Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Reinar

Scholar
To describe the game, you can actually use a slogan from the game itself: It's not the best choice - It's Spacer's* Choice!
Or another: You've tried the best, now try the rest.

* Insert your favourite word (like casual, SJW, normie, ...)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Vorark

Erudite
MrBTongue weighs in: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=48441

In any case, the game has been critically successful, will probably be commercially successful, and, without giving anything specific away, has a cracking sequel hook. Expansions and a sequel are probably both in the future.

What sequel hook? Earth? :lol:

Anyway, took me around 25h to finish the game. Monarch was the best part since it had a nice balance between the fighting and talking bits, you could take different approaches to the MSI vs. Iconoclasts conflict and hints were dropped that not all was sunshine and flowers within the Board. Unfortunately it's all downhill from there, Byzantium was a goddamn slog with loading screens everywhere and at the end you find out the villains are so comically inept they feel neither satisfying to ally with or to take down.

Didn't expect much to begin so I managed to have my share of fun. It's just a shame the potential showcased by the Monarch segment was never realized. By the end, I was feeling just like Vicar here:

tow1.jpg

Dodo1610

Arcane
Just finished took me exactly 30h+ the 20h of my first playthrough that I scrapped. I still love it, though I doubt I will start another playthrough soon.
I hate that you are forced to work with the maniac Sophia and that you are forced to destroy Edgewater which doesn't seem to benefit the board at all. I played both sides until Tartarus which was quite fun and ended up as the true ruler of the colony with the director as a front.

Outer Worlds has some fresh ideas like the holographic device, though it could be improved by liking it's effectiveness to a skill. I like that you can get through almost every quest without killing friendly NCPs and that your skills really mattered in dialogue.

Outer World is a 8/10 for me, Not nearly as good as Fallout New Vegas but probably the best FNV clone they could do with the limited budget.

Prime Junta

I think they will eventually be moving to streaming games like Google Stadia so I don't think it will matter if you buy from an XBOX or PC as long as you are subscribed to their service. Phil Spencer mentioned in his interview with Giant Bomb that eventually things will move to streaming but it feels too soon for now or something.

Streaming has one major hurdle: latency. How are you going to give, say, a shooter crisp responsiveness with a 100 ms ping?

Codex Year of the Donut
Theres something so strange about how, with an entirely different engine and their own IP, with the freedom to do anything, they made... another gamebryo style game??? I mean... it was SIXTY dollars.

You realize that kind of game is extremely popular, right?
Codex posters seem to have trouble understanding what is/isn't popular here usually means nothing with regards to overall popularity.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just finished took me exactly 30h+ the 20h of my first playthrough that I scrapped. I still love it, though I doubt I will start another playthrough soon.
I hate that you are forced to work with the maniac Sophia and that you are forced to destroy Edgewater which doesn't seem to benefit the board at all. I played both sides until Tartarus which was quite fun and ended up as the true ruler of the colony with the director as a front.

Forced how? I did the Board ending and never destroyed Edgewater. In fact they got a very prosperous ending slide. The game is more reactive than people think.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Forced how? I did the Board ending and never destroyed Edgewater. In fact they got a very prosperous ending slide. The game is more reactive than people think.

Ah cool, so it was only because I gave Edgewater to Adelaide.

krilcebre

Learned
I feel like this game could have been so much better, had they worked more on itemization and the amount of ammo/weapons you find everywhere. It's just too easy to come across everything and anything you could need, and it makes the game a lot more streamlined and kills the exploration and atmosphere. Also, rewarding less points to a player per level could work too, because as it stands right now, you can be good with pretty much everything. And perks should have negative effects too, right now they are pretty boring and uninspired. It's an average game, but people have been waiting for this kind of a game for a long while, which is the reason why it's so popular. It does have a lot of good stuff in it, like reactivity and the whole companion system, but most of the stuff you do all the time in a game, like combat and aforementioned itemization and exploration are kind of lackluster. It could be fixed with a good balance patch tho I think.

Perhaps not as high meta/open critic but yeah. People wanted something like this game for a long time and it certainly not a bad game... Even people that disliked in review gave it a 6-7.

Btw Zero Brew incoming? :M:M

** Tweet from literal faggot Jez Corden removed **

Fagsidian really does have to copy every single thing Bethesda does, don't they? Right down to releasing a shitty alcoholic meme beverage to tie in with their game. Outer Words 1st when?

krilcebre

Learned
Yeah, since the game was so well accepted, I'm sure they won't be making any drastic changes. One can always dream tho.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It was week since release and Obsidian still silent about patches - weird, there is pretty mean gamecrashing bug in final, people were talking about it since day 2.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Parvati has just decided that she wants to be a lesbian and just can't stop fawning over her crush, although I have let her know that I am not interested in her newfound homosexuality and don't feel like being a constituent in her "coming out" story. I am My PC is now contemplating if she should be murdered by throwing her into the air lock, if she happens to bring it up again.

I'd like to add that the second area (Groundbreaker) is pretty lame. It is mostly just a bunch of boring story and overly verbose dialogue and fetch quests. Also, the most interesting NPC in my opinion, Captain MacRedd, had only a few lines of dialogue. I think it was a missed opportunity that there is no option to take him on as a team mate. He'd be a great addition for those roleplaying evil/crazy characters.

Outer Worlds has some fresh ideas like the holographic device
it's actually a huge offender. "hey, dude, you have no permission to enter her- oh, come on in you never seen before but totally legit worker", a device which burns incredible amount of energy (because it gets out of power in a matter of seconds) but recharges immediately as soon as you walk through an arbitrary limit. and whoever watches you switch appearances back and forth doesn't care.
nigga please.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's not really being received as some 10/10 masterpiece. Even on /r/games there is a 1000+ comment thread right now full of people nitpicking all the TOW's problems. And that's as mainstream place as it gets with 2 million subscribers. Safe to say honeymoon is over.

They definitely need to fix the difficulty, game was built for replayability, but right now everybody has finished it within a week and no one is replaying it because it's too darn easy.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I think they will eventually be moving to streaming games like Google Stadia so I don't think it will matter if you buy from an XBOX or PC as long as you are subscribed to their service. Phil Spencer mentioned in his interview with Giant Bomb that eventually things will move to streaming but it feels too soon for now or something.

Streaming has one major hurdle: latency. How are you going to give, say, a shooter crisp responsiveness with a 100 ms ping?

Reportedly, the engineers at Google have discovered negative latency.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Compared to FNV, TOW is lot more condensed and focused on it's shtick, a case similar to Tyranny which is also not very long and sells itself on C&C and reactive plot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom