Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golden Land (2004). Tell Me More.

So I've seen screenshots and read anecdotes about this RPG called Golden Land. I've read anecdotally over the past few years that it has a great spell casting system, good adventuring, and good C&C. Is this the case, or is it just eurojank? Has anyone played it? What do you guys think about it?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We need a proper investigation into this title. It was GoldenLand 2 in Russia, but I believe it was not published in English, only in Russian, Spanish and perhaps some other language.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are Golden Land (russian Златогорье 2) and it's standalone expansion Golden Land: Cold Heaven. I played both of them loong time ago. Combat is fallout inspired, TB single char with action points, setting is very Slavic Fantasy but it is not some shitty ARPG. Locations are prerendered 2D, nice music and lot of quests with different approaches. So my childhood memories about this one is much warmer (if vague) than, for example, from ToEE.

Writing was ok in Russian, but I do not know if English version ever existed.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Was there an official English version?

I know Heath: the Unchosen Path (Russian GoldenLand 1) was available in English, I even finished it and posted a short review in Really Obscure RPGs thread, but I never hear about an English release of GoldenLand 2. And Cold Heaven?

deama

Prophet
Does anyone happen to know how much it would cost for a decent translation of a game?

Old Hans

Arcane
its gameplay footage too. So you get the full golden land experience

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Can be easily found in russian. If anyone manages to get a link for the spanish translation, I'll play and tell you how it is.

bf73a7f308477d66718a8bc8296abffb.png

aaea8675d3f8a39a5493ec5ef62d84b3.png

46f96c3d0afb1807698e420383cfedaa.png

Jinn

Arcane
Every few years I see screenshots or read something about this game and get an intense urge to play it. Really wish there was an English translation. Probably never going to happen though.

:negative:

System

Educated
Is there Spanish version/patch at least? My Spanish is better than my Russian, I could give it a shot.

V_K

Arcane
Quoting myself from the obscure RPGs thread:
Don't regret it, it's abysmal. The whole "gameplay" is just running around between cities doing FedEx quests and fighting random battles on the world map. I'm not exaggerating - there's not a single quest that isn't a fedex, and not a single dungeon in the whole game.

lightbane

Arcane
Is there Spanish version/patch at least? My Spanish is better than my Russian, I could give it a shot.

Yes, I bought it for a very cheap price long ago. Unfortunately, it wasn't very good, I quickly got bored and forgot about it.

Modron

Arcane
https://uloz.to/!twKDf9rxY/goldenland-coldheaven-rar

Here's the game in Russian, I can't find any info about it even with google. I can't download it from that link, however, because the Germans have decided to be cockblockers and restrict my access to that site.
The codex had a number of previews and interviews of it back then when it looked like they were going to release it in English but that never happened.

thesecret1

Arcane
This game's fucking great, replayed it so many times back around its release. The game's genuinely great, but it got a lot of flak around release, since it starts just mercilessly – you will get your shit pushed in every random encounter and really have to all those non-combat quests and latch onto whichever companion you can (companions are very, very limited and have permadeath, so careful not to get them killed, you will not get them back) in order to just survive and get somewhere. After you get past the starting city, however, you'll start being able to punch back, and the game starts to really shine with its systems – imagine fantasy fallout, basically, but with a lot more focus on combat/magic system instead of non-combat. The game's really big with a wide variety of enemies and locations, and many quests, which I think are one of the game's strongest points. The game has little in the manner of traditional C&C – you don't get to see consequences of your actions all that often (that is not to say there aren't any such situations, though), but many of the quests offer very different ways of solving them and are usually written with good fluff so as to be interesting (which they succeed at, even the most mundane ones).

As for the weakpoints, the game's plot is one of those "fight BBEG which you can only reach by conveniently being dragged throughout the entire game map" and isn't very interesting, but it's not really the kind of game you'd play for the main quest. World reactivity is also very low, so don't expect much on that front.

Overall, it's a good RPG that I could easily see as being counted among Codex classics (probably not the top contender, but a good position in the polls for sure) if only it were translated into English. If you know any Russian, Polish, or Czech, definitely find yourself a copy and give it a spin, I think you won't be disappointed (unless you give up during the early game, but surely Codexers can handle a bit of challenge, right?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom