Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Curratum

Both GOG and NightDive can suck an egg, just BECAUSE of SSHock 2. When the game released on GOG, it was advertised everywhere as a GOG exclusive. A few months later it came to Steam. The same shit happened with multiple other titles - releasing with "EXCLUSIVELY ON GOG" banners, then coming to Steam a little later. I've still not bought Diablo 1 on GOG because I know it will come to Steam in a couple of months.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've still not bought Diablo 1 on GOG because I know it will come to Steam in a couple of months.

Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure. The general trend seems to be that the small Nightdive-style operations whose entire business model is based on rereleasing old games quickly release their games on Steam and everywhere else. But the big publishers who have a back catalog of legacy games often release them only on GOG.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Both GOG and NightDive can suck an egg, just BECAUSE of SSHock 2. When the game released on GOG, it was advertised everywhere as a GOG exclusive. A few months later it came to Steam. The same shit happened with multiple other titles - releasing with "EXCLUSIVELY ON GOG" banners, then coming to Steam a little later. I've still not bought Diablo 1 on GOG because I know it will come to Steam in a couple of months.
Why would you buy on Steam if it is available on GOG?

Curratum

I've still not bought Diablo 1 on GOG because I know it will come to Steam in a couple of months.

Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure. The general trend seems to be that the small Nightdive-style operations whose entire business model is based on rereleasing old games quickly release their games on Steam and everywhere else. But the big publishers who have a back catalog of legacy games often release them only on GOG.

I'd give it another 2-3 months.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would you buy on Steam if it is available on GOG?
I don't know about Curratum, but for me Steam is nearly always cheaper, and old games tend to be DRM-free on both platforms anyway.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Weekly sales :

Kingdom Come, Heroes of Might and Magic, Warhammer 40k and more up to -90%

Plug In Digital and Dear Villagers Sale up to -80%

Age of Wonders, King Arthur and others up to -80%

New releases :

Craft the World - Abandoned Mines DLC

Craft the World - Bosses & Monsters DLV

Craft The World - Temples of 4 Elements DLC

( 75% off discount for the base game until November 8th, 2pm UTC. )

Mutant Football League - Brawltimore Razors DLC

( 25% off dscount for the base game until November 6th )

Pre-order :

Blacksad: Under the Skin Get the game before November 21st, 2pm UTC and receive a free copy of Yesterday Origins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squid

Arbiter
I don't know about Curratum, but for me Steam is nearly always cheaper, and old games tend to be DRM-free on both platforms anyway.
This is actually fair but I prefer supporting GOG since they aim for more DRM-free games and that they give you a convenient little .exe that you just run and it sets up your game. No zipping up or unzipping files to save space. It's just all on that installer that I can easily download and back up with little extra steps.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't change the fact that their current strategy is focused on modern titles with good old games as an afterthought.

Yes, but I'm saying that's the focus because there's not much else in the good old games sphere for them to make a splash with. Anyway, I don't think we actually disagree much, just communication error.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
An old game for a change. Clash, an obscure turn-based strategy game from 1998, made in Poland: https://af.gog.com/game/clash?as=1649904300

https://af.gog.com/news/clash_discover_a_classic_strategy_game_ahead_of_its_time?as=1649904300

CLASH: DISCOVER A CLASSIC STRATEGY GAME AHEAD OF ITS TIME

A turn-based strategy fantasy title that is easy to get the hang of but still quite complex? Many developers in the past have tried to accomplish this and only a few have succeeded. The Leryx Longsoft studio from Poland is one of them and their unique strategy game from 1998 continues to stand the test of time.

Now, after over 20 years, GOG.COM brings back Clash, a unique fantasy strategy game, from obscurity. Check out why we want to remind you about this DRM-free classic.

clash_editorial_1.jpg

Generals and dragons

The mix of strategy games with a fantasy setting has a long history behind it. Not surprisingly – many of the first game developers were hardcore J.R.R. Tolkien and Dungeon and Dragons fans. Games like King’s Bounty, Warlords, and Heroes of Might and Magic were hugely popular in the 90s. Gamers loved them for the opportunity to command armies containing fantastic beasts like dragons or vampires. At the same time, all those titles contained RPG style features, like treasure hunting.

Turn-based strategy games at that time had one huge advantage over then-popular RTS games like Warcraft. Thanks to the Hot Seat option anyone could invite their friends over for a multiplayer duel. Playing those games together became a tradition for many gamers, and was something players could have fun in groups even before the days of LAN parties. And then, out of the blue, one developing studio from Wrocław, Poland, decided to take this game genre one step further.

clash_editorial_2.jpg

A clash of ideas

Before turning into the direction of turn-based strategies, Leryx Longsoft studio (founded in 1993) had one considerable project behind it – the platform game Lew Leon. The title enjoyed considerable success in Poland, so the ambitions of the young development team grew even higher. In 1996, they announced that they were working on a new game. The head developer and score composer, Adam Skorupa (alias Scorpik) described the title as one that combines elements from Warlords, Heroes of Might and Magic and… Civilization 2.

In Clash, the gamer would be able to not only expand cities and recruit knights and fantastic monsters but tackle advanced diplomacy options and even create their own future dynasties, as well. Moreover, the military and battle options in Clash were far more advanced than what could be found in the then-considered almost perfect title – Heroes of Might and Magic II. Developing such a mixture of ideas wasn’t easy. Even today one of its creators, Jerzy Poprawa (alias Mac Abra) remembers the process of working on Clash as being “a bit fatiguing.”. But then he concludes: After 25 years, I still remember it with lots of sentiment, because it was, at least in terms of the script and game mechanics, my child.

clash_editorial_3.jpg

Game ahead of its time

Released in 1998, Clash was welcomed warmly by game critics. They praised the beautiful, almost fairytale-like graphics and interesting game mechanics. Adding diplomacy and royal dynasty creation added a new flavor to the strategy-based fantasy games and the fans of more complex battle strategies found something interesting with the game, as well.

Why is it forgotten now? Probably because in those times games from Poland didn’t stand much of a chance against big studios from Western Europe or the USA, mainly due to advertising budgets. Luckily for us, times have changed and now we can enjoy Clash game on GOG.COM. So maybe it’s time for good old-fashioned Hot Seat game with friends?

Formerly mentioned Jerzy Poprawa says it best - Clash still holds the test of time: That’s why I still recommend playing Clash, the first big-budget strategy game with fantasy elements made in Poland. Today it may look a little vintage […]. On the other hand, I can say with a small dose of pride that it still is very playable after 25 years from its release. Especially great soundtrack composed by Adam (Scorpik) Skorupa still outclasses many modern video games that have budgets in the millions. Have fun playing it!

While you're here, be sure to check our list of 11 video games you didn’t know were made in Poland along with the Made in Poland Sale

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They also added some translation, which confused some people wondering why they were in the Polish Games Sale
- Earthworm Jim 3D - dubbing pl
- Freespace 2 - dubbing pl
- Gorky 17 - dubbing pl [though they got it already?]
- Heroes of Might and Magic - text pl
- Heroes of Might and Magic 2: Gold - dubbing pl
- Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! - dubbing pl [Ryba iz back]
- MDK - text pl
- MDK 2 - dubbing pl
- Sacrifice - dubbing pl

still nothing for Dungeon Keeper 2... or Original War for that matter
guess pepiks got too mad to come back

Clash is available, though it will be GOLEM but this suffice.
Hope that Techland bring their old stuff there (Extermination, Chrome) and maybe start doing new games that are not about zombies?

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I thought GOG was DRM-Free, but then their version of Prison Architect gets updated to require Paradox Launcher malware. WTF!?

What is keeping this from happening to other games down the line? I would expect this on Steam, but on GOG??

wCp3egl.png

2AG9ZV8.png

GOG is silent about this. Now what?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom