Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

LizardWizard

Cipher
The default expectation is that new Paradox is on the decline and that a success like CK2 is difficult to follow up on even the best of times.

The concrete info in that DD itself sounds great, though, very welcome.

Still being made by the guy that actually made CK2 even happen. It's been in development long before the Imperator dev cycle even began and Johan isn't really involved in CK3 at all.

Other than the bland UI, the mechanic improvements seem promising. From what we've seen there is at least some optimism to be had. I don't see PDS blundering one of their highest grossing IPs.

Reddit said:
If you don't know, in this article Paradox have talked about the new Dynamic Religion system, that will be implemented in CK3. Here is the quote:

Every religion in Crusader Kings 3 is made up of Tenets, which are mechanical bonuses that apply to everyone following the religion, and Doctrines, which represent church views on things like homosexuality and women becoming priests. Should you choose to found a heresy, you can customize the Tenets and Doctrines of your new religion freely.

I think, this system can work perfectly in potential Victoria 3 or a Cold War game. Not for religions, but for the political ideologies. Imagine the ability to create your own completely new political ideology or the slightly different version of an already existing ideology. Thing like this was very common in history, especially during 19th and 20st centuries. This also will help to portray different ideologies more accurately, so the things like classical Marxism, Marxism-Leninism and Trotskyism will not be all just called "Communism".

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron

The earliest Paradox grand strategy game chronologically is Imperator: Rome, which came out earlier this year and has a start date of 304 BCE. You can play as Scythia and Ptolemaic Egypt in that game. Although, if you don't already know, I feel that I should warn you that the game had a fairly middling reception and is considered by most people to be one of the worst Paradox grand strategy games (mainly due to it being overly streamlined and bare bones compared to earlier games).

There are a number of mods for Paradox games that are set in alternate time periods. You might be able to find one that is set earlier in time, but I'm not personally aware of any major ones that are set so early.

Sadly not. There are some mods with Ancient Near East content, but mostly for later periods, not too much for earliest ages. There are a little more diversity in Total War mods e.g., but also not too much.

The only strategy game focused in Mesopotamia/Bronze Age Near East that I ever experienced is Chariots of War, a 2003 turn-based Grand Strategy-lite game with real time battles (as a 2D Total War with resources collection relevance) in which the player must choose between more than 50 pre-hellenistic near eastern factions divided in 10 cultures. Historical accuracy is limited, not even close to Paradox games, the factions are anachronistically mixed, turn-based mode lacks a bit of complexity and real time battles are tactically simplistic and the way in wich units are presented make them chaotic (so not as tactically satisfying as old Total Wars nor as fun as Age of Empires). However, Chariots of War is a interesting title, It's kinda disappointing, could be great with some little changes and adittions, but still can be fun and constitutes the only true alternative for those interested in Grand Strategy in Ancient Near East setting. I recommend you and everyone interested in those periods to try this game, in the absence of something else.

120991.jpg

large_00002317.jpg

00002323.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes! Europa universalis 4 with the "Imperium Universalis" mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679204773

Not for akkadians or classic imperial egyptians and only partially for medes or scythians (chronologically and by specific content included).

I would like some mod or even better, original campaign, with 600 b.C as the end of the period, not the start. Good Ol' Orient for once.
It does have late Egypt mate. Reading about that period and those cultures is pretty fun,but it doesn't have a material for a good grand strategy game. There is only a few known civilizations and most of the other tribes are forgotten by history. Not enough historical knowledge to make a well filled map with tribes.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Not for akkadians or classic imperial egyptians and only partially for medes or scythians (chronologically and by specific content included).

I would like some mod or even better, original campaign, with 600 b.C as the end of the period, not the start. Good Ol' Orient for once.

There's like 1500 year gap between Akkadians (early bronze age) and Scythians (iron age to classical antiquity). If you want them squeezed somehow into one game, then Civilization is just for you.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
If you just want that ancient civ itch scratched here's some random suggestions:
- Trade Empires has several scenarios in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt and Persia. It's a lovely little trading game I like to replay every few years. No combat, you just set up markets and trade routes and civilization spring up around them.
- Dominions has a Sumerian themed faction, several Zoroastrian themed factions and an ancient Egypt themed faction. But of course it's all with a heavy mythological twist and the gameplay, is well, Dominions.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
like a worse version of CK2 theme
It's what composers do for sequels, they redo songs from the previous game but with more frills and distractions that drown out what made the original good.

That said, CK1 had the best music of any Paradox game.

So iconic. This is the song they should be remaking.

It does have late Egypt mate. Reading about that period and those cultures is pretty fun,but it doesn't have a material for a good grand strategy game. There is only a few known civilizations and most of the other tribes are forgotten by history. Not enough historical knowledge to make a well filled map with tribes.

Not really, we have knowledge about Bronze and Iron Age Near East at very high levels, above what we have for any other place on the Earth for much later periods (1000, 2000 or even more than 3500 years later). The volume of information that we have about Mesopotamia, Egypt or Levant in 800, 1200 or even 2100 B.c is only partially matched in hellenic and roman worlds in some specific fields but not in all (and probably not in most). The largest amount of texts preserved before printing press in human history are those from the "pre-classic" Ancient Near East (3000-500 B.c. aprox) way over classical greek or latin, old chinese, arabic and mostly european medieval texts with very little exceptions (some zones of Western Europe in late medieval times, some very specific roman or greek knowledge fields or arts, etc).

For example in present Bulgaria's territory the knowledge of legal system, economic transactions, family structure or diet that we have for Ur III sumerian world or Middle Egyptian Kingdom is possible only at advanced medieval times, at Second Bulgarian Empire times or later.

There's like 1500 year gap between Akkadians (early bronze age) and Scythians (iron age to classical antiquity). If you want them squeezed somehow into one game, then Civilization is just for you.

No, it's not for me. The "nations" selection with their different chronology was made by A_boring_GOG_bot that was who ask in first place, not by me. In fact I specifically stated in the previous message how one of the problems of Chariots of War is the anachronistic mix of cultures and states (not at Civilization retarded level however).

I would prefer short period setting with strict historical accuracy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Not really, we have knowledge about Bronze and Iron Age Near East at very high levels, above what we have for any other place on the Earth for much later periods (1000, 2000 or even more than 3500 years later). The volume of information that we have about Mesopotamia, Egypt or Levant in 800, 1200 or even 2100 B.c is only partially matched in hellenic and roman worlds in some specific fields but not in all (and probably not in most). The largest amount of texts preserved before printing press in human history are those from the "pre-classic" Ancient Near East (3000-500 B.c. aprox) way over classical greek or latin, old chinese, arabic and mostly european medieval texts with very little exceptions (some zones of Western Europe in late medieval times, some very specific roman or greek knowledge fields or arts, etc).

For example in present Bulgaria's territory the knowledge of legal system, economic transactions, family structure or diet that we have for Ur III sumerian world or Middle Egyptian Kingdom is possible only at advanced medieval times, at Second Bulgarian Empire times or later.

No, it's not for me. The "nations" selection with their different chronology was made by A_boring_GOG_bot that was who ask in first place, not by me. In fact I specifically stated in the previous message how one of the problems of Chariots of War is the anachronistic mix of cultures and states (not at Civilization retarded level however).

I would prefer short period setting with strict historical accuracy.
Ahh i am not arguing that we don't know about the cultures about those developed nations,but the lack of knowledge about the rest of the world needed for making a decent game map. Do you know what tribes lived in modern iran are during those days and what their culture and religion was,how about north africa or Mediterranean sea? Focusing a whole paradox game on 3-5 advanced ancient civilizations is boring.

Whilst early Sumer might as well be called the Empire of Uruk, the centuries between Uruk's decline and the rise of Akkad provide what I believe to be the best setting for a grand strategy game.

Either that or Classical Greece.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Depends. Scythians if you believe Herodotus have a tradition going at least back as Herakles who is a bronze age figure, mythical or real. In fact andro novo culture has a strong modern central asian, read Scythian, imprint.

Andronovo was chariot/livestock civilization. Little in common with Scythians in terms of material culture. Scythians were horse archers and had extensive farming. There's at most a tenuous linguistic link, since Andronovo people most likely spoke what was close to undifferentiated Proto Indo-Iranian.

Herodotus relates fairy tales. At best a heavily distorted family legend of few ruling clans.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
1sytDUM.jpg

From the latest Developer's Diary. Pretty impressive, although many of the new areas are baronies, which are now represented on the map, and which are attached to their county; you cannot attack or conquer an individual barony, and when you conquer a county, you get all of its associated baronies. The increased granularity of provinces will definitely make military maneuvering more interesting and important - we'll have to see how it affects vassalage.

Chunkyman

Augur
I like the increased granularity particularly for small Kingdoms. Becoming king of places like Wales or Brittany felt really underwhelming because you had almost nothing/nobody underneath you.

LizardWizard

Cipher
TutorIrelands is going to be a bloodbath

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom