Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild 3

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I pity the poor Krauts or Austro-Hungarians who are working on this. It's gotta be worse than being on the front lines in 1918 knowing that the war is lost but you've got to slog through the mud each day.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Four years in development hell. I wonder how many of the studio's >30 employees are even assigned to the project. One or two?

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So after devs changed are there some good changes or just a quagmire?
Well, the patches keep coming much faster, the overall score (which was below 40% IIRC) is up to 48% and the recent score is 58%.
So I'd say the direction has improved significantly.
Half a year later, and both scores have improved by +3% :lol:
If it continues like this, I would say we could have a good game to play in ~5 years.

One has to wonder what is going on behind the scenes here. It is rare for a game that is developed by non-hobbyists to advance this slowly.
First team was incompetent. Perhaps they become senile, or if there are developers who are using ONLY skills learned in schools, they become less and less capable in comparison to self-educated developers. But frankly from my experience 20 years ago, most were willing to spend weekends on theirs own projects to learn stuff, and term reinvention of wheel was common.

Now, the original developers might be able to write mindfuck like Guild I, but original publisher demand was don't do that. They didn't have clue how to write Guild 2, thus they didn't have clue how to write sequel.

Second team got source code of quality, that was 20 years ago called, "it's easier to write it again". Game would happen, 6 years later, but there is no passion.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
For me The Guild 1 Gold will remain the most fun to play.

I recently reinstalled the Guild 3. It's not bad but I get The Guild 2 PTSD (which is not great). I am still a bit mad about the interface, it feels obtuse for me.

My verdict: pass or only get when it's under 5€.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another time to take a look.
Game proceeds to receive continuous updates. Average rating is now up to 57% and recent is 64%.

Considering it used to be at 44% average, this is no small feat.
Still, who knows when this will actually be done.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There hasn't been a news update on Steam in about a month.
Not a released one, but they've commented on what they are currently doing just some days ago:

danke für das ausführliche Feedback. Wir arbeiten gerade an einer Überarbeitung der Automatisierung, allerdings ist auch da die Idee, das zu produzieren, was am Markt den größten Profit gibt, deine Lagerstände werden da weniger berücksichtigt. Wenn du richtig gute Nutzung und Auslastung all deiner Betriebe sicher stellen willst, musst du das manuell planen. Allerdings werden wir dafür in der Zukunft bessere Tools zur Verfügung stellen, damit du quasi selbst deine Automatisierung planen kannst.
Die Fragen der Leute auf der Strasse können dir einen kleinen Bonus geben, je nach Frage, aber es ist kein MUSS.
In der Minimap (m) kannst du einsehen, welche Bezirke wo sind, alternativ kannst du in der Gebäudeübersicht sehen, zu welchem Bezirk es gehört.
Mit den neuen Berufen werden wir auch noch ein paar neue Aktionen für die Charaktere einführen. Viele davon gab es auch in den Vorgängerspielen.
Wir sind gespannt, was du davon hältst!

I'm too lazy to translate all of that myself, so here's a Google Translate:
thanks for the detailed feedback. We are currently working on a revision of the automation, but there is also the idea of producing what gives the greatest profit on the market, your inventory levels are less taken into account. If you want to ensure really good usage and utilization of all your businesses, you have to plan this manually. However, we will provide better tools for this in the future so that you can virtually plan your automation yourself.
The questions people ask on the street can give you a little bonus, depending on the question, but it's not a MUST.
In the minimap (m) you can see which districts are where, alternatively you can see in the building overview which district it belongs to.
With the new professions we will also introduce a few new actions for the characters. Many of them were also in the previous games.
We are curious what you think of it!

Why all of that takes such a long time?
I have no idea, really. They must be working with the worst kind of spaghetti code and instead of cleaning it all up and starting from scratch, they possibly just increased the spaghettiness of it all while working on their fixes.
I would really love to see a post mortem of this project once it's done (or dead).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I got an email saying this had left early access. They seem to have improved it a lot (though I can't say, as I never played the EA) -- but not enough. I might try it.

I think Saelig seems to be the better game, though it's still in EA and I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got an email saying this had left early access. They seem to have improved it a lot (though I can't say, as I never played the EA) -- but not enough. I might try it.

I think Saelig seems to be the better game, though it's still in EA and I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.
I dunno, even last month the feedback on Guild 3 was that it felt unfinished. Hell, that's what reviews made a week back say.
I wonder if they released this out of the blue after just giving up.

Norfleet

If they're gonna give up, they could at least include the source in their give-up.

Aemar

Arcane
Have they added business room interiors yet? Not a proper Guild game unless they add that.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Oh, wow, what a mess.
Can't wait for some overly detailed review tearing it apart.

After years of patching, it's still nowhere near finished.
I get working on games takes time, but here I wonder if they got ripped off by some freelancer who promised that he was some uber coder, but actually just opened Unity for the first time.

Victor1234

Educated
I liked Guild 1 (Europa 1400, whatever!), I loved Guild 2 and I appreciate the effort behind Guild 3 but it's literally like watching a train wreck. Instead of pulling the plug when the original devs messed it up, the publisher pays to bring in a new team to fix it over years and even add the (frankly unnecessary) stuff like interiors that the steam forums were crying for. That's great and should be encouraged, but ironically their good behaviour is being punished because it still isn't enough.

Now the game is released and it's obviously not a success and the publisher is punished for being a good publisher and putting the money in to not release a broken game. The problem is, the game isn't technically broken (it's probably the most stable in terms of crashes and savegame corruption since the original Guild 1) but it's gameplay broken.

There are so many frustrating design decisions that make this a step back in nearly every aspect from the series, even though they've added the interiors back in. Did you play these games for the business + fighting aspect? Too bad, now fighting is borked, so you can only select one guy at a time and half the time you can't attack someone attacking you because the game greyed out the option.

Did you like the legal system interactions? Well, now you can literally declare anything legal (and the AI likes to make murder and other violence legal) and avoid the justice system entirely.

Ok, but how about it being an economic game? Oh, well, unfortunately the attempts to simulate a closed system have ended. Now overproduction of goods disappears into the ether and my farm across from the market can be automated to take literal buckets of water across the way and sell them forever with only minor price variations.

Now you can upgrade your worker's inventory by buying them bigger storage containers! Too bad automated workers will only carry/gather X amount of goods no matter how much space they have, but if you want to micro it yourself, you can gather 40 things at a time instead of only 10. Speaking of containers, they added horses to the game as a mode of personal transport, which was about the only change I liked. Now your dude can ride places quickly instead of jogging. But since containers don't discriminate between any object in the game, is that 40 horses in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Now weather will play a role for the first time! Watch as occasional winter storms damage your buildings slightly and laugh as literally everyone in town goes about their normal business as always in the middle of a blizzard. Did you like how people went to the tavern after work and got drunk, staggering home at the end of the night in Guild 2, making them easy targets for pickpockets or worse? Yeah, that's gone.

If you like this sort of game, try Saelig. It's got weird British humor (the dev literally wasted time coding an ability to take a shit on someone's doorstep) but it's far better than the Guild 3 as an economic game with RPG-like elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom