ZOOM. Part of reason why i got bored with POE is that they completely went ZOOM ZOOM and any build that doesn't kill screens is just painful to play with as whole game is tuned more or less toward those kind of builds.

Reading the interviews the game looks to be so far away from launch that I wouldn't be surprised if we got Path of Exile 2 or some other "Diablo IV killer" before the game comes out.

4.0 which is their response to Diablo 4 which is in production for years already will be unveiled in about 13 days on their own exile con along 3.9 expansion. They plan to release 4.0 by the end of next year and this is something they have been working on for years.

Over past 2 years we got hints they will be reworking graphics, like they killed specular reflections on equipment and didn't bother to fix it. All classes don't say anything after act 5 which suggest that either those characters will be going away and new set of exiles will take over or that they will be going away with classes alltogether which would be imho great change.

Aside from that we don't know much about it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Some things that looks good

• The artstyle fits more diablo than d3
  • No Jay Wilson
  • Barbarians and sorcerers had different eqquip slots and it makes sense
  • The gameplay looks fluid
  • Two lv 30 druids will no longer be clones like on d3, the game have the bare minimum character progression

Some things that looks bad
  • Cooldowns, come on, have a system like Path of Exile vaal skills, make the caster take a CON damage to conjure hellfire or something similar. Do not use cooldowns, they are extremely boring.
  • The skill tees is too dumbed down, almost like skyrim "skill trees".
  • The itemization attack/defense/health is too simplistic. But maybe they will add better items late
  • Too much post mmo mindset, not only on cooldowns, but talking about "level cap content", i hate when everyone is at lv cap. It makes no dan sense. Leveling loses his meaning with it. On Diablo 2 is rare to see someone at lv 95+.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Now that this thread reminds me.... is Diablo III worth as a complete time waster bought at the lowest price possible? I mean, merely as something akin to Titan Quest (shut your brain and see stuff die) and the like, or it's actively broken and unfun?

I enjoyed greatly Diablo 1 and 2 for what they were, even if I never "got" the grinding (still prefer Diablo 1, though).

Only if you have friends to grind rifts with.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Wasn't the development of D4 rebooted in a panic as a reaction to the backlash against Immortal?

This is so early in development that it's almost a glorified mission statement. This isn't even a vertical slice.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
EIUDNsJXsAE32eL

:love:

* cosplay countdown 10, 9 , ..........*

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
This looks like a glorified D3 mod. I like the tone, and the cinematics are still best-in-class, but I'm not seeing much else; I would presume that GGG (the Path of Exile devs) are probably having a field day right now.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With regards to zones having specific levels or how difficulty is handled: Scaling is an important feature to the team to allow exploration and players of varying levels to play with one another. The world zones will scale to the level of the party leader. But while scaling is important to have monsters increase in power with you, feeling the power level increase of getting awesome new items is equally important. The team is very aware of the fine balance between difficulty scaling and the player reward from finding new items.
scaling is important to have monsters increase in power with you
But why? Why do we need monsters to change in power with the player? :negative: I liked Grim Dawn but didn't finish that because of level scaling, it completely kills any sense of progression or challenge.

There will be a Hardcode mode
Yay.
no plans for an offline only mode
Oh. No playable hardcore mode then.

So there goes any hope it could be good even if they don't fuck up the character system this time. There's still that Diablo 2 mod for Grim Dawn, I guess.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Check your eyes this is a tree. For one you have a choice what to pick and what not to pick, each stage of tree has multiple skills.
D3 didn't have tree because every skill you got by leveling and there was nothing to spend any points on.
In what world is this a "tree"? You just pick one of each category to level.

1.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what's up with this "not Judeo-Christian enough" thing, but there is an inverted pentagram on the cultist's chest in the cinematic. Would've been better if the three sacrifices were indeed willing and we knew why.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wasn't the development of D4 rebooted in a panic as a reaction to the backlash against Immortal?

This is so early in development that it's almost a glorified mission statement. This isn't even a vertical slice.

Yep, it really looks like they shat their pants last fall and spent the past year producing a trailer and cobbling together a pre-alpha demo from the old D3 engine.

But of course fans are lapping it up because modern Western "men" are

12396266-6932693-Eric_Butts_posted_the_video_of_him_watching_the_Episode_IX_tease-m-3_1555526192430.jpg

Swigen

Arbiter
I just can not wait to press half the buttons on my controller and then the other half while I wait for the cooldown, on my new Google Stadia!

Sykar

Arcane
The only big red flags for me revolve around the simplification of all character attributes into Attack and Defence.

Itemization and character building take one in the ass, when you remove variables such as different types of resistances. That legendary ring, for example, simply had a + Attack, + Defence and a legendary power. Where's the variability? What's a 'good roll' for that ring look like?

Maybe that's the stuff they're saving for the last part of the development cycle, to be fair. All of it is subject to change. Hopefully, they bring in elemental/damage type resistances, as well as layered defences (armour/energy shield/health/whatever) The art style, combat flow and atmosphere I'm 100% on board for. The cinematic was probably the best Blizz cinematic since Starcraft: Brood War.

If it stays like this then I won't even give D4 a second look on a summer sale. /spit #BlizzardComeCrashingDownAndBurning

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom