Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Hyperion

Arcane
The Kamaitachi looks incredible. I have a feeling it's gonna be this entry's version of the Raven Tengu in terms of frustration.

Suicidal

Arcane
1 thing that disappoints me about Nioh 2 is that from the looks of it the areas are still predominantly night time outdoors or dark spooky caves. How about some brightly lit daytime zones cmon.

Sentinel

Arcane
Damn that first boss is destroying my ass. I don't really like the new weapon, think I'll reset and go something else.

Sentinel

Arcane
They don't seem to have fixed any of the core "problems" of the first game. The large majority of the skills for old weapons are ported over, and they haven't changed a lot. All the moves you were spamming in Nioh 1 are the same moves you're spamming in Nioh 2. I'm not sure if I should feel disappointed or not.

Mojobeard

Augur
It's not that fun. Problems of the first game, plus every fight is against like three demons at a time. Also having a lot more trouble managing my ki for some reason? And the boss kicked my ass, I gave up, try it again later.

But character creation is pretty good, though you can't access some options (muscle slider, half the hairs are locked, etc).

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah most of the encounters are against Yokai. I guess they want you to use the Yokai abilities that would be overkill for human enemies but imo Yokai just aren't that fun to fight.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
EHHHPAK.jpg

At least the character creator is based.

Didn't get too far into it, but I chose the Switchglaive as my main weapon. I like that it scales with Magic, this was sorely needed in the original Nioh. It feels like a very potent weapon and the basic move set is pretty OK. It feels slightly clunky, but based on the skill selection that I've seen, this is intentional as you're supposed to unlock skills that let you weave in the different weapon modes mid combo. Honestly, this is an issue that most weapons had anyway. It's really hard to judge a weapon without a few unlocks at least. On a surface level it seems like the perfect sequel to Nioh that I wanted. It's Nioh but more and better everything. If you were never into Nioh then I doubt this one is going to change your mind, but if you are like me and were absolutely in love with the original game, then this one is just going to be even better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you were never into Nioh then I doubt this one is going to change your mind

I would've been into Nioh but from what I saw the BSB level design and awful enemy variety put me off. I'm autistic ofc but not enough to derive enjoyment only from bashing a dude with a funny hat trying to make him drop a slightly better katana so I can go on bashing a slightly stronger dude with the same stupid hat.
So has level design and enemy variety improved?

Sentinel

Arcane
If you were never into Nioh then I doubt this one is going to change your mind

I would've been into Nioh but from what I saw the BSB level design and awful enemy variety put me off. I'm autistic ofc but not enough to derive enjoyment only from bashing a dude with a funny hat trying to make him drop a slightly better katana so I can go on bashing a slightly stronger dude with the same stupid hat.
So has level design and enemy variety improved?
Level design seems to be about the same (it was good in the first game) with more environmental variety. Enemy variety has definitely improved but it's hard to say with just a beta. For all we know they could blow all their enemy variety load early into the game and you'll spend the remaining 50 hours fighting the same 20 monsters instead of the same 10, which would still be a problem.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i love nioh but not the DLC. maybe i need to git gut but it assume you have done NG+ and some more grinding that jumping from the campaign to the DLC map are frustrating.

Jinn

Arcane
maybe i need to git gut but it assume you have done NG+ and some more grinding that jumping from the campaign to the DLC map are frustrating.

Yeah, it's a little frustrating. Really you only need to do the first section of NG+ (the first 5-6 levels or so) to be up to par for the DLC. I tried going straight from the end of the game to the DLC and found the normal enemies manageable enough, but that first boss is absolutely brutal if you're not around level 150 with good gear. Left after a number of tries, did some NG+, then came back with much better results. I think it's worth doing.

Suicidal

Arcane
I did the DLC immediately after the main game and the main problem for me was that almost every boss had one attack that killed me instantly from 100% HP cause I didn't have enough armor/HP, which made some bosses take way longer to beat than they should have.

Apart from that, I thought the DLCs were great. Had some of the best and most intense boss fights in the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
This area is much better than the first beta's area.

The cat boss is alright I guess. I'm too tired to beat it, I'll try tomorrow.

Does anyone know specifically what you're expected to do with this new extended Yokai realm mechanic? I know it's done to add more challenge, but are you just supposed to wait it out or can you harm the boss enough for it to deactivate it?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Kinda lost interest after the first level. It was pretty fun and the boss was suitably challenging with some bullshit sprinkled in, but the second level was a pain in the neck. As soon as I saw that there were Nioh 1 DLC enemies but tuned up to the skies with unbreakable hyper armor and grab attacks that can OHKO you in heavy armor? No thanks. That's where I draw the line.

Sentinel

Arcane
Are you talking about the 4 armed guy? I just got to the snake poison cave (alpha area). I sighed when I saw that faggot early on but there's a ladder on the other side of the building that lets you clear out the ranged enemies and get a plunge attack on him.

Jinn

Arcane
Hmmm, actually a little surprised to see so much negativity about the Beta here. That's too bad. Kinda taking the hype winds right of of my sails. Was hoping with the great foundation built by the first game, they'd take it a little further.

Suicidal

Arcane
Hmmm, actually a little surprised to see so much negativity about the Beta here. That's too bad. Kinda taking the hype winds right of of my sails. Was hoping with the great foundation built by the first game, they'd take it a little further.

I can't play it myself cause I don't have a PS 4 but I've been watching different people streaming the beta and to me it looks like what I want from a sequel - they didn't seem to have dumbed anything down, or made it worse somehow. They just took the first game and added more mechanics while also addressing some of the issues people had with the first game, and put it all into a totally new single player campaign.

Personally I can't wait to play it and the main thing I'm concerned about is that it may never come to PC. If I, say, had the power to make Elden Ring a PS 4 exclusive in exchange for the guarantee that Nioh 2 comes to PC, I'd do it without a second thought (ideally I'd prefer to have bought, of course).

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
The four arm guy was a bitch so I cheesed him. Bombs do a lot of damage and half his stamina bar if they repeatedly hit.

I really found it funny how the game tries its best to stop him and other enemies from falling out of the battlefield and instantly dying.

He'll always take the long way around to reach you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom