Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Un3432titled.png

Candace Thomas, SENIOR Diablo 4 encounter designer, proudly presenting her gaysh rainbowy Blizzard pin.

Confirmed, game will be shit.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One mechanic that i really wanna to see in D4 is weather impacting your skills/spells.

Eg, a Wind Druid's Hurricane in the middle of desert should not be strong as a hurricane casted in south pole, the coldest and "humidest" region of the earth on Patagonia, during the winter, Hurricane should be stronger Sso IMO the hurricane should depending the weather
  • Deals more or less damage
  • Consume more os less mana
  • Increased or reduced radius
  • Chilling/Freezing chance and duration

Also they should bring immunities back.

Not sure they would do that as it fucks with balance. Weather effects would be realistic, but realistic is not what Blizzard goes for.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Unt2323232323itled.png

Omg. Religious themed visuals in the game
Confirmed, game will be half shit.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You know what else does this?
Reliance on resource.

Now you're cutting off even more design space. Faster mana regen? Nope. Leeching mana with your attacks? Can't do that. Skill that recovers your mana? Oh hell no. All of that will utterly ruin the delicate balance between skills that deal damage directly and skills that buff you.

Or you can use another resource, like souls gathered from killing enemies. That's a great idea right?

See how tactical he has to be, judiciously using his spells and potions because both of them only refill after killing about a dozen enemies? I have seen the light. Truly wonderful design.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Omg. Religious visuals in the game
Confirmed, game will be half shit.

Now let's see if the communistic duet of California and China will allow them to show tits as well. I mean, we're going back to the roots, amirite guys?

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't understand the hate on cooldowns for powerful abilities. They add another tactical layer to combat.
It's still resource-based — time is a resource.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Or you can use another resource, like souls gathered from killing enemies. That's a great idea right?

Did you saw D3 GR runs? 99% of builds relay on cooldown reduction and on sets to multiply exponentially your damage

Not sure they would do that as it fucks with balance. Weather effects would be realistic, but realistic is not what Blizzard goes for.

I know that blizzard will never do that. But when a enemy is half underwater on dark souls and take increased damage from lighning miracles and reduced damage from pyromancies, i love it...

I don't understand the hate on cooldowns for powerful abilities. They add another tactical layer to combat.
It's still resource-based — time is a resource.

They make no sense. Battlefield 1 despite having ludicrous things like a K-Bullet that IRL barely pierces 15mm of RHA armor being able to damage A7V on frontal armor but unable to pierce a medieval plate armored guy is much more immersive than SW Battlefront who has cooldowns on everything

Damned Registrations

Did you saw D3 GR runs? 99% of builds relay on cooldown reduction and on sets to multiply exponentially your damage
Exactly. They fucked their own gameplay over by completely removing the cooldown from key abilities so they're no longer situational, but simply always being used. It's as dumb as having global life/mana leech so powerful that you go from empty to full in less than a second, which is also a staple of these games, or allowing a player to invest in just one or two abilities to the exclusion of everything else so the entire game becomes spamming 1 ability while keeping up some buffs forever.

Codex Year of the Donut
They make no sense. Battlefield 1 despite having ludicrous things like a K-Bullet that IRL barely pierces 15mm of RHA armor being able to damage A7V on frontal armor but unable to pierce a medieval plate armored guy is much more immersive than SW Battlefront who has cooldowns on everything
what

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
1276169479-00.jpg

Sebastian Stępień
the current creative director for Diablo 4

Design

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) (Creative Director)

Writers
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (2012) (Lead Story and Dialogue Designer)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011) (Lead Story and Dialogue Designer)
The Witcher (Platinum Edition) (2010) (Design: Dialogue)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (2008) (Dialogue)
The Witcher (2007) (Dialogue)

A video game creative director is someone who makes sure a video game project looks fantastic in all aspects, and is often the creator of the game concept. He or she is responsible for the overall vision of the product, which includes game play, visual style, story, audio assets, cinematics, and marketing materials. Working under the supervision of the video game producer, the creative director will manage and work with video game designers, illustrators, motion graphic artists, 2D/3D animators and other professionals involved in the project. They will also interact directly with senior supervisors of each department.

Now I know who to blame is Diablo 4 will not be medieval demonic enough!?

https://fextralife.com/cyberpunk-2077s-creative-director-has-started-working-with-blizzard/

let's hope he will not be a Boyarsky II there at Blizzard.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Exactly. They fucked their own gameplay over by completely removing the cooldown from key abilities so they're no longer situational, but simply always being used. It's as dumb as having global life/mana leech so powerful that you go from empty to full in less than a second, which is also a staple of these games, or allowing a player to invest in just one or two abilities to the exclusion of everything else so the entire game becomes spamming 1 ability while keeping up some buffs forever.

Bad designed game.
With cooldown - Spam the same rotation or the same spell if you have a lot of CDR reduction
Without cooldown -Spam the same ability

Both are shit. The right one is when you have a lot of situational spells/skills and no "best spell/skill"

Damned Registrations

If you have a spell that does 100 damage in a huge AoE, and a spell that does 100 damage to one target, but the AoE one has a 15 second cooldown, do you spam it on rotation?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you have a spell that does 100 damage in a huge AoE, and a spell that does 100 damage to one target, but the AoE one has a 15 second cooldown, do you spam it on rotation?

Depends a lot.

• I an fighting one or many enemies
  • How much more resources the 100 AoE costs?
  • The 100 AoE spell have a casting time?
  • Both deal the same type elemental damage? If no, the mobs are resistant?
  • The 100 AoE spell can hit a friendly NPC?
  • The 100 AoE spell has some condition eg, moonray on M&M VI can only be used at night in outdoors
  • The 100 AoE spell require a expensive reagent?

If both are the same in everything, except in the single/multi target capabilities, then the game designer designed badly your system.

And cooldowns is just a badaid without any lore justification. Sacred 2 had cooldown and i was spamming gust of the wind 24/7 running and using the same attack since he can push enemies and deal good damage. Grin Dawn as a necromancer VS some bosses was running and waiting raise skeleton cooldown.

Damned Registrations

If both are the same in everything, except in the single/multi target capabilities, then the game designer designed badly your system.
Why? Suppose it has literally no other costs and both spells take 1 second to cast. Whether there are extra enemies or allies you might hit isn't a function of the spell but your situation. So if you need to think about that before casting it, it's not something you can use on rotation is it?

Here's some things unrelated to the spell itself that a good player would consider that don't apply to merely costing more mana:

How many enemies will my AoE hit?
Will I finishing fighting these enemies in less than 15 seconds?
Can more enemies show up in the next 15 seconds?
Do I have the choice of having more enemies show up or will it be forced on me?
Do I know if those enemies will show up or is it only a chance? How big a chance?
How fast are these enemies, can they force me to fight or can I kite them for 15 seconds without getting hurt?

If, instead, the difference between the two spells is that the AoE costs 3 times as much mana (assuming mana even matters at all), there is only one question that matters:

Will this hit at least 3 enemies?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If, instead, the difference between the two spells is that the AoE costs 3 times as much mana (assuming mana even matters at all), there is only one question that matters:

Will this hit at least 3 enemies?

People only use inferior tools or skills when they are forced. I don't like be forced.

That is my opinion,

And having weaker skills aren't a problem. In fact, having to move from fire arrow to fireball on Gothic 2 represents a sense of progression. I repeat much more skills on ArcaniA 4 or Risen 3 than in Gothic 3/2/1 and modern PB games has cooldowns, old PB games have no cooldowns. The difference is that in Risen 3 i an rolling waiting for fire rain cooldown...

Mazisky

Magister
I really don't know if they are trying to push the classic californian agenda.

The only good man in the trailer is the black one, but then he dies.

The strongest, muscular of all four is a woman. But then she dies and also she's evil.

Lilith has no boobs, but she's naked.

The game designer has a vegan tatoo, but he want to make the game grim and also you can kill goats in the demo.

I am confused.

Zerginfestor

Learned

Guess all the rumors were wrong, it's another "angelz gud, demonz bad" and has massive retcons:
-Scosglen, the bastion of Druids, which are considered uber demigods that isolate themselves to be one with nature and have essentially a city of druids with a barrier of nature magic that prevent even the most powerful wizard to come in...is now a shit hole.
-Lilith is bad gal for some reason.
-Lilith wasn't the only one that made nephalem babies. This is a massive retcon, mainly because it was constantly explained that Lilith and Inarius are the ONLY ones that did this shit, and was considered such a huge sacrilege that other renegade demons and angels were horrified by it. That's how bad that was.
-That dude in there was NOT Rathma. It was just a Triune member. Just...what? Why would Lilith want to be summoned by some random fuck that also wants to summon the Great Evils, despite the fact Lilith hates them with an extreme passion?

Sentinel

Arcane
-Lilith is bad gal for some reason.
She always was. The nephalim were created to help her fuck Heaven & Hell and rule over creation. That's why she protects humans at all costs, not (only) because she loves them.
That dude in there was NOT Rathma
That's not entirely surprising. Rathma fucking hates Lilith with a passion. it'd be weirder if it was him resurrecting her.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom