Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

- Cooldowns - Cooldowns are the awfulest way to balance a powerfull skill.

How else ?
Generally speaking, the other option is to not have any powerful skills or have no balance at all so you just spam one skill endlessly.

The other option is you balance it around just the meter and attack animations. Dragon's Dogma uses a universal stamina meter for everything beside your normal attacks and it's so much better than having special attacks tied to cool downs timers. If they wanted to do it the same way in Diablo, they could drop the cool downs, and just use the character's second class specific meter.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
runes, sorc, druid, barb with skills upgraded from d2, pvp , duriel... they are nostalgia fishing hard here

as for the '' gameplay is not nearly finished '' people i guess you are in for a surprise i doubt we'd had this much access to gameplay if this was a 2022 release

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Can we still only have 5 active skills at a time like Diablo 3? Or can I go back to mapping my entire keyboard like every other arpg out there.

D4 Art-style and tone seems incline.
Just like PoE? Or Grim Dawn where the combat isn't fluid enough to support more than a couple of active attack skills per build? No, really, what are these ARPGs you are talking about?

The skills you have available in Diablo are fewer than the skills you can bind in Poe...

Btw they just announced Overwatch 2 as well... It looks as if they are trying to raise their stocks, sell them and run away.

so? in poe most builds you spam 1 skill late game and the tree is full of passives

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't get why they show this gameplay, it looks shockingly unfinished for Blizzard. Diablo 4's release is still at least two years away.
Diablo 3 was revealed back in 2008, and was released in 2012. Starcraft 2 was revealed in 2007 and released at 2010. Even Overwatch has a two year gap between the first reveal and the release.

It's not really something new. They've been doing that for years.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
EIT-UhuWkAEsTQU

user

Savant
Can we still only have 5 active skills at a time like Diablo 3? Or can I go back to mapping my entire keyboard like every other arpg out there.

D4 Art-style and tone seems incline.
Just like PoE? Or Grim Dawn where the combat isn't fluid enough to support more than a couple of active attack skills per build? No, really, what are these ARPGs you are talking about?

The skills you have available in Diablo are fewer than the skills you can bind in Poe...

Btw they just announced Overwatch 2 as well... It looks as if they are trying to raise their stocks, sell them and run away.

so? in poe most builds you spam 1 skill late game and the tree is full of passives

Yes most builds have 1 or 2 (ST,AOE) main skills, but there are countless secondary skills like movement, utility skills, banners, cries, debuffs etc that support your main skills. Also don't forget about the combinations you can do to modify these main skills with the support skill gems. Yes, the talent tree is full of passives but it's full of notables that can change your build in significant ways. The value lies not at playing the piano with your keyboard, but at customizing every detail in your build and trying out new ones or different variations - that's where the largest part of the replayability comes from.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
- Cooldowns - Cooldowns are the awfulest way to balance a powerfull skill.

How else ?
Generally speaking, the other option is to not have any powerful skills or have no balance at all so you just spam one skill endlessly.

The other option is you balance it around just the meter and attack animations. Dragon's Dogma uses a universal stamina meter for everything beside your normal attacks and it's so much better than having special attacks tied to cool downs timers. If they wanted to do it the same way in Diablo, they could drop the cool downs, and just use the character's second class specific meter.
Balancing around mana cost doesn't work when you have infinite fucking mana, which has been the case in every diablo so far and dragon's dogma. And if the animation is twice as long because it does twice the damage, all you've done is create an inferior skill nobody should ever use. To say nothing of things like buff spells, transformations and so forth. You can't balance a skill that makes you temporarily invincible with anything except a cooldown.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The fuck are u talking about? the gameplay looks fine to me, and unfinished? why? how?

Looks quite playable from the demo, so wtf are u even on about really.

This will probably release 2020 mid

aris

Arcane
runes, sorc, druid, barb with skills upgraded from d2, pvp , duriel... they are nostalgia fishing hard here

as for the '' gameplay is not nearly finished '' people i guess you are in for a surprise i doubt we'd had this much access to gameplay if this was a 2022 release
D3 comes out, "waaaah this isnt exactly like diablo 2"
D4 is announced and looks a lot like diablo 2 with improvements "waaah, this is exactly like diablo 2".

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How does "system like Path of Exile vaal skills" work?

Vaal skills require you to kill enemies to "recharge", for eg, Vaal summon skeleton require that you kill and collect souls of many enemies to summon a skeleton army. Raise skeleton creates less skeletons but can be used at will

aris

Arcane
Artstyle is incline.
Gameplay is decline.

/thread
Gameplay as in systems, I definitely disagree. It looks like a big incline with respect to D3, which in the end revolved arounds sets only. D4 seems a lot more interesting with respect to gameplay mechanics. But the combat definitely looks a little bit "off" with respect to the amazing fluidity of animations in D3. Say what you will about D3, but the animations together with the sound designed that went along with them were objectively top notch, perfected to a polish shine, and the likes has never been seen before or after, or possibly ever again.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
DIABLO IV AND ONGOING COMMUNICATION

Nevalistis

109 posts
Community Manager
19h
Hey all,

We’re very excited to reveal one of our most eagerly anticipated projects and have you all take a closer look at what’s next for Diablo.

This comes with a caveat; we’re still a way out from launch. Because we’re heads down in development, we’re not launching a dedicated forum for Diablo IV yet.

However, we still want you to feel welcome to discuss the game amongst yourselves. While we may not be able to answer all your burning questions, we are committed to sharing updates with the community and participating when we can.

Beginning next year, we will be providing quarterly updates regarding the progress of Diablo IV’s development. This might take the form of a blog or a developer post here, which we’ll sticky and leave open for ongoing discussion until the next update is available.

We’ll also keep an updated table of contents of all updates in this post so you’ll have a convenient place to refer to them over the course of development. We’ve included all the news coming out of this weekend so far to get you started.

Thanks for patiently awaiting this next chapter, and we’ll see you in Hell!
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-iv-and-ongoing-communication/5257

TL;DR
Beginning next year, we will be providing quarterly updates regarding the progress of Diablo IV’s development.

RegionalHobo

Scholar

D3 comes out, "waaaah this isnt exactly like diablo 2"
D4 is announced and looks a lot like diablo 2 with improvements "waaah, this is exactly like diablo 2".

the part that matters '' being like diablo 2 '' is good itemization, loot mechanics and perhaps pvp. i could care less for 1:1 skills or duriel besides '' eh that s cool i guess '' . as for runes the runewords work in such a different way from what we've seen so far that s pretty much a different mechanics.

it s hard to judge the game because it s way too early thou, but at the very least it gives me a better impression than d3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom