Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Deleted Member 16721

In the Gita, Vishnu advises Arjuna to slay his enemies without regret, if that is his calling. Morale of the story? There is no right or wrong. Even you, supposedly in tune with divine, universal love, are not able to love or even understand our hate for TOW. The love you perceive is yet another illusion of the mind.

I agree there is no right view or wrong view. You guys love being negative like I love being positive. To each their own. :)

Deleted Member 16721

I do admit to getting annoyed and triggered by the "everything is shit" Codex mantra. You guys are free to criticize things to death but I choose to enjoy them for what they are. Doesn't mean they are perfect games but I'd rather spend my time having fun than criticizing everything.

That said, let's keep the thread about the game and not another about Fluent divergence. I am playing and enjoying it so far. The combat is pretty fun especially when you have a decent weapon.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I do admit to getting annoyed and triggered by the "everything is shit" Codex mantra. You guys are free to criticize things to death but I choose to enjoy them for what they are. Doesn't mean they are perfect games but I'd rather spend my time having fun than criticizing everything.
Then why you getting triggered by other opinions on games? I dunno, sounds like you trying to convince yourself to play and like the game by surrounding yourself with positive comments about the game and you feel annoyed when people critic towards game, because deep down you know that at least partially criticism is truth.

Deleted Member 16721

Then why you getting triggered by other opinions on games? I dunno, sounds like you trying to convince yourself to play and like the game by surrounding yourself with positive comments about the game and you feel annoyed when people critic towards game, because deep down you know that at least partially criticism is truth.

No, I get triggered by the mindset that generally on the Codex "everything is shit". It's tiring and makes me question why I even come here. It's rare to see positive comments about any game anymore, while the posts "explaining" why everything sucks rack up the brofists. It's just tiring.

agris

Arcane
Patron
[...]I do have a childlike mind that still gets excited for new games [...] It's not hard to do [...] through not paying attention to your thoughts [...] Gaming becomes a lot more fun when you're not using your mind [...]

Rpgcodex review right there

Hot Coldman

Educated

No, I get triggered by the mindset that generally on the Codex "everything is shit". It's tiring and makes me question why I even come here. It's rare to see positive comments about any game anymore, while the posts "explaining" why everything sucks rack up the brofists. It's just tiring.

Everything is not shit. AAA RPGs are 90% shit.

Deleted Member 16721

So Supernova must be a joy to play, I see how you have to command your companions to use cover in certain areas to keep them from being killed. I could see a Supernova playthrough being very rewarding.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Supernova is shit. I played it to level 16 and it wasn't worth the headache babysitting companions brings. If you're doing Supernova you have to do it solo. But have fun with the HP bloat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was much better.

Systems: Still appear to be disappointing to most
Core gameplay: "Better, but also much easier" appeared to be the consensus here though the latter was addressed by a patch (though I'm not sure how much).
Writing: Still appears to be disappointing to most

When did that happen? The White March?

The White March part 2 and The Forgotten Sanctum are the DLCs to play for the writing.

Now that we saw what the game entails; either Leonard is that naive or he was powerless to influence the writers working under him or he's changed since VTMB. Pick one.

? Since it doesn't go Full Communism Now or even allow you to attempt to Build it, it appears as though Boyarsky and Starks were able to keep the others in line.

Hot Coldman

Educated
So Supernova must be a joy to play, I see how you have to command your companions to use cover in certain areas to keep them from being killed. I could see a Supernova playthrough being very rewarding.

I don't get it. First Diablo IV is on cRPG Discussion even though it's a hack'n'slash and now there's comments on how
gunning down thousands of super mutants bandits on Very Hard Mode is very rewarding. As if this was suddenly
Reddit and not RPGCodex.

Deleted Member 22431

I am not sure I can completely fault Tim and Leonard since there was also the incident with the artist making a stink on twitter about Leonard and most of the devs at Obsidian supporting her an artist instead of the director.
CITATION NEEDED

Deleted Member 22431

You think we are trying to find flaws in most games we play?

Maybe not consciously, but that's the work of the mind. The mind creates thoughts that are negative to sully your enjoyment of things. If you quiet that aspect of yourself and let your heart speak, you see that it's all love. Get back to acting like you did as a kid when you got a new video game for Christmas. Most of the time you always enjoyed it and didn't pick it apart consciously or subconsciously. I can still remember some of my first RPGs that I felt were perfection in every sense of the word. That's the type of approach you should have for new things.

I don't know why Codexers lost that. Your minds are too strong.
YOU POOR RETARDED.

I gotta say it. They need Josh involved in a sequel or DLCs.
What they need is to fire themselves, hire people with talent and change the name of the studio.

Codex Year of the Donut
I am not sure I can completely fault Tim and Leonard since there was also the incident with the artist making a stink on twitter about Leonard and most of the devs at Obsidian supporting her an artist instead of the director.
If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame. But if his orders are clear, and the soldiers nevertheless disobey, then it is the fault of their officers.

Now that we saw what the game entails; either Leonard is that naive or he was powerless to influence the writers working under him or he's changed since VTMB. Pick one.
I lean towards the Valley Girl Squad overpowered him. This is similar to what is happening to Kotaku these days. A bunch of Ameri-millennials "rebelling" against their superior because they don't like to be told what to do. They think they are being heroes fighting for inclusivity etc etc. Whereas their inherent shittyness ultimately hurt the game immensely. Only in the case of Kotaku and spinner media the offending parties were either fired or had to walk out. Doesn't seem to be the case for Obsidian.

Quillon

Arcane
? Since it doesn't go Full Communism Now or even allow you to attempt to Build it, it appears as though Boyarsky and Starks were able to keep the others in line.

They haven't done a good enough job then, in this game even I noticed lots of agenda driven content throughout the game that I usually wouldn't mind/roll my eyes at the sight of when done sparingly, but the shit they put in this game was consistently there throughout.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They haven't done a good enough job then, in this game even I noticed lots of agenda driven content throughout the game that I usually wouldn't mind/roll my eyes at the sight of when done sparingly, but the shit they put in this game was consistently there throughout.

As a corporate lib, Boyarsky likely agrees with that agenda.
1*3PJT_-QDyFwzHtugzd7A_A.png

Atchodas

Augur
The White March part 2 and The Forgotten Sanctum are the DLCs to play for the writing.
Its funny that further away they get from main plot better their product becomes.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
When did that happen? The White March?

White March part 1 is better in almost every possible way with the exception of exotic locations. The writing in part 2 goes off the deep end again and it's especially jarring when it switches genres on you in some sections.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom