Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm surprised a game that can be played actually exists.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Sam shares her experience of playing SS3 on Discord:

I rather enjoy the SS3 soundtrack, from the audio i've heard so far. The title music (which i'm not sure is public yet...) feels like a "new" version of System Shock to me, at least, while building on the old motif

At the end of the day, the audio is only as good as the mixing that's done with it, of course!

I don't know yet if there are difficulty settings planned, but you can most likely expect that the "default" experience will be pretty challenging for players expecting to be able to run in and bash everything. I don't think I have ever won a head-on combat situation with just a bludgeoning object.

Every little advantage you can get will count. ie, getting the drop on enemies, freezing them, burning them, momentarily paralyzing them, sometimes just running away

I have definitely run away in creative (and desperate) ways while plotting out how I need to progress from there

health sponge as in, they have more health than usual but aren't very smart?

I'd say a part of the real danger is, yes, they are tankier than you, but more often than not (especially in the beginning when you're working with whatever you can find), you just want to avoid combat unless you're ready for it

For anyone still dissecting the teaser, I suppose I can emphasize that affecting enemies in ANY way you can will make a life or death difference. Those extra seconds that a mutant is stunned while you squeeze past them can allow you to lock them out of an area, for example. Or if you freeze them, it's much easier to break them apart with a melee weapon.

tldr; experimenting with survival tactics, figuring out the weaknesses of the creatures crawling around, and eventually becoming experienced will grow alongside your options

I hesitate to say that you NEED to experiment to survive. I think someone could get by without killing almost anything and avoiding nearly all encounters, but it would mean you would need to be a pretty cautious player who has a strong idea of the environment layout.

So it's more like... SS3 is designed so that your playstyle should be flexible to survive. But if you're deadset on playing a certain way, you can do it, with some more informed knowledge of the area, monsters and events that may happen
They are making fun of her. They give her to play the SS enhanced version by Nightdive.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Did another layoff happen at Otherside?
thinking.png

Art Director on SS3 gave Linkedin recommendations to four developers in relatively lower positions, on October 10th.

John Ford, Animator
Jonathan Fields, Level Designer
Francisco Cruz III, Senior Environment Artist
Elizabeth LeGros, Senior Graphics Programmer

He did the same when there was mass layoff at Xaviant in 2015.

Also from Jonathan Fields' profile, written in the past tense:

During my time at OtherSide Entertainment, I worked on System Shock 3 as a Level Designer, handling level creation from initial designs, including paper mapping and grey boxing, to final iteration, including propping and pacing as well designing and implementing scripted sequences and dynamic events.

I also worked as a Tech Designer handling the designing, prototyping, and implementation of key systems for the game, utilizing both C# and visual scripting tools to prototype and implement systems.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jonathan Fields, Level Designer

Well: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-fields/

Level Designer

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Sep 2018 – Oct 2019
Employment Duration 1 yr 2 mos
Location Austin, Texas Area

During my time at OtherSide Entertainment, I worked on System Shock 3 as a Level Designer, handling level creation from initial designs, including paper mapping and grey boxing, to final iteration, including propping and pacing as well designing and implementing scripted sequences and dynamic events.

I also worked as a Tech Designer handling the designing, prototyping, and implementation of key systems for the game, utilizing both C# and visual scripting tools to prototype and implement systems.

FWIW, from Sam at Discord:

Morning from the Shock front! Things are pretty quiet here as we continue looking for a publisher.

I'm afraid that I'm not sure which publishers are interested, since mostly Walter and Paul manage those contacts... they're out of the office continuing publisher-talks this week

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
I just can't feel anything for SS3 after what happened with UA, even if it is a totally different team, and they have taken on board the massive mistakes they made with that game and ruination of the series ... just can't feel one bit of passion or excitement for this.

Part of me knows it's going to be console dumbed down to fuck again and I for one am sick and tired of supporting games that pander after the console people that demand simple *instant gratification* run at full speed everywhere to the detriment of good stealth strategic play and better first person in game mechanics, jump, crouch, lean left and right ETC., face it folks, SS3 will be simple console mechanics (it is always these days) and that's the experience ruined ... right there.

It's going to be yet another quick cash in on an old franchise that was well respected.

Am not seduced by one or two sexy screenshots, shit like that can be fabricated in hours by these people, just as it was with UA.

Let's remember, this game according to them ... was MORE than half way finished about a year or more ago, does anything we have seen since show anything like a *MORE than half finished product* after a year + of subsequent work, face it, it does not, does it? Its just another pack of lies.

Its going to be another disaster and rip off.

Egosphere

Arcane
Completely missed the gameplay trailer for this. Looks better than the teaser, they amped up the horror factor here. Doesn't look incredibly polished, but ss2 probably wasn't stellar in that department either on release. Yep, I'll probably get it based off that gameplay trailer, even though I'm not expecting it to compete with its predecessors.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Warren's interview about playstyle got me thinking: Did playstyle matter in the first System Shock?
I mean, it kind of did in the second game, due to its RPG mechanics and psi powers. But when I played SS1, there didn't seem to be a lot of options in the way you deal with enemies and such. I either leaned and shot or obliterated everything with the Laser Rapier.
Generically, there are choices to be made about what weapons and items to carry, whether you use melee, ballistic weapons, energy weapons, or grenades to deal with enemies, and whether you use patches and energy-draining implants to enhance your abilities. The gameplay systems offer a lot of freedom of approach, but you're right that there are some obvious dominant strategies that render many of these possibilities somewhat irrelevant. Enemies generally can't respond to repeated application of Minipistol rounds to the left toe, and a Laser Rapier to the face is always an effective remedy. I think the systems are genuinely more cohesive and impactful on the 3/3/3/3 difficulty, since the 7 hour time limit cuts down on a lot of degenerate strategies and turns your exploration for resources and application of acquired tools into a giant optimization problem that rewards a different and more engaging form of efficiency. You will still be barreling at enemies with the Laser Rapier a lot, but the associated health loss stings a bit more and other options become more relevant.

I don't think playstyle refers only to your choices in combat, though. A key aspect of this type of game is a focus on player agency in exploring the game world and completing objectives. While the general structure of the game is linear, players can stumble onto areas in many different orders and use the tools at their disposal to solve problems in a logical manner not prescribed by the designer. For example, in my first playthrough I didn't find the circuit breaker for the lights in Level 2 until after I had already explored the darkened Beta Quadrant, which I accomplished by illuminating my way with the Sparq Beam as I shot down the Cyborg Drones who briefly flashed before my eyes. This was all possible because of the simulated dynamic lighting system, which allowed the designers to create a tangible gameplay obstacle which afforded multiple logical solutions. This stuff seems standard now, but it shows the gameplay utility of a simulated physics system -- Ultima Underworld arguably features greater depth in this regard, despite its more primitive engine, because of its myriad of simulated systems. There's a reason Irrational reached back into Underworld's coffers for its role-playing elements and magic system when given the opportunity to make a sequel to System Shock.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Chase Jones, design director, updated this job description: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joneschase/

(No, he's still there.)

Manage internal design team using mixed methodologies to drive direction and quality of overall experience while staying within budget and on schedule. Align company leadership on project goals and priorities. Define key project concepts and features for the experience. Manage and communicate with key stakeholders and departments to ensure IP consistency and quality. Direct writers to craft complex systems for immersive and organic storytelling. Support team with hands-on design work as needed including writing, greyboxing levels, balancing, tuning, level scripting, level creation and prototype experiences.

Hm, "complex systems for immersive and organic storytelling" by writers is a curious one.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Does anyone know the sales numbers for Control Remedy? Couldn't find any so far, but found a few threads here and there that say it may have bombed (without evidence). Fact is, Epic is already selling it at a 25% discount UNTIL JANUARY. It's currently being sold at $45.

That's tough news for SS3, because Control looks like a fantastic game to me. It had a $20-30m budget.

What can SS3 do better than Control with it's $10-12m budget?

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
They are going to develop the game and in the hope that a publisher will sign on at a later point in time when the game closer to being launched.

After the UA disaster, no publisher is going to touch SS3 unless OS can prove they have a functioning game. That will have to be very close to completion, if it ever happens.

Prediction: They aren't going to have a publisher a year from now.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Starbreeze's Q3 report: https://www.starbreeze.com/2019/11/starbreeze-ab-publ-interim-q3-2019-report/

Nine-month period 2019

Net sales amounted to SEK 146.2 million (132.7). The sale of publishing rights generated SEK 140.8 million, broken down as follows: Psychonauts 2, SEK 125.1 million, 10 Crowns SEK 15.1 million and System Shock 3, SEK 3.7 million.

Direct costs amounted to SEK 176.6 million (96.3). The increase is due primarily to the recognition of the carrying amounts for the above mentioned sold publishing rights as costs.

The sale of the publishing rights to System Shock 3 and Psychonauts 2 was arranged so that Starbreeze will recover its investment over time. In accordance with IFRS reporting rules, the Group has initially recognized a loss on the deal, as IFRS 15 does not permit recognition of future royalties in revenue even if these are directly connected to the sale of the publishing rights; instead, the carrying amount of the sold asset must be immediately expensed. In future periods, only revenues related to these transactions will be recognized, as all costs have thus been absorbed.

Efe

Erudite
ss3 deserves a chance.
infinitron could you please use your alts sherry or woedica to promote ss3 a little?

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee

Nothing new here, as outlined in my previous posts on the Starbreeze reports.

Previously capitalized advances to Otherside were removed from the balance sheet and treated as one-time costs. Starbreeze will not not get any repayments until SS3 is published, and if and when that happens will recoup their investment through royalties.

The SEK 3.7 million "revenue" from SS3 is a one-time effect from the beginning of the year that pertains to advances to otherside that were already capitalized in the balance sheet, but not yet paid out when the contract got cancelled. This is no repayment, it's an accounting effect.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Steamboat Willie Yes, $6.9 million to be precise.

Although it's unclear if the first $6.9 million the game makes will go to Starbreeze alone (that's what was in the publishing contract) or if they get a percentage of sales until they reach $6.9 million.

No wonder they can't find a publisher. Makes sense now, no one wants to take on a game where someone else is already obligated to profits. They've been looking since when, March? Since then basically nothing on SS3. I'm sure by now they've already groveled for Epicbux in exchange for exclusivity, but who the fuck would look at UA and think they want more of that shit exclusive to their store?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom