Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Sentinel

Arcane
Perhaps he should look inwards - Japan is one of the most xenophobic and racist countries on earth.

Funny how Agnes Kaku (MGS2 translator) was right https://web.archive.org/web/2012012...coregaming101.net:80/metalgear/agnesskaku.htm

Raising the subject of Japanese nationals who could have been a source of information for Kojima lead us on to an even more interesting discussion, the slight obsession Kojima has with American militarism. As Agness succinctly put it, "Why is Mr Kojima writing about a country he's not a part of, and frankly doesn't know that much about? Watching a bunch of Michael Bay movies does not... I mean, it teaches you about America, in that we let a guy like this direct a lot of movies, but why doesn't he write a Japanese game? You know, same kind of action, same kind of stealth. There is darkness in Japan as well, and there's of course the potential for a lot more in the future, in any country which happens to be peaceful. There are a lot Japanese mercenaries. If you remember there was one killed in Iraq a few years ago."
Even worse was the unfair fan criticism she received, as mentioned earlier. "Yeah, it happens. I think part of it is, I think, because I'm a woman. And because I've been outspoken about the fact that I do not think this stuff is well written. So it's a bit of: 'What the hell does that girl know?' kind of thing. And perhaps the criticism about Kojima not knowing a lot of women, perhaps hit home with some of the fans? Obviously these games wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't have had work if there weren't that many fans, but sometimes you just kind of wanna go: 'It's just a game! I mean it's got characters named Liquid and Solid, go outside for a second!''

Viata

Arcane
Pretty sure the "love thy neighbor" was only to the people of Israel, given that they killed a lot of people left and right. In fact, even people of Israel were killed for many bullshit reasons.

Lambach

Arcane
kw0L7AT.png

>the game whose development began well over a year before either of those two events is somehow about those two events

OK, Hackjima.

Longshanks

Augur
Perhaps he should look inwards - Japan is one of the most xenophobic and racist countries on earth.

Funny how Agnes Kaku (MGS2 translator) was right https://web.archive.org/web/2012012...coregaming101.net:80/metalgear/agnesskaku.htm

Raising the subject of Japanese nationals who could have been a source of information for Kojima lead us on to an even more interesting discussion, the slight obsession Kojima has with American militarism. As Agness succinctly put it, "Why is Mr Kojima writing about a country he's not a part of, and frankly doesn't know that much about? Watching a bunch of Michael Bay movies does not... I mean, it teaches you about America, in that we let a guy like this direct a lot of movies, but why doesn't he write a Japanese game? You know, same kind of action, same kind of stealth. There is darkness in Japan as well, and there's of course the potential for a lot more in the future, in any country which happens to be peaceful. There are a lot Japanese mercenaries. If you remember there was one killed in Iraq a few years ago."

One Japanaese mercenary was killed in Iraq a few years ago? How is this not a game already?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
As far as I'm concerned "love thy neighbor" is literal.

Nothing in the Bible (or any significant religous text of any major religion), is meant to be taken literally.

Pretty sure the "love thy neighbor" was only to the people of Israel, given that they killed a lot of people left and right. In fact, even people of Israel were killed for many bullshit reasons.

Even if it was only applied to the Israelites, with Christ it applies to everyone regardless of what background someone belongs to.
I think the most superficial and obvious meaning to this is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"...

Sentinel

Arcane
This headline is clickbait
I'm sure they're more racist than Israel. I guess that's why you can't go 10 seconds on the streets of Tokyo without seeing a white person.
Retard.
What does Israel have to do with anything in this conversation you absolutely obsessed mutt? Kojima isn't Israeli last I checked, and I wasn't ranking countries based on racism and xenophobia.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LOLOLOL ISREAL IS A STRAIT UP ETHNIC RELIGIOUS STATE MADE THAT WAY ON PURPOSE

LOLOLLLOL YEAH RACIST AS FUCK BUT THEY TELL YOU THE SCORE UPFRONT

JAPAN STILL HATES OTHERS JUST AS MUCH

IN FACT THE WORLD IS NATURALLY RACIST CAUSE IN EARTH HISTORY IF TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLES MET ONE WOULD TOTALLY TRY TO GENOCIDE THE OTHER IF IT LOOKED EASY AND SOMETIMES IF NOT

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Pretty obvious to anyone seeing him cosying up to actors and directors the past few years.

Stefanie escaped his clutch.

The imbecile just ensured that Death Stranding will flop. At least now he knows who to blame.

https://nichegamer.com/2019/11/04/kojima-productions-will-make-full-movies-in-the-future/
With the release of Death Stranding looming ever closer, game director Hideo Kojima is on a media tour to talk up the game and its development process. A recent interview had Kojima confirm that his studio will eventually make full-blown movies, and not just video games.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Get woke go broke. Plans change after releases.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
So it turns out that great games are created by talented teams that are well put together, and not one guy.

It is nice to know though that there are games out there like Death Stranding that took some creative risks. Not that I will spend any money on it, but it is nice to know that it is there.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
https://stevivor.com/reviews/death-stranding-review-dead-arrival/

If you thought Sam’s name was strange, he’s not out of place — like other characters who could double as Mega Man villains named Deadman and Heartman, the head of Bridges is named Die-Hardman. He’s the right-hand man to the current president – not that a corporation backing a presidency would ever be problematic – and wears a mask that helps to hide a hidden past because Kojima thinks that’s cool as hell.

Sam’s long journey will take him from the west to the east coast of America; a land dotted with obstacles in the form of BTs, entities of the dead stuck in the land of the living, or humans who are either mercenaries (MULEs) or apocalypse-loving anti-Porters lead by an incel in yet another mask voiced by Troy Baker. Truly, Sam’s biggest opponent is the small rock, an enemy found all around America and far more dangerous than any BT or MULE.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So it turns out that great games are created by talented teams that are well put together, and not one guy.

Disagree.
If the core concept, ideas, mechanics and how the project is directed are all the responsability of one guy, then the game's quality is the due to that one man.

I mean, it's just like movies. The main reason why 2001 or Predator (or any movie) are good are they are, it's because Kubrick/McTiernan directed them. Sure the actors and the rest of the team are also very important and responsible, but if only the directors made could make those movies as they are.

Also I think in Japan game director have much more control over their projects than Western devs have (although they are also the who take the heat, should the game fail).

Giving some game examples.
In the middle of Resident Evil 2 development, Kamiya (RE2 director) was unsatisfied with how the game was becoming, so ordered the team to delete all progress so far because he decided to start again from scratch. And because of his strong direction the game turned out great!
On the flip side, DMC2 developement had no clear direction, no one with a strong vision of what the game should be and no one to run the show. Because of that the game turned out the piece of shit it is. But then on DMC3, Itsuno took the reins and made one of the best games Capcom has ever published.

Same thing with Metal Gear. Kojima was the one that gave the franchise it's identity.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Jesus Christ politics is fucking dragged into everything these days. Should make an account on meta critic and rate this shit a zero, just out of principal.

Was this a thing 10-15 years ago? Maybe I was too young to notice it or something? I don't remember people making games that were indirectly trying to warn people about Obama or Bush.

blrrmmmff

Scholar
Disagree.
If the core concept, ideas, mechanics and how the project is directed are all the responsability of one guy, then the game's quality is the due to that one man.

I mean, it's just like movies. The main reason why 2001 or Predator (or any movie) are good are they are, it's because Kubrick/McTiernan directed them. Sure the actors and the rest of the team are also very important and responsible, but if only the directors made could make those movies as they are.

Also I think in Japan game director have much more control over their projects than Western devs have (although they are also the who take the heat, should the game fail).

Giving some game examples.
In the middle of Resident Evil 2 development, Kamiya (RE2 director) was unsatisfied with how the game was becoming, so ordered the team to delete all progress so far because he decided to start again from scratch. And because of his strong direction the game turned out great!
On the flip side, DMC2 developement had no clear direction, no one with a strong vision of what the game should be and no one to run the show. Because of that the game turned out the piece of shit it is. But then on DMC3, Itsuno took the reins and made one of the best games Capcom has ever published.

Same thing with Metal Gear. Kojima was the one that gave the franchise it's identity.

I think it is more nuanced than that though. George Lucas had some terrible ideas for the original Star Wars, but also some really great ideas, and because he did not have absolute power, people could push back the terrible ideas and filter out the great. The dialogue in original Star Wars was originally pretty awful (prequel level cringe) and was almost completely rewritten without him. But then his name blew up, his wife who helped save the original movies had divorced him, and the prequels happened.

I think it is the same here, Kojima probably had a great team, and his uniqueness combined with a good team pushing back against his crap and filtered out the good stuff into the game and made at least the original 3 games pretty decent. But 4 was awful, that game was playable despite Kojima, not because of him. It had the same 'I don't respect your time' pretentious cringe long ass cut scenes as this game.

We are seeing Kojima at its absolute peak, complete power, with nobody to push back against his bullshit. Turns out he has 5 good ideas, and 20 terrible ideas, and nobody around to reign him back on the terrible ideas.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reading so many Death Stranding news makes me want a Monster now. And I’m a Red Bull kind of guy :argh:
Stop drinking energy drinks, they wreck your heart and have tons of sugar. Switch to water.
Green Tea is the drink of the master race.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom