Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

v1rus

Arcane
I beat the game, around 25 hours on hard difficulty, with every single quest done.

My final time was 34 hours and I skipped a tooooon of stuff. Only did one companion quest, never did the Sublight stuff, did the Board main quest from the start instead of both. Not calling you out or anything, but obviously how "fast" one plays depends on the person and playstyle.

Curious indeed. I tend to do things "To-do list" style, exploring one hub to death, finding all quests, and then doing them the optimal way. Still, fast travel fastens the game very much, so I imagine Supernova is way longer.

Starwars

Arcane
For all my whining about the game, length sure isn't one of them for me. I think it had a great length. Definitely not long like doing all the content in New Vegas or something but it also didn't feel short to me. It's a great replayable length for a RPG as far as I'm concerned and yet didn't feel like it was over immediately.

Of course, the actual content should've been better but... the length is perfectly fine. Just needed some more girth to go with it.

I beat the game, around 25 hours on hard difficulty, with every single quest done.

My final time was 34 hours and I skipped a tooooon of stuff. Only did one companion quest, never did the Sublight stuff, did the Board main quest from the start instead of both. Not calling you out or anything, but obviously how "fast" one plays depends on the person and playstyle.

Curious indeed. I tend to do things "To-do list" style, exploring one hub to death, finding all quests, and then doing them the optimal way. Still, fast travel fastens the game very much, so I imagine Supernova is way longer.
all supernova does is add tedium. to every single aspect of the game. but anything lower than supernova is piss easy and uninteresting.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Also finished today. 36 hours, hard, did every quest I found (and I think I found them all).

It is a solid 8/10 - enjoyable game, but definitely far cry from classics like Bloodlines/New Vegas.

I liked the Firefly vibe, I chuckled during some dialogues from time to time, I enjoyed the quests...but at the same time, I was glad when it ended because I wanted it to end already, despite its short lenght. Contrast that with Kingdom Come that I played two months ago - it took me 200 hours (hardcore, all DLCs included) and I did not want it to end. Big difference in quality.

But as a first singleplayer RPG from Tim and Leon after what, 15 years? Not bad. If they could get better writers (like the ones they or Obsidian worked with previously, Mitsoda/Avellone/Fenstermaker/Gonzales) and fix the idiotic overabundance of loot, get bigger budget and more time...they could create another classic one day.

Props to Justin Bell. The soundtrack was great.

Deleted Member 16721

Alright so, I can't put this game down! Groundbreaker is such a fascinating place, great follow-up to the sprawling world of Emerald Vale. Once you get coordinates to fly your ship to new locations, things gets really interesting. I love it. Can't believe you guys don't see this game as a classic. It's going to be held in high regard as time passes, mark my words.

Felix

Arcane
Nah, just Fluent.

You might want to research a bit before opening your mouth. The game has gotten some stellar reviews including perfect scores, not just from me.
Everyone thinks your girlfriend is a 4, but you know she is a perfect 10. To prove it, you point out that she got a stellar review from the bum in front of the liquor store.
Don't you mean bums? and they praise her skills too.

Adon

Arcane
Reviewers probably gave it a high score because they’re easily amused and because when you compare it to its contemporary competitors (Borderlands 3 and Fallout 76) TOW looks much better in comparison.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Nah, just Fluent.

You might want to research a bit before opening your mouth. The game has gotten some stellar reviews including perfect scores, not just from me.

Fluent, I am curious: why do you think reviews are a good source of 'objective' judgment? Since all reviews are ultimately subjective judgments by flawed human beings, and video game journalism is widely considered as less reputable and with much more uneven quality than even 'ordinary' journalism, what is the rational basis for deferring to them? I cannot imagine that you, as a positive and fair person, would refer to them just because they happen to agree with you. I am assuming, given your constant reference to reviews, that you would respect their judgment even if they disliked a game you enjoyed as one of the best all-timers. So, what makes an IGN review so trustworthy?

"They're the best we've got", by the way, is not a logically strong justification: that would imply that some awfully written reviews from a low-reputation low-quality profession corrupted by bribery and influence scandals would be OK as long as there wasn't anything better available. Hypothetically, of course.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do drugs for fun, keep up bro. :)
Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

Remember this one?

The game has gotten some stellar reviews including perfect scores, not just from me.
You haven't even finished the game. Plus, since you don't have any standards, any opinions from you are the same as ones coming from a jester.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Frankly I'm surprised the thread is as active as it is right now. Probably because there's a steady trickle of people picking this up. Sure as shit not because there is a lot to discuss. The game exists, it's kind of sitting there being neither particularly bad nor offensive nor good. It's like a Big Mac. You can dislike it on principle but most people think it's alright and certainly better than the pig slop we've been getting otherwise.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reviewers probably gave it a high score because they’re easily amused and because when you compare it to its contemporary competitors (Borderlands 3 and Fallout 76) TOW looks much better in comparison.
this game is only successful due to bethesda hate bandwagon and it rolled 20 on luck check on the time it was announced and released. this game is 7/10 at best (even this is a score my more casual friend gave. he said it was fun for several hours and became boring. he also knew the writing is just so-so and cannot the take worldbuilding seriously because nobody in game take it seriously too)

personally i'd give it 6/10 and most of the score is probably from vicar max. i legit like his character and quest.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
this game is only successful due to bethesda hate bandwagon and it rolled 20 on luck check on the time it was announced and released.

That's part of it, but also desperation because a "Bethesda style" game hasn't really come out since Fallout 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom