Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ZeniBot

Cipher
How do you exactly know what God does and doesn't allow to angels?
because the main justification for the angels turning on God was that he forbid them from taking Human Wives. The angels who took human wives created the Canaanites.
Enoch 7:2 "And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children."

jf8350143

Liturgist
because the main justification for the angels turning on God was that he forbid them from taking Human Wives. The angels who took human wives created the Canaanites.
Enoch 7:2 "And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children."

What does this has anything to do with Diablo's angels?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You are completely missing the point of Lilith. She's supposed to be Clownishly Lustful. THAT'S HER WHOLE FUCKING PURPOSE. She is a literal goddess of lust. HOW ARE YOU MISSING THIS?!
Also the level of Blizztard in this thread.

Well said. Lilith not being hot makes no sense. What is the next? Blizzard will make Bul-Kathos into a androgynous manlet "sissy" teenager?

What does this has anything to do with Diablo's angels?

Yes, Diablo mythology despite inspired by christian mythology has a lot of differences. Mainly in the myth of creation of angels, humans and demons.

????? wtf pillars of eternity have to do with diablo 4 ?

He is talking about PATH OF EXILE.

hexer

OK but quoting the Bible doesn't answer how you alone can be 100% sure what God thinks.
Only he knows what's on his mind, everything else is human interpretation and belief.
The truth is only known to God.

Zerginfestor

Learned
It's really telling that the only reason the Druid is back is because one of the designers in the team made the look we see in the trailer and they went "Ya know what? YEAH! ADD HIM IN". Druid was one of the most popular races in D2 upon the expansion release,right up there with Necro-boi, and was asked, demanded, and begged for at every turn during D3. This tells me they didn't give a single fuck about people pressuring to have him back, and was ready to never bring him back in the Diablo series again, but only because one fucking snazzy outfit convinced them 'yeah, fuck it'. Not only that, but they nerfed a lot of his shit that he had back in D2, or outright removed them. No Summon Grizzly, no Spirit wolves, no Synergies between skills, only 2 dire wolves, one type of vine, and no spirits. Werebear loses out on Hunger skill, But fuck it, they compensated this for the fluid shapeshifting thing they wanted so badly. They wanted to make it look badass on how a Druid transforms back and forth so 'smoothly', but I personally dislike it.

There's less skills in D4 compared to D2, but for the sake of it being a..beta? I'll assume they're in the middle of being worked on and that at the end of 5 years, we'll see more things worked into the game.

Story wise,
D4 seems to takes place 3 years after D3 Reaper of Souls and the entire place went to shit. There's barely any real survivors after the reapers devastated the entire area, demons are running amok since they no longer have their masters to guide them, thus they're either killing each other, hiding in dens, or forming their own little groups and hunting down humans. Heaven has closed their gates, most likely out of damage from the reapers, but there's hints they're becoming hostile towards humans and want them gone, much like the prophecy of where Imperius has become the Icon of Wrath, a mockery of Valor and is going to Exterminatus Sanctuary. The pale baldboi we see in the trailer is most likely Rathma, the first gen Nephalem, the first to be born from Lilith, and the founder of Necromancy. Lore wise, the dude loves humanity and cherishes people, he cares about them above all others, and despises Inarius and Lilith, Papa and Mama, basically. Inarius because he saw humans as abominations and wanted to kill them off, and while Lilith loved her kids, she wanted to use them as weapons to crush both High Heavens and Burning Hells forever. No more conflict, no more war, just peace and quiet through total annihilation.

Long story short, she got banished and it seems Rathma is bringing her back from the void. Why? IDK, either Epiphany or desperation to stop both sides from destroying Sanctuary, she's essentially the only one that cared about humans as well as Sanctuary and wants to protect both factors.

Codex Year of the Donut
Diablo was a hardcore RPG for hardcore RPG fans and the series clearly went into steep decline afterwards
One of the things that we were trying to get with Diablo was ease of gaming. The NHL series was really good at this, where you just click and you're in the game. Before Diablo, when you created a character, you had to answer 53 questions about this that and the other; you had to name it, give it a backstory and so on. We just wanted to get in and start smashing things.

Machocruz

Arcane
Ah, the mythical super complex and laborious character creation of old. I remember it well (hint: I don't). Five years from now the ultimate form of game design will require no more than two clicks. One that jumps into gameplay proper directly from desktop, the other that jumps to the "Ur Sooper Cool and Smart. You Won!" screen.

Well that plug n play approach explains itemization and skill build rigidness at least. Not saying that I like it, but at least it's consistent across the board. Tbh I'm not a big fan of PoE's stat and item systems either, but both occupy their respective niches (more than half of PoE's "gameplay" happens outside the game, with pre-planning, using a bunch of external tools and all that). Some sort of middle-ground would be nice tbh, especially considering that's what Blizzard was known for, streamlining things a bit, but also making it more dynamic and polished. Nowadays though... well, it is what is.

D2 hit that sweet spot for me, but everything that followed after - branched out into its own thing. I guess Grim Dawn attempted to nail that balanced approach, but something always felt off (much like with TQ), whether it was the lack of momentum, uninteresting skills or just a bunch of small things that didn't quite sit with me right.

:negative:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nearly 2 hour gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZtmNAMxwMM
Verdict: Decline

1:50 - Druid
23:15 - Sorceress
44:30 - Barbarian
44:20 - David Kim appears and starts to talk

I agree with him. Druids looks much more like Celtic Druid than WoW Druid and i particularly love it. As for cooldowns, i was thinking that cooldowns would ruin any shapeshift skill/build but despite cooldowns, druid shifting skills looks amazing. Don't get me wrong, are not amazing like D2. As for elemental druids, one thing that i loved is that Druids no longer have redundant skills with sorcerer(ss), his boulder for eg, now is pure earth, I miss around the caster spells like Hurricane but since the game is not read yet, i guess that they will be in final game.

I also loved the bonus of certain items, like the lightning when he shapeshift effect. Something that can be amazing for a shifter druid but useless for a wind druid.

As for runewords, they are back. See 31:50

Barbarians now can have 4 weapons, i din't payed much attention since Barbarian was my least favorite class on D2. And sorceress is the same thing of aways.

-------------------------

My opinion? Amazing for Blizzard Irvine standards, but could be better. still not good as a RPG compared to Blizzard North Diablo 1/2. I will probably purchase but ideally i wanna see Diablo 1 or 2 remade with this graphics and no change on his mechanics.

This game is a huge incline in relation to D3 and huge decline in relation to D2.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Turns out the new devs really hate pet builds or one-button click builds, found that out in D3, but judging by the 'active' thing on the companions, it looks like they finally found a way to give them more action. Also, the targeting thing with the Dire Wolves is awesome. Hated the pet AI in D3 which was absolute trash, your pets usually hitting trash mobs, while the elites wailed on them with impunity, whereas D2, the AI was pretty damn good in targeting threats, or at least able to stomp out the threats before shit hit the fan. Looks like spirits will never return, RIP.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
So I was playing again Diabolo III with the waifu necromancer and after going through the first act I was wondering... What is exactly the point of the procedural generated levels? No matter how the change, they are composed by a couple of chunks, so there’s no actual variety of them. I think it works in detriment of the experience. I do think that handcrafted and carefully designed levels are always better that this kind of random generations. And I hope Diablo IV gets away with this thing. Sadly, it has been already mentioned that dungeons will be proceduraly generated again...

hexer

I will probably purchase but ideally i wanna see Diablo 1 or 2 remade with this graphics and no change on his mechanics.

Dave Brevik thinks a 2D to 3D transition would kill the remake.

"If you do a remaster, this is going to sound terrible, I am going to sound like an old fogey here, but kids these days don’t understand how games were made back then. They were nothing like they’re made today. Everybody would just make 3D artwork and put it on a 3D grid which works except for it doesn’t work. Because the moment that you change the fundamental way that you interact with the game and you move around the world, you’re changing the game."

https://www.shacknews.com/article/114759/where-was-diablo-2-remastered-at-blizzcon-2019

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What is exactly the point of the procedural generated levels? No matter how the change, they are composed by a couple of chunks,

On Diablo 2 it changes a lot. I lost my first hardcore character to souls with conviction auras... On D3 due the simplistic nature, nothing matters.

Dave Brevik thinks a 2D to 3D transition would kill the remake.

I disagree. In fact, not being locked to 24 frames and being 3D will allow some awful bugs to be fixed.

Eg? Casting speed on Necromancer

I don't see why D2 needs to be 2D. But if is Brevik who is saying it...

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Succubus should be the embodiment of male desires. So big tits, red/blond hair and very sexy body is expected.

Precisely. A succubus that doesn't look the part would fail rather spectacularly at temptation - and temptation is her sole raison d'etre.
I'd think a succubus would look as subjectively seductive to those who see her as possible. Big tits might impress some men, but others might find them tacky and wouldn't be beguiled. There's a tendency to falsely assume every man has the same taste in women.

Big tits and nice ass impress all men, unless they are fags or hypocritical.

Citizen

SKYRIM 2 CONFIRMED
ie90m1.png

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You ever saw a hot girl and you kinda liked it too much and knew you'd fall for her like an idiot and just get your heart hopelessly broken because things aren't what they seem, but in the end you kinda can't resist anyway so you accept your inevitable demise...

I'm hyped.

abija

Prophet
David Kim ??? Balancing the fun out of the game is pretty much guaranteed...

Mazisky

Magister
Any suggestion for similar games to play actually? I've played a lot Grim Dawn and i like it but im not sold about the apocalypse setting. Would like to see a game like that but fantasy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any suggestion for similar games to play actually? I've played a lot Grim Dawn and i like it but im not sold about the apocalypse setting. Would like to see a game like that but fantasy.

Diablo 1/Diablo 2 and his mods(Belzebub, Path of Diablo, Median, etc), DarkStone, Sacred 1/2(3 is awful)

Mazisky

Magister

Diablo 1/Diablo 2 and his mods(Belzebub, Path of Diablo, Median, etc), DarkStone, Sacred 1/2(3 is awful)

Honestly, i cannot play 800x600 res in 2019.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom