Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Ivan

Arcane
Can't wait for the OST and VO performances.

Why would they show off Guarma the most? It's the weirdest part of the game and most irrelevant.

(RDR2 spoilers ahead -- big ones, you've been apprised of the risk now, turn back)

(Edited to add spoiler tags)

Guarma kicks Arthur's physical ailment into high gear and pushes Arthur from skeptical to seriously doubtful about Dutch's continuing competence.

Considering that knife fights tend to be short and lethal, I think Dutch made a fair call with the old abuela once she pulled a knife on him; but it's made pretty clear that the player is supposed to feel he was overzealous in wanting to avoid a severed artery and/or the lady snitching to the sugar boss.

However, even though I don't consider Guarma weird or irrelevant, I can't explain why it would be a centerpiece of the video.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
Oh, I thought you'd played the game already. You're waiting for the PC version then? Get hype, because RDR2 has the best VO and OST use of any Rockstar game to date.
Really? Even better than Vice City? I mean, not that I don't believe you but that's a very high bar, almost every radio station in that game was just perfect and really nailed the 80s atmosphere.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Due to budget agreements with the wife I'm only going to get one on launch day, this or the new Star Wars. Leaning Star Wars because I'm kind of bored of open world quest market check-offs. Anyone want to persuade me there's more to this?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
xUlXZVC.png

Sentinel

Arcane
Oh, I thought you'd played the game already. You're waiting for the PC version then? Get hype, because RDR2 has the best VO and OST use of any Rockstar game to date.
Really? Even better than Vice City? I mean, not that I don't believe you but that's a very high bar, almost every radio station in that game was just perfect and really nailed the 80s atmosphere.
I mean, how can I answer that question? You're asking me to compare commercial, pop rock/disco music with songs specifically made for an open world western, and to be used at key points in the story to emphasize some moments.
Not only that but GTA isn't comparable to Red Dead in terms of OST/Narrative and the way both interact. There are no "May I (Stand Unshaken)" moments in GTA. RDR in that aspect is more akin to Nier Automata than anything.

Rev

Arcane
I mean, how can I answer that question? You're asking me to compare commercial, pop rock/disco music with songs specifically made for an open world western, and to be used at key points in the story to emphasize some moments.
Not only that but GTA isn't comparable to Red Dead in terms of OST/Narrative and the way both interact. There are no "May I (Stand Unshaken)" moments in GTA. RDR in that aspect is more akin to Nier Automata than anything.
Yeah, I think I understand what you mean and you're right that they're different games, especially in terms of vibe and tone.
And I have listened to a few RDR2's tracks on YouTube and they were very good, tbh. Guess, I'll find how good it is overall when I'll play it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Those GPU figures aren't that crazy when you consider the consoles ran it at 30fps (at best) with probably medium or lower settings, with reconstruction on everything but the X.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom