Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ZeniBot

Cipher
the designer said that UI is actually customisable.

Its probably WoW levels of Customisation. Which is not very unless you mod it. I'll give them credit though that if it at least allows that level of Modding its still a step up from other liveservice games.

Mazisky

Magister
This 'fully open world' means Diablo IV is going to be a MMO like Path of Exile where you play your single-player campaign with other people running around in towns (and in D4 case, also outside the towns). I think I'll give it a pass. Maybe play it once for the story.

I was worried too but they said that everything can be completed solo and other people appear only in town and on boss events. Dungeons and all campaign areas are private, so you don't see anyone else there.

Mazisky

Magister
Honestly i don't know why people are complaining that combat looks too similar to Diablo 3. It's literally the best Aprg combat avaiable, much better than any PoE or Grim Dawn.

D3 problems were in other parts of the gameplay.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Looks a lot like D3 and I guarantee the existence of consoles are the reason for that.

That was an awesome trailer, though. Blizzard never disappoints with those.

Shadenuat

Arcane
All of this made me play D1. In first few levels I found 2 handed axe and it's double damage.
it's not magical
it's not set piece
it doesn't proc lighting when I use health potion
it just does more damage than sword and so I used it and it felt like progression.

then I found Butcher and he killed me twice. but I found a bunch of magical staves and that helped. then I switched to axe.
First boss in game killed me. Twice.

but then in Leoric tomb many skeletons shot me, so I switched back to sword and shield. then I found relic mace against skeletons, and it was good. I also learned how to use healing spell and town portal. had to ration scrolls before it.
I also bought leather armor. A white item for 350 gold. Since i only had cloaks and rags.

Neat that Leoric had crown Griswold said he maid for him; too bad no mithral sword.

I think action RPGs went into wrong direction. They need to scrap everything and begin from the basics. Because their basic gameplay lost appeal.

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
Didn't they need like 20y to make D3 and this come out of a blue and there is demo out already for some people so its coming soon?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
The entire OST is amazing.
And the art design is top tier, too.
Even the game isn't half bad, even if it is a dumbed down Rogue-lite with saving (unless you play solo multiplayer hardcore.)
solo multiplayer hardcore is the only way to play :salute:

All of this made me play D1.

I think action RPGs went into wrong direction. They need to scrap everything and begin from the basics. Because their basic gameplay lost appeal.
:agenda acknowledged: i played a melee rogue some months ago, Butcher just requires full belt of potions and steady damage output

also, found out the hard way that alt-tabbing the game and leaving it overnight messes with the game clock so all actions are out of sync / faster than they should be - when surrounded by azure drakes in hell (difficulty) hell (level 13), losing a pretty rare king's sword of heavens bought from grisworld (almost impossible roll due to cost limits) in the process

Shadenuat

Arcane
Butcher interrupts you every hit unless you have enough defence.

I don't think you need to think about something like that on any first boss in any other modern ARPG. They just follow the same autopilot play.

Nathir

Liturgist
Lol, this looks nothing like D2 or D1. It looks like D3 with more detailed characters and environments. Colors are also a little darker, which is all nice but everything is still well lit and they seem to not be willing reintroducing light radius and completely black the edges of caves out. Or to have gritty monster designs.

Monster design is still garbage. Just a bunch of long limbs and spikes everywhere. Goatmen look like fucking shit. Characters perform anime movements, just like in D3, it doesn't feel grounded at all. Meanwhile Duriel is doing long, telegraphed attacks, instead of the fast beatdown in D2. Gameplay looks identical to D3. When a monster gets hit it glows and hit sparks fly everywhere, together with damage numbers. Monsters are exploding and flying all over the place, just like D3. Disaster. Item design is the same as D3. 1 tiny square with a shitty icon. Items in D2 looked fucking epic. Damage and defense stats? Infinite scaling of monsters? Endless threadmill for +5% dmg?

Trailer was hype, but the game will be dogshit. I can't believe people are actually comparing this to older Diablos and falling for nostalgia bait marketing. Its a D3 reskin.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
As others have said, this is probably a demo they cobbled together as fast as possible using the Diablo 3 engine/gameplay loop. It might change in the years to come, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

S.torch

Arbiter
She's not a goddess of lust, I don't know where you are getting this from.

She is supposed to be a demon of lust, very closely to being a succubus that "steal" men by seducing them.

Having big tits in her demon form is poor imagination and more anime than anything else.

It's not about the size of her breasts, it's about the character failing to have a lustful female figure. In fact, her body looks completly androgynous.

Aphrodite is never depicted as having ginormous gazongas in classical paintings and statues.

This is a classical despiction of Aphrodite.

544px-The_Birth_of_Venus_by_William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_%281879%29.jpg

This is "Lilith" in the trailer.

serveimage

overly excitable young man

Diablo 1 might still be great fun, but i think i only played that much D2 because i was a very bored kid.
Now coming back to D2 it's pretty boring.
I don't even care about whole Diablo franchise anymore.

S.torch

Arbiter
She isn't "supposed to be" a "demon of lust", she is officially the daughter of hatred.

She is "officially" also the queen of the succubi. Even more reason why she shouldn't look like an androgynous monster that only a dinosaur would find attractive.

Nathir

Liturgist
As others have said, this is probably a demo they cobbled together as fast as possible using the Diablo 3 engine/gameplay loop. It might change in the years to come, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Has any game in recent years significantly changed during alpha/beta and release? Most likely what you see is what you'll get.

S.torch

Arbiter
And Mephisto should look like just a man with a goat leg or smth?

This is not about literal representation. Mephisto being a monster fit well because he wasn't supposed to be seductive. Lilith on the other hand, is the Queen of the succubi.

She looks fine.

She doesn't. Even your own example of Aphrodite tells it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom