Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hopefully them playing it safe to deliver a polished game will pay off with post-launch support. They certainly don't have to spend massive resources for 12 months just fixing the game, unlike KCD/Pillars etc.

Zer0wing there is an answer, you should start finding breadcrumbs once you leave Monarch.

Xeon

Augur
At the end I still had 2 or 3 planets still locked, wonder if they are for DLCs. I would rather they move on to another project tho and hopefully make a better game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not sure where should they go with patches. They're obviously not going to change the writing, gameplay is already solid, and simply adding more content won't fix the problems with the game.

Wesp5

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not sure where should they go with patches.

They could reduce the loot you find so itemization is not so messed up anymore! And they could remove XP gain from dialogue feats, hacking, lockpicking and killing to slow your progress...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A few hours in and I've hit a bug. I have no option of open the doors in the Geothermal Plant, even while having the passcode. I assumed initially that this was just more of the game trying to railroad me into backing the deserters, but seemingly not.

I don't remember it vividly, but I'm pretty sure you don't walk through the front gate even with the password. There's another way in.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Finished it. God what a shit game.
Playthrough number 2 commencing shortly.

Is this shit even ironic anymore? You gonna play it 7 times you fucking tit? "How shit." He said, furiously, pressing "New Game" with a cold resolve. "Now I will experience even more shit." He said in the same flat monotone, his existence slowly becoming that of a great flood. "I'll make a new character but the build system is so shit it makes no difference." He continued, pondering heavily on how he should attribute the points the game gave him. "This time I'll make a man or woman, it doesn't make a difference, that's what the social justice said." His heavy brows frowned, but they were always at the same level of tension ; he never changed his expression. "I'll make a woman even if they are so fucking ugly and shit." He ate some chips while doing this existential choice, approving internally the salt and the fat that was going through his system. "Alright time to go through this stupid shit again." The starting cinematic went on. And so life went on. But this man, this man did not go on. He was there, now, and forevermore.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Excerpt from my ending slides: "Reed Tobson eventually tried to mend tensions with Adelaide, unfortunately she passed away peacefully in her greenhouse, before the fued could be put to rest. In memory, Reed had her corpse buried underneath Saltuna Cannery - just as she would have wanted" - LOL.

Quillon

Arcane
she passed away peacefully in her greenhouse

How did she manage to pass away peacefully? Isn't she alone with no power/at the mercy of marauders? In my ending Reed died in a week outside the walls ffs. Such a weak white male, damn :D

Quillon

Arcane
Btw. the most immersion breaking/unbelievable thing in this setting for me, and this was a question mark in my head before the game released is that everyone recites company slogans, but for whom? As far as I can see there are no neutral people outside of Byzantium & Groundbreaker and if everyone is an indentured worker of some company in worker settlements and don't/prohibited to? use other company's products who are you advertising your company's shit to in a fucking conversation? Why is this a practice? And first town we go to there is only Spacer's Choice and its people, why recite your own slogans to your own god damn fellow workers?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
How did she manage to pass away peacefully?

giphy.gif

Jezal_k23

They could have said she killed herself in her garden. That would've been hardcore.

Vorark

Erudite
Been playing the game, currently at Monarch.

The initial areas are a total bore: Edgewater and Groundbreaker or w/e it's named. Rush them 'cause nothing of value will be lost. Things only pick up midway in Monarch.

The only enjoyable companions so far are Ellie and Nyoka (dangerhair notwithstanding): good interjections, no bellyaching and hold their own on a fight... which is good 'cause I'm terrible at shooters. SAM would've been alright but the cleaning shtick gets old quick. Parvati and Felix are annoying as heck, will probably boot them out of the ship hatch soon. I think I missed one squadmate in Edgewater but can't be arsed to look it up.

Faction interplay has been inexistent, at the moment it's akin to Fallout 1/2 and Tyranny than New Vegas: you gain reputation in one area or with a group and that's it, remains static. Maybe it'll improve later, I think I'm nearing the end of the Monarch missions and the MSI questline has potential for future developments with other factions. Let's see if it'll pay off.

The flaw system could've had added a much necessary flair to character building yet it seems to only offer you one measly perk point. Wouldn't be an issue if, you know, the perks weren't downright useless. Oh yes, +5 armor rating for a debuff, what a fantastic trade off.

The Outer Worlds reminds me more of the original Mass Effect than New Vegas: the skyboxes (look great), endless trash loot you turn into omnigel break down into components, interiors look similar, the brown/gray color palette, the way companions interact, stiff animations.

All that being said, I'm keeping in mind it's a game funded by Obsidian's own resources. No wonder they kept telling people not to hype it, it probably had a somewhat humble budget and it shows. The mistake here is to expect a Fallout New Vegas -- NV was both the apex and the ultimate offering of the old guard Obsidian.

They need to reign in their writing team, though. Personal bias keeps speeping in and the attempts at "humour" are annoying as heck.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Btw. the most immersion breaking/unbelievable thing in this setting for me, and this was a question mark in my head before the game released is that everyone recites company slogans, but for whom? As far as I can see there are no neutral people outside of Byzantium & Groundbreaker and if everyone is an indentured worker of some company in worker settlements and don't/prohibited to? use other company's products who are you advertising your company's shit to in a fucking conversation? Why is this a practice? And first town we go to there is only Spacer's Choice and its people, why recite your own slogans to your own god damn fellow workers?

Also they seem to only be selling within their own towns, since multiple characters mention it's illegal to buy/use other corporations products. The first guy tells you he's not even allowed to be healed by someone from another corp. Though they do have vending machines from other corps in every town, and of course the setting makes zero fucking sense if they can't intermingle to some degree. It's almost like the whole thing isn't very well thought out.

It really should have been tutorial area into big open Monarch where all the corps are competing to take over and there's more faction interaction and competition.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It’s not advertising, it’s propaganda.

Quillon

Arcane

So? Shouldn't there be neutrals to be swayed by it? Everyone's indentured already. All this is for there not to be uprising?

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So? Shouldn't there be neutrals to be swayed by it? Everyone's indentured already. All this is for there not be uprising?

It’s like going to Mecca and everybody says “Allahu Akbar” and “peace be upon you.” They’re not trying to convert anyone—everybody’s already a Muslim. If there were neutrals wandering around, it wouldn’t be much of a corporate controlled dystopia.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Because it's actually space USSR, not space capitalism. Rather than trying to advertise, they're reciting the party line at each other... Sometimes ironically, other times just to keep from being ratted out to the authorities.

I dunno if the writers did this on purpose (super unlikely considering who they are and which direction they lean, politically) or if they're really so dumb they don't see that their idea of "capitalism(?) (or rather, corporations) gone too far" was identical to their beloved communism all along.

The central issue is also related to famine hahaha

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

So? Shouldn't there be neutrals to be swayed by it? Everyone's indentured already. All this is for there not to be uprising?
It's not there to sway anyone.

Quillon

Arcane
So? Shouldn't there be neutrals to be swayed by it? Everyone's indentured already. All this is for there not be uprising?

It’s like going to Mecca and everybody says “Allahu Akbar” and “peace be upon you.” They’re not trying to convert anyone—everybody’s already a Muslim. If there were neutrals wandering around, it wouldn’t be much of a corporate controlled dystopia.

Using advertising slogans doesn't make sense. If you ask yourself why am I saying this there is a clear answer for religious words but there is no answer for the slogans in TOW.

they're reciting the party line at each other

But they are not only saying the party line/main slogan, there are many times they try to sell something like "if you buy 3 of this, 4th one's free" etc.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Using advertising slogans doesn't make sense. If you ask yourself why am I saying this there is a clear answer for religious words but there is no answer for the slogans in TOW.

they're reciting the party line at each other

But they are not only saying the party line/main slogan, there are many times they try to sell something like "if you buy 3 of this, 4th one's free" etc.
Keeping the theme going would be my guess on that one.

Trashos

Arcane

Haven't played the game, but it would make sense for people living in a bubble to recite their bubble's slogans to each other. That's how they build rapport and give courage to each other and themselves, while at the same time it ensures that they stay within the bubble's mindset. That's a theme in 1984, and iirc it's a theme in Brazil too.

LizardWizard

Cipher
For people who think enemies are bullet sponges, I don’t know—maybe they’re not taking advantage of effective elements, maybe they’re putting all their points into weapon skills when those don’t really increase damage much. I’m sure if I went melee and took all the TTD perks my MC could just walk around OHKO’ing people in the head (and getting TTD back per kill). Game isn’t hard, unfortunately.

If you haven't noticed some of the most frequent posters in the this thread haven't even played the game or played past tutorial island

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
If you haven't noticed some of the most frequent posters in the this thread haven't even played the game or played past tutorial island
Am I allowed to complain about this game if I made it until halfway through Groundbreaker, or do I have to force myself to finish the rest of this snoozefest?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom